The Cadets 2019

On 8/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, George Dixon said:

there's a lot going on with #2 that we can't discuss right now - I have all "second hand" information but it seems to add up. I'm sure they'll be some announcements once the August blockade lifts. What I'm hoping we end up with is "the best of both worlds" - VERY wgi style "staging" in parts of the show combined with classic Cadets run and gun. Done well - thats a tough visual combination to beat. The corps already took some steps toward this in 2018. 

recruitment this fall/winter is so key - they need to hit the brass side of things heavy in Texas, Virginia and the south. As you say - having a positive summer and fun show (that many young people loved (check out Reddit) will help. So will some of the offseason announcements as well as no GH

I have a lot of confidence they will put a stronger product on the field in 2019, building upon an already improved 2018

Exciting! I'm hoping for a finish in the the 4th-6th spot this coming summer - a couple more points added to that score. Each 2 pts at this level is quite substantial. 

Im

If the Cadets organization decide that a move is needed, then I hope they move to Texas.  With a state population moving closer and closer to the 30 million mark most of the Cadets recruitment issues could be eliminated. 

Edited by bluesman

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

They closed to gap on Cavies and Boston significantly.

They didn't close any gap on Boston.

Perhaps that was your perception.  But the reality of Cadets vs. Boston for 2018 was Cadets were behind Boston at a margin of 2.05 their first head to head and behind Boston 2.088 last head to head with an average margin gap the entire season head to head of +2.60800.

Edited by Liahona

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

If the Cadets organization decide that a move is needed, then I hope they move to Texas.  Wish a state population moving closer and closer to the 30 million mark most of the Cadets recruitment issues could be eliminated. 

For Crossmen, the move to Texas has been more successful than many anticipated, and your recruitment comment could be true, so there could be merit to moving to Texas, but there are also other things to consider. One, lots of kids from Texas march drum corps but do not march with the corps with homes based in Texas.  As a matter of fact I met two brothers who marched with Cadets in 2013 and hailed from Texas. They marched with Glassmen the previous year. Cadets are still rebuilding. As George Dixon’s post shows, they seem to have all the right plans and structures in place, and next year could be memorable, but I would think a drastic move could thwart the progress being made. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

Perhaps that was your perception.  But the reality of Cadets vs. Boston for 2018 was Cadets were behind Boston at a margin of 2.05 their first head to head and behind Boston 2.088 last head to head with an average margin gap the entire season head to head of +2.60800.

Thanks for letting me know.  I will edit out my incorrect comment

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

and I personally thought both corps were scored slightly too low at finals - and both could/should? have moved up one spot

the other dynamic was that the season prior Boston came out behind Cadets then passed them in FL and pulled away; at least this year the Cadets "held serve" all season against a very well-designed Boston program -- THAT was an improvement. How many recent seasons have Cadets somewhat stumbled at the finish line?

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

so - back to Cadets 2019

The fact that BOTH corps (Cadets & Cadets2) IMPROVED (and I personally think quite dramatically) this past season speaks volumes about the inherent strength of this organization

I'm going to make a BOLD prediction RIGHT NOW

Cadets will finish 5th or above in DCI in 2019 - just too much good will and too many good rumors (soon to be news) 

Cadets2 have a great shot at finishing top 3 or winning DCA in 2019

I could see both corps benefiting from everyone's realization that this organization was always MUCH more than a 1 man operation

That individual being expelled has provided a flood of new volunteers and potential staff members

Will be VERY exciting in 2019 - IMO

I'm HYPED!

Upcoming experience weekend & camps - here we grow!

Cadets experience weekend (potential C & C2 members who want to experience a bit of it):

Metlife Stadium November 10th

Camp #1 - Nov. 16-18
Camp #2 - Dec. 7-9
Camp #3 - Jan 4-6
Camp #4 - Jan 25-27

The new era continues!

Oh please do tell. 

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

and I personally thought both corps were scored slightly too low at finals - and both could/should? have moved up one spot

the other dynamic was that the season prior Boston came out behind Cadets then passed them in FL and pulled away; at least this year the Cadets "held serve" all season against a very well-designed Boston program -- THAT was an improvement. How many recent seasons have Cadets somewhat stumbled at the finish line?

Absolutely.  I really enjoyed The Cadets program this past season.  I can't say the same for 2016 or 2017 Cadet programs as they were just not my taste. Considering what the Cadets had to persevere though this past season is a testament to the strength of both their new staff and members alike. Those that bet against the 10 time world champion do it at their own peril.

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I will edit out my incorrect comment

You were right though that they closed gap on Cavies.

First head to head Cavies were up 3.750 and last head to head just .988 with an average head to head margin of 2.43250.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesman said:

i've read a lot of comments about relocating the corps.  Perhaps they could join their former YEA sister corps the Crossmen down here in Texas. Admittedly i know nothing about Crossmen's financial situation since moving to San Antonio, but there is a considerable talent pool from which to fill the marching ranks. There's another reason for them to move here...... winter rehearsals can be done outside and in shorts no less.    LOL

if you thought Corssmen Alumni had outrage when this happened...can you imagine it with the Cadets?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluesman said:

If the Cadets organization decide that a move is needed, then I hope they move to Texas.  With a state population moving closer and closer to the 30 million mark most of the Cadets recruitment issues could be eliminated. 

Well.... since George Dixon and I would like to see them closer to where we live in the DC-Annapolis-Baltimore area, then forget Texas and make the move to the DC-Annapolis-Baltimore area!!! :tongue:

• Haha 1