Has Audience Culture Changed?

On 7/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Funny. I was at the show yesterday and the first corps to get a rousing Standing O (and before their show was done) were the Colts.  Just f’en WOW.  The next corps was not until Crossmen, but not until their show was done and it appeared to be a hometown reaction.  Cavies got a reaction, but what stuck in my head is that Corps from Iowa blew the stands and fans away like old time drum corps did BITD.  

People dig what they dig and that's okay. :satisfied: If they were turned on that seriously by that performance... it's something those members of the Colts will take with them for the rest of their lives. Seriously meaningful to know you did a gig so powerful you truly moved people somewhere at some time.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:53 PM, Precious Roy said:

Crossmen's '91 Pat Metheny show is another favorite example of mine.

One of my personal fave shows of all time. A lot of very different things happening within it and memorable. I like it more than '92 by far, which might cause some folks to wonder but I'm okay with that. Mainly... I prefer the far more radical horn book.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

when i leaked the G7 documents

Would you consider that leak in a different category than a poster who comments "all the shows suck" or something similar on thread after thread?

Or do you think they have similar impact?

Maybe the leak is a bit more than the "drum corps is worse now" I originally posted when I said delete your account.

Was the impact of the leaked docs on show design? 

Edited by TheClutch
Additional question

On 7/22/2018 at 6:32 PM, Jim Schehr said:

Many of these productions don't translate or communicate well to the audience. It is unfortunate that the activity has become monkey see monkey do. Very few come up with a creative, original idea. My heart goes out to marching members - they're only a reflection of what was put in front of and/or on them. Truth be told, if I never see some of these productions again this season, I won't feel like I missed anything.

For me it's about the music and marching and the quality of performance. I miss the high velocity intricate marching drills which are now replaced with jumping, hopping, skipping, running, posing, twirling, laying down, ballet, dancing, and now gymnastic tumbling, not to mention the pushing, pulling, dragging, lifting, climbing, standing and riding of props. Only a few corps have the prop thingie down - most props are horribly made and grossly underutilzed.

My polite applause at the end of a performance is not always for the production but instead for the marching members trying to do the best with what they were given, and a reason to stretch my legs. 

Couldn't agree more....

I rarely hear any real emotion in the musical arrangements these days.... it feels like a case of cramming in as many notes as possible for a few bars then move on to the next song (and repeat).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Took my sister and nephew to the first drum corps show last year at Centerville. She liked Cascades' show the most!

I find it interesting taking new people to shows. They don't know or understand the concept that the "best" corps always get to go last and just enjoy the shows for what they are. Fun to see a different perspective.

I wish we would change the performance order schtick, personally. I'd LOVE to see a DCI Prelims on Thursday where it's a completely open, random draw. If that means Blue Devils perform at 2:10pm followed by Spartans and then Colts, so be it. It would be fun for fans. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But is that a good thing or a bad thing?

That wasn't the question. As a band director myself, it's THE thing and in order to play the game I go along with it. 

It works, and it's artistic. Which - for top programs - is what we're going for these days. Many competitive band programs don't even stay for the rest of the football game after the halftime show anymore. We don't.

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Wait what? Surely you don’t believe this. Yes there may not be 6-8 seconds of silence in between movements but I’d hardly say a full flowing show without any pauses in between for audience reaction is the norm. 

I’m not saying such a thing doesn’t exist, Bluecoats’ opener this year is just one example where they forego the opportunity for an audience reaction (fake opening chord) and press on to the next piece of music. But I would say a majority of shows still have discernible separate movements divided by small breaks in between to allow for audience reaction.

With the expanded and electronic pit, transitions are a lot more free flowing than they used to be in the 80s (to the point that sometimes listening to a show from back then sounds a little disjointed), but it seems like most corps still follow the traditional show setup of opener —> 2nd movement —> ballad —> drum break —> closer or some variation of that format.

Surely I do believe it. Go watch a show from the 80s and 90s. Watch a DCI (or good high school) show from today. There are built-in 'down' moments, but there's always something going on during those moments - we joke (not joke) that the transitions in your show are more important than the actual substance anymore because it's all that seems to make it on the tapes.

All this being said - my favorite show of all time is Madison 1995 because of the out-of-control fan reaction at the end of Malaga, the fact that when I first saw the PBS broadcast (first corps I had ever seen, didn't know what DCI was), I couldn't hear the show at the end because of the audience. 

But it's a different game now.

5 minutes ago, Lead said:

I find it interesting taking new people to shows. They don't know or understand the concept that the "best" corps always get to go last and just enjoy the shows for what they are. Fun to see a different perspective.

That’s why i would make start of Prelims and leave before last couple of corps(would see them at Finals anyway). Some are there for the crowd or some would have tot try to do something with the numbers they have. Anymore top full size corps are getting more and more alike so enjoy the variety