Has Audience Culture Changed?

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

giphy.gif

And I hollered over to Ethel. I said, "Don't look, Ethel!" But it was too late. She'd already been incensed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eh, some people who are currently disappointed (rightly or wrongly) are here because drum corps was once highly meaningful to them, and they'd like it to be that way again.

Can you name times where DCP posts changed the activity in the direction a poster requested?

I think some people just like to complain.

Edited by TheClutch
Typos
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheClutch said:

Can you name times where DCP posts changed the activity in direction a poster requested?

But you could play that game with everything anyone says here, good or bad.

2 hours ago, Lead said:

Shows have changed. There used to be literally 6-8 seconds of nothing built in between 4 separate pieces of the show.

Now a show is one continuous thing. Most shows don't have 'applause moments' built in. 

Even (competitive) high school shows are now doing the same thing. It's one concept and one flow, and typically that flow isn't broken.

Wait what? Surely you don’t believe this. Yes there may not be 6-8 seconds of silence in between movements but I’d hardly say a full flowing show without any pauses in between for audience reaction is the norm. 

I’m not saying such a thing doesn’t exist, Bluecoats’ opener this year is just one example where they forego the opportunity for an audience reaction (fake opening chord) and press on to the next piece of music. But I would say a majority of shows still have discernible separate movements divided by small breaks in between to allow for audience reaction.

With the expanded and electronic pit, transitions are a lot more free flowing than they used to be in the 80s (to the point that sometimes listening to a show from back then sounds a little disjointed), but it seems like most corps still follow the traditional show setup of opener —> 2nd movement —> ballad —> drum break —> closer or some variation of that format.

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

No

Smart edit, but just a little too slow 

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's worth remembering that even in classical music world, the idea that audiences should be quiet during the performance is relatively recent and would have seemed strange to many of the most famous composers.

Saw a St. Louis Symphony concert several years back, when Leonard Slatkin was their music director and conductor.

After the first movement in one piece, he turned around, smiled, and said, "feel free to applaud between movements... it helps let us know how we're doing!!!"

• Haha 1