Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

11 hours ago, tedrick said:

there are points in the Cadets show where the combined vocal ensemble blends with the hornline - and it is angelic and very emotionally powerful --

They were on the right track last season - this season they have really taken the vocal ensemble effect a long way --

Totally agree.  The emotional punch offered by the voices mixed artfully with the rest of the ensemble is huge.  I also have noticed that over the season, the vocalists have REALLY fine tuned their roles in the show, both musically AND visually.  I love seeing them do some drill!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Totally agree.  The emotional punch offered by the voices mixed artfully with the rest of the ensemble is huge.  I also have noticed that over the season, the vocalists have REALLY fine tuned their roles in the show, both musically AND visually.  I love seeing them do some drill!

Exactly. I don't need a translator, I don't care if I can understand what they're saying (I'm not big on lyrics in music I listen to anyways, they tend to get ignored). The emotional impact and timbre they add to the ensemble is what makes them excellent 

• Like 5

I wish VK was still around to offer the audience a vocal ensemble or soloist singing in Swedish Chef. Or, Monty Python’s SPAM song. 

This isn’t Glee or Pitch Perfect.  I’m not sure you can sense my abject hatred for singing in drum corps.  It adds nothing to the performance and reduces the best brass and percussion lines in the world to backup band status.  

If you go to a drum corps competition and all you remember is a singer, I think that’s horrible.

DCI = Drum Choir International: What a joke my once great activity has become. This Saturday’s trip to DCI Finals will be my last.  

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Most of it does indeed suck.....  But there are notable exceptions.  Boston 2017, Cadets 2018 and Bluecoats.  Those shows were better because of vocals.

I VERY much enjoyed Crown's ballad last year, wish it hadn't received so much hate. 

Cadets ballad is perfect this year, so moving. 

Love how Bloo incorporates Lady Day into the ballad and in her spotlight- she is the best vocalist DCI has had in my opinion. 

Pre-recorded vocals covering what could have otherwise been well-played music can go to hell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

I VERY much enjoyed Crown's ballad last year, wish it hadn't received so much hate. 

Love how Bloo incorporates Lady Day into the ballad and in her spotlight- she is the best vocalist DCI has had in my opinion. 

Pre-recorded vocals covering what could have otherwise been well-played music can go to hell. 

Honestly I would've rather had pre-recorded vocals being well integrated into a show than Crown's poor implementation of vocals in the ballad last year. The vocals should always be background/support and NEVER the main focus over the hornline. This is why I (and I suspect many others) find Cadets' and Bloo's implementations much more effective this year than Crown's last year. 

And here's an obligatory disclaimer that I'm talking about the design team's design decisions than the girl who sang, she just did what she was given. 

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it's reasonable for audiences who don't speak Icelandic or Spanish to respond: this corps is obviously performing for someone other than me.

Choirs sing music written in all sorts of languages. I know I sang music in Latin, German, French and Hebrew in my college days. One of my favorite singers sung most of her music in Chinese (the late Deng Li Jun, the woman in my sig), and I have no idea what the words mean, just that I enjoy listening to her sing. When we went to Portugal, we listened to traditional folk music called Fado, and enjoyed it enough to purchase a couple of CDs, in spite of not knowing any Portugese. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly I would've rather had pre-recorded vocals being well integrated into a show than Crown's poor implementation of vocals in the ballad last year. The vocals should always be background/support and NEVER the main focus over the hornline. This is why I (and I suspect many others) find Cadets' and Bloo's implementations much more effective this year than Crown's last year. 

And here's an obligatory disclaimer that I'm talking about the design team's design decisions than the girl who sang, she just did what she was given. 

I think it might just be a difference of opinion on Crown 2017; personally, I enjoyed the vocals, and I thought that it allowed for the sonorities of the supporting horn line to come out well- similarly to having a solo horn playing the beginning of the ballad. However, I accept the criticism and agree that she should not have been overtop for the second part of the ballad, even though it still worked for me. 

To me, the show should be about the performers, and prerecorded vocals take away from that, with a few exceptions. 

15 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

"NO one To kNOW one" is a highlight for me of the past decade. Cadets have used singing well, IMO, starting in 2006. BAC last season and of course Bloo this year are wonderful uses of voice.

• Like 1