meteoric rises of old

DCX sucked me into a drum corps info whirlpool the other day, and I landed for some time on the Velvet Knights. From 1981 to 1984 they finished 33 then 21 then 17 then 12. A really incredible run that left them in finals for eight of the next nine years. What are some causes of this? I'm guessing show design was much less a factor in judging, so was this the result of a commitment to instruction?

From 1992 to 1993, Colts jumped eight spots to make finals. I'm guessing design had more to do with it than in the 80s, but what else happened? @arrangerX, any comment?

What are some other examples? And what happened to enable them? (obviously Star of Indiana went from not existing to finals, but that's a special case)

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

From 1992 to 1993, Colts jumped eight spots to make finals. I'm guessing design had more to do with it than in the 80s, but what else happened? @arrangerX, any comment? 

The corps talent had to improve whether they retained some improved veterans or picked up stronger mm from other corps.  The talent of the teaching/writing staff has always been important, so maybe there was some new experienced staff who came on board.

Suncoast Sound comes to mind. 

It's incredibly more competitive today than it was 25+ years ago.

The corps that have survived have survived for a reason. Survival of the fittest has played out very strongly in DCI over the years. 

Not only is it hard to survive money wise, it's hard to find and keep great instructors, talented members, volunteers, and touring is also much more involved. Charter bus companies charge a ton. Hundreds of thousands. 

Most of the corps that we have today have been around a long time and have developed a system that provides stability and continuity. They are strong and competitive. To jump a bunch of places nowadays is incrementally more difficult because of this. 

Boston's jump last year from barely 12th to 6th is astonishing. In order to do that, a lot of great things need to somehow happen all at once. 

Personally I think the biggest factor is staff.

Great, experienced drum corps show writers and instructors are in short supply. 

Retaining talented vets are the other big factor. Convincing them to stay and buy into the program rather than chase a medal.

I am betting that in addition to aquiring great staff, BAC was able to ride momentum with a good show in 2016 when they came from behind and nabbed that last finals spot. I think the corps took a lot of pride in that and was able to use that moment to convince a lot of vets to stick around and ride the wave. 

It was easier to do this 30+ years ago. Not so anymore. It's just way too competitive now.

Blue Stars are also somewhat of a great example. Great corps in the early 70s, faded out of relevancy for a while as far as division 1, came back strong in lower divisions, couple decades later made its way back to world class and went right into 14th, then 14th, then finals in which this year would have been, 2012 13th place removed, 11 years in a row.

Money, staff, and retainment. 

Edited by BoyWonder1911

In the Lucas Oil Stadium-era (2009-present), there's nothing even remotely like this. The closest I can find are:

Legends - 34 in 2011 then 30, 29, 29, 25, 24, 22 (+12)
Music City - 32 in 2011 then 31, 25, 27, 27, 27, 24. (+8)
Genesis - 30 in 2011 then 29, 23, 23, 22, 23, 23 (+7)
Vanguard Cadets - 23 in 2011 then 22, 21, 18, 16, 20, 16 (+7)

*2011 is the starting point for most corps because that is when the current model of all play on prelims day came into being.

If you'd like...here's the other direction:

Pioneer - 21 in 2009 then 23, 27, 27, 28, 30, 29, 29, 33 (-12)
Jersey Surf - 20 in 2009 then 21, 25, 20, 22, 22, 28, 26, 27 (-7)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Blue Devils 1973-1976

24th to 9th to 3rd to 1st.

It is always fun to look at who is in 24th place and imagine them winning it all 3 years later.

Last year's #24 was Music City. I'm a HUGE fan of their show this year so I'd be happy to see them continue upwards :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

The talent of the teaching/writing staff has always been important, so maybe there was some new experienced staff who came on board.

Maybe a staff that had more of a sense of humor, knew that there is a place for some levity in design and would be rewarded. Maybe the judges were fun people back then as well. Today, listening to a former dci creative director playing down shows like Drum Corps Bride discouraging that type of drum corp saying the fans are too sophisticated for that type of entertainment today. Please speak for yourself Mr. Director. Drum Corps fans have a large pallet and are sick of limiting their drum corps experience to a bunch of judges who lost all touch with the audience and need stuff only they appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Spirit of Atlanta: From 23d in 1977 to 6th in 1978.

• Like 2