Has Audience Culture Changed?

52 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Because of this topic, I went googling for the "psychology of applause" and standing ovations.

Found some stuff.

This guy says, it has little to do with the performance, but is a contagion:

http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/10/85/20130466

This one talks about the science of applause:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/science-behind-spread-of-applause.htm

People who attend classical arts (ballet, symphony) actually disagree on whether applauding mid-performance is good:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/debate-what-do-you-think-of-mid-performance-applause

On Broadway, over recent years, there have been complaints about too many standing ovations, to the point this New Yorker article had to defend them:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/in-defense-of-the-standing-ovation

I don't know if any of these articles provide answers, but they may be "food for thought".

Look up why some LOVE  loud music. interesting when you actually read WHY some think louder is better.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:10 PM, GUARDLING said:

Not at all, the point is WGI, DCI DCA, BOA,, is all pretty much the same people.It's only natural things would start to blend over which has been going on for decades.

As far as other tastes, you couldn't be more wrong. One can also twist that and say some are so encrusted with their own ideas of what any of those places should be that they ( as you say ) can't experience other possible tastes.

I do not find it "natural" when the entire majority of DCI, all in one season, leave uniforms and headgear behind and adopt show-specific costumes.

59 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh lord now we’ve gotten to the point where we’re complaining about art being too artistic :lle: DCP is crazytown

Then you get unartistic scrugs like me who just go to be entertained.... lol

On 7/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, smr17 said:

I'm new here so I'm just genuinely curious if anyone agrees, but it seems like watching older videos ('00-'12) there are many instances when the corps would have audiences up and cheering maybe even before the last hit. Now I'm usually disappointed by the lack of excitement in audiences and feel like the standing ovations at the end are weaker and come out of obligation. Does anyone agree and maybe know what has changed? Am I crazy? (please feel free to tell me)

Last week, we were complaining about too much screaming from fans.  I do not think the audience culture has changed since last week.  Response just varies from one show to another.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not find it "natural" when the entire majority of DCI, all in one season, leave uniforms and headgear behind and adopt show-specific costumes.

" Natural"? what's natural. It's also been coming on for quite sometime

Edited by GUARDLING

57 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Ironically, it may well be that the audiences most plugged into DCI are the ones least likely to be impressed with what they see on the field. Imagine showing up to a show, today, and having no clue what any corps is performing. Id say this is what dci was before the Internet. Now, in Broken Arrow, I’d guess the vast majority of that crowd has seen almost all of these shows at least once, possibly more than once.

its kind of how we now judge Star Wars films. Everything is measured in the context of the greatest sci fi films of all time. Imagine seeing the latest Star Wars film 30 years ago!

Btw every live event is experiencing the same thing. Pro sports is totally different in the age of television and the Internet.

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Look up why some LOVE  loud music. interesting when you actually read WHY some think louder is better.

Some people's natural levels of applause is very loud too. While others... well... not so much. Scientists are unclear why some think soft applause is better.

Image result for loud applause gifs

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Now, in Broken Arrow, I’d guess the vast majority of that crowd has seen almost all of these shows at least once, possibly more than once.

I'm not sure that is even the case. Watch the bootleg crowd-sourced videos of Bloooo's show on youtube, and there is still a reaction to the fake hit in the opener (even in the latest shows), as though they didn't know that was coming. I bet less than half are still seeing the shows for the first time.

Edited by Precious Roy

7 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I'm not sure that is even the case. Watch the bootleg crowd-sourced videos of Bloooo's show on youtube, and there is still a reaction to the fake hit in the opener (even in the latest shows), as though they didn't know that was coming. I bet less than half are still seeing the shows for the first time.

But if half are, that’s infinitely more than those who saw shows more than once, anywhere, even a decade ago.