The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Another thought that I've had all day... Is anybody else a little surprised that the Philadelphia Inquirer would run a story about a drum corps director in Allentown, PA? I can hear readers now: "drum corps? what is that? what do you mean he's a god? drum corps is your religion?" (and some of the comments at the bottom of the story reflect this)

It's a terrible story, and (if true) the guy deserves to be shamed in every venue. And women who experience this sort of thing should have a means to tell their story.

I'm not trying to diminish the magnitude of the story, but I would think the Cadets would be a small organization for such a large newspaper to profile so extensively. 

If you look into the things that have earned this paper Pulitzer’s, they aren’t always about things people would not consider big. Good journalism is about good investigation and human interest.  The writer did a pretty good job. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tedrick said:

"If these accusations are verified and proven..."

as I previously mentioned, there is really no way they can be "proven". They happened years ago and it is the word of one person against the word of another. For the purposes of the drum corps community [yes, all of us] these stories are all the proof necessary to disassociate our activity from GH. Let the legal system deal with legal proof, we have all the proof we need.

Edited by flugelswerebugels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoValves said:

All due respect, these allegations are not even remotely close to Nassar or Penn State.  Those involved children, in unsupervised situations.   The majority of these allegations were in a workplace, involving one adult sexually harassing another adult.  Yes it is bad.  No, it is not the same thing.  

Except that time he raped a teenager. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwoValves said:

"Just being clear that it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue, and not a case of young children being left alone with a predator in situations like showers or exam rooms. "

Except for that time he raped a teenager.

Edited by flugelswerebugels

36 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Another thought that I've had all day... Is anybody else a little surprised that the Philadelphia Inquirer would run a story about a drum corps director in Allentown, PA? I can hear readers now: "drum corps? what is that? what do you mean he's a god? drum corps is your religion?" (and some of the comments at the bottom of the story reflect this)

It's a terrible story, and (if true) the guy deserves to be shamed in every venue. And women who experience this sort of thing should have a means to tell their story.

I'm not trying to diminish the magnitude of the story, but I would think the Cadets would be a small organization for such a large newspaper to profile so extensively. 

The reach of that paper is huge 

It pains me to read these stories. Makes my blood boil reading how Hopkins selfishly took advantage of pretty much the whole organization in such a disgusting and hurtful way, allegedly anyways but I believe these woman.

I think the Cadets are strong enough to survive this, but YEA must take these allegations seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Let's say Hopkins is fired.  Let's say anyone who knew about this and said nothing is fired.  Who could take over YEA and the Cadets in a manner that would be seamless to their operation?

Seamless? It should not be seamless, the organization obviously needs some serious shakeup.

• Like 2