2019 Predictions!

13 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

The Cadets were 1.9875 out of 6th place on finals night last year. The Cavaliers were closer to Crown than Cadets. I was impressed with what the Cadets did last year based on the turmoil they faced in the off season, but take that away and I wasn’t impressed at all. The first time I saw Cadets was ‘83 and I can say with certainty the 2018 show was my least favorite of any Cadet show I’ve ever seen. It was a 7th - 9th place show from a design perspective, and I actually felt both Blue Stars and Blue Knights had better designed shows last year. That all being said, it could be the result of a lot of the program components being decided before George left, and it being too late to make such drastic changes.

I think George leaving was the best thing to happen to this organization in YEARS, and I do feel they are in good hands and their future is bright, but it’s not going to be an easy road back. It’s not going to take a couple of years to approach the top 3 again, it’s probably going to many years, if not a decade or more. Gone are the days when a corps could have an off season by finishing 6th or 7th and win or make top 3 the next year. SCV fell out of the top 3 (the last time) in 2005 and it took 12 years to get back there. Cavies fell out in 2012 and they still haven’t threatened the top 3. Phantom fell out in 2013 and their downward trend continues. It is just way too hard to crack that top 3 these days. I don’t think BAC is going to do it this year either. SCV, BD, Bluecoats and Crown are just too good. The only show I didn’t like last year more than Crown (in the top 12) was Regiment’s, but I feel if Crown had a better designed product they would have been closer to 3rd than 5th.

if the 2019 Cadets put out a great show from a design and execution standpoint, then I will be thrilled. I’m old school - it just doesn’t feel right to me without SCV, BD, Cadets, Madison and Regiment being the top corps. The Cadets, at least, are in a far better position than Madison or Regiment, so that is something to be hugely thankful for.

except they weren't

6 The Cavaliers 93.213
7 The Cadets 92.225

and Crown was well ahead of Cavaliers

4 Carolina Crown

in fact - Cadets were closer to Cavaliers than Cavaliers were to Boston (a 1.1 point gap) & closer to Cavaliers than BD was to SCV

Edited by George Dixon

20 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

To be a constant contender you have to show consistency. Blue Devils have - no brainer. Vanguard has for the past two years, being the only other corps in years to win most of the captions at finals, and the only corps other than the Blue Devils, since the 2006 Cavaliers to finish in the top 2 two years in a row. 

Crown 2012-2013?

2 hours ago, Roos_Wayne said:

Crown 2012-2013?

Shhhh.  

Crown has gone from darling to "favorite corps to predict dropping so my corps can move up".   Unfortunately (or fortunately for us Crownies 🙂  )  they show no sign of going anywhere -- they're just too darn good.  So yeah I'm sure we'll see lots of Crown in 6th predictions again.  

My prediction is that the new design team has settled in now and will knock it out of the park in 2019.  

2 hours ago, karuna said:

Shhhh.  

Crown has gone from darling to "favorite corps to predict dropping so my corps can move up".   Unfortunately (or fortunately for us Crownies 🙂  )  they show no sign of going anywhere -- they're just too darn good.  So yeah I'm sure we'll see lots of Crown in 6th predictions again.  

Placement predictions in preseason are just fun things for all of us to do, and not to be taken too seriously. You predicted last pre season ( June ) that your favorite Corps Carolina  Crown would battle it out with the Blue Devils for the 2018 Title, and that the two Corps would be in their own separate tier alone for the 2018 Title( You had SCV/ Bloo below, and in their own tier to battle it out for 3rd/ 4th place medals ). If you want to predict Crown 1st or 2nd once again once again this season, and maybe some others " 6th " again or whatever, thats all fine and cool as well. Nobody knows much of anything at this point on any of these Corps in relationship to others, as its WAY too early to assess any of these Corps. So whether its 1st, 6th, or lower as a placement prediction for some Corps or other in any given season, its all just fun and games, ya know ? I'm usually way off with some of my preseason placement predictions. But its just fun to then later see where we might've missed the boat on a Corps or two, either up or down.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

? I'm usually way off with some of my preseason placement predictions. But its just fun to see where we might've missed the boat on a Corps or two, either up or down.

In the winter we dream

In the spring we hope

In July we adjust to reality as it sets in...

In September we recover

Rinse & Repeat

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, karuna said:

You contradict yourself.  You talk about "since 2006" and then limit your "consistency window" to the past two seasons. 

It's ok to fanboy for Vanguard -- just don't pretend that it's some sort of objective analysis.  

Objectively Coats, Crown, and Cadets have placed higher than Vanguard since 2009.  

Average Placement 2009-2018

xJYGxwu.png

Ah, it was a total objective analysis and I did not contradict myself. Nothing in my post was inaccurate. SCV is the only corps, other than the Blue Devils, to place in the top 2 two years in a row since the Cavaliers did it in 2006. Santa Clara is also the only corps, other than the Blue Devils, who have won the majority of captions at finals since probably 2005. 

I’m well aware that from an average placement standpoint from 2008 - 2018 Bluecoats and Crown have a higher average placement than Vanguard.

I’m a huge fan of Vanguard, I won’t deny that, but I also know what I’m talking about. Do me a favor - save this post then come talk to me after finals in 2019 when BD and SCV are 1-2 again!