Akron, OH - June 23, 2018

I might be turning into a DCI Dino, but Phantom’s show kind of bugs me. The props and tarps don’t really add anything to the show at the moment, and all of those “feeling” moments Will Pitts talked about are just not there.  Maybe this is one that has to grow, but right now it feels like one where they Didn’t have clarity of idea here and threw a bunch of elements in the blender.

Mike

Drum majors wearing black PR head receptacles.

• Haha 1

Audience member shouts "WE LOVE YOU CADETS" as they take the field.

Crowd all cheers.

I may or may not have teared up at home watching.

• Like 7

The theater broadcast did so well getting her first baton pull.  Glad to see it again.

Fun moment with a guard member swinging on one of the props like a jungle gym.

Opening soloists, great sound.

Already like the hornline sound over last year. Much more balanced. Great mello rip in the opening statement!

• Like 1

Let me guess - That rifle toss was on the close up cam...

Cadets victory is that they are here at all. Good for them.

Love the Garfield G beginning and I’m sentimental, so the Holsinger was my favorite part. The show seems fine overall and a good new start for them. Doesn’t seem to have fatal flaws like so many of their recent offerings. Nothing made me cringe, and that hasn’t  happened in a Cadets show for MANY a year.

I think I like the uniform, though I find the pants too busy. If they had less drizzles, it might make for a cleaner appearance. The black on the back works well.

Didn’t really get a sense of the “Unity” idea, but perhaps it will form more as the season progresses. I would love to see them fold into the block in the rear corner from Appalachian Spring to end by finals. We’ll see if that happens. 

My guess is they will stay in the 6-8 range and build from there, but we shall see.

• Like 2

They sound better than premier night.