Has Audience Culture Changed?

26 minutes ago, BigW said:

In Pennsylvania, it most certainly is and woe betide anyone who bucks that trend.

Well the FOOTBALL field is for FOOTBALL ya know. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

Don't blame the audience, maybe the shows are too artistic and need several viewing to better understand them. The audience is the same but the scoring has changed, can't compare shows from 70's - design + crowd reaction, to 80's - design + crowd reaction, etc..so maybe the audience don't know how to react regardless if it's TOP 6! 

The audience consumes a different amount of media daily than they did 10, 20, 30 years ago.

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well the FOOTBALL field is for FOOTBALL ya know. 

Yep! :laugh:

The HS I went to was on the short list of the 3 worst in PA. The mergers haven't helped. I won't go back to the band alumni day gathering partly for that reason. It's a train wreck.

Because of this topic, I went googling for the "psychology of applause" and standing ovations.

Found some stuff.

This guy says, it has little to do with the performance, but is a contagion:

http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/10/85/20130466

This one talks about the science of applause:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/science-behind-spread-of-applause.htm

People who attend classical arts (ballet, symphony) actually disagree on whether applauding mid-performance is good:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/debate-what-do-you-think-of-mid-performance-applause

On Broadway, over recent years, there have been complaints about too many standing ovations, to the point this New Yorker article had to defend them:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/in-defense-of-the-standing-ovation

I don't know if any of these articles provide answers, but they may be "food for thought".

12 hours ago, BigW said:

It still is:

I'm in this video chucking them pretty hard, BTW.  :innocent:

Paul got a good laugh too i see down front

9 hours ago, TheClutch said:

Would you consider that leak in a different category than a poster who comments "all the shows suck" or something similar on thread after thread?

Or do you think they have similar impact?

Maybe the leak is a bit more than the "drum corps is worse now" I originally posted when I said delete your account.

Was the impact of the leaked docs on show design? 

oh the leak had far more impact. designers generally mock posters that trash their designs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how the relationship between the band and football team is with band leaving early. College had a great relationship as team knew the band would support them to the end. And they were .500 if they were lucky . Oh yeah western PA College 

sometimes bands have to leave if they have another gig and they need it for qualifying reasons. Most times it's known by all, even announced...saw it once as the band left the PA announcer wished the band luck at their competition that night and the crowd cheered.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

sometimes bands have to leave if they have another gig and they need it for qualifying reasons. Most times it's known by all, even announced...saw it once as the band left the PA announcer wished the band luck at their competition that night and the crowd cheered.

That I can see but as usual every game procedure ugh 

2 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

Don't blame the audience, maybe the shows are too artistic and need several viewing to better understand them. The audience is the same but the scoring has changed, can't compare shows from 70's - design + crowd reaction, to 80's - design + crowd reaction, etc..so maybe the audience don't know how to react regardless if it's TOP 6! 

Oh lord now we’ve gotten to the point where we’re complaining about art being too artistic :lle: DCP is crazytown

• Haha 1