2019 Predictions!

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

I will never count out BD again. I was celebrating Crown's championship in 2015 on Thursday and Friday night. We all know what happened.

I do think BD will medal, and I think they will beat Crown, Cavaliers, Boston and Bluecoats in most captions at finals, losing only to SCV (and perhaps BAC in guard, too). BD is less than 0.5 from the defending champions, and the corps that could very well repeat as 2019 Champion. If SCV gets out of first tour without losing to BD, I think they will run the table.

not a popular opinion but I felt Crown was so overrated in 2015 - the drill could have fit on a basketball court and other than the guard I personally thought visually it was a snooze fest

however - I know most others felt differently and they were very popular in the stands - I just hated the reliance on the banners etc for cheap GE

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

totally agree with you from an historical perspective - however I"m not seeing (yet) the caption strength from BD at all

Cavaliers topping them in brass is a red flag perhaps 

Perhaps the Cavies topping them in brass is a red flag. That could also be an indicator that Cavies just have a great hornline (perhaps also better than Bloo and Boston, and perhaps Crown (I would be more inclined to doubt that tho). 

At the end of the day, it just looks to me that SCV hasn't only picked up where they left off last year, but they are even stronger. I think their guard book is better than it was at this stage last year, and I love that there is a lot more synchronized flag work with a larger flag ensemble this year. I think Best Guard is also within their grasp. SCV is the only corps I think has a viable chance to win all captions at finals. If that's the case, then BD's current standing bodes very well for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Perhaps the Cavies topping them in brass is a red flag. That could also be an indicator that Cavies just have a great hornline (perhaps also better than Bloo and Boston, and perhaps Crown (I would be more inclined to doubt that tho). 

At the end of the day, it just looks to me that SCV hasn't only picked up where they left off last year, but they are even stronger. I think their guard book is better than it was at this stage last year, and I love that there is a lot more synchronized flag work with a larger flag ensemble this year. I think Best Guard is also within their grasp. SCV is the only corps I think has a viable chance to win all captions at finals. If that's the case, then BD's current standing bodes very well for them.

could be - I'm delighted Cavaliers brass has been placing better

I guess when all the corps are together we'll find out if that's their strength or a sign of an usual weakness in BD

Edited by George Dixon

Here is my analysis with relative current/projected placement and floor/ceiling for each corps

1. SCV-  1st/5th- it looks like they have a very real chance to repeat and that is very exciting news for all of DCI meaning times are changing. Their show looks like it is still a skeleton too with a lot more exciting things to come. They look and sound great and have come out swinging.

2. Bluecoats-1st/6th- they have taken a real gamble with this show but it's fresh and everyone loves it. They have come out of the gate hot but they started hot in 2017 too and got trampled so proceed with caution. This show could win, medal, or tank over the course of the season. Regardless of placement this should be an all time fan favorite.

3. Carolina Crown- 1st/6th- This is one heck of a show and it looks and sounds great. I am sure I will feel much much different when I see it live but I just don't think the GE is there to win it all. 

4. Blue Devils- 1st/5th- Because it's the Blue Devils I think they will get it together and grab at least the silver medal and not the gold...but here we are for the first time since I have been closely following DCI...where there is a real possibility they might get 3rd or miss medals all together. They haven't won a contest yet. Not used to seeing them as an underdog team.

5. Boston Crusaders- 3rd/6th. This is a great show...I get it they are trying to be David beating Goliath figuratively on the field. This is a great show but I feel like there is one equal show and 4 shows that just might be better. They might pass up a fallen Goliath or two and grab a medal but they won't be higher than 3rd. Too many strong shows and a possible percussion weakness

6. Cavaliers-2nd/6th hype train! Strong in brass and GE this is a good dark horse to medal.

7. Cadets- 7th/10th- carried by percussion and either on 7th place island by themselves or BK or Mandarins could give them a run

8. Mandarins- 7th/10th fantastic, strong show that shows they aren't going anywhere but up this year.

9. BK- 7th/14th- this is the most mysterious BK has ever been because they haven't debuted yet. Its very intriguing and while it could be a huge hit- the top 6 are so strong, it could also be a klunker.

10. Blue Stars 8th/12th- they are the most likely corps to be on a competitive island this year

11. Crossmen 9th/14th- I love this show. It looks like 11-14 are tight and anybodys game- exciting

12. Spirit 10th/14th- love this show. Want them to make finals

13. Phantom 10th/15th

14. Academy 10th/15yh

15. Colts 14th/18th

16. Madison- 14th/18th

17. Troopers 15th/19th

18. MCDC 15th/19th

19. PC 16th/21st

20. Genesis 19th/21st

21. Cascades 20th/22nd

22. Surf 20th/22nd

With the 2 best OC corps out...who knows how many and which OC corps make Semis. I would imagine they would peak at 20th place.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I will never count out BD again. I was celebrating Crown's championship in 2015 on Thursday and Friday night. We all know what happened.

Any of the top 4 could have won in 2015. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Any of the top 4 could have won in 2015. 

Yes, coming into finals. Things appeared to have settled down on Thursday night, and with Crown winning Thursday and Friday, it looked like they were going to win on finals. When is the last time the quarters and semis winner didn't win? 2008?

Am unconvinced of SCV's invincibility, based on what I've seen.  I think BD has the better show, and their nearly sweeping of GE, in the last match up, supports that case.  If execution is going to be the decider, then my money's on BD for a late season surge. 

BD brass was showing weaknesses starting last year.  The brass results may be saying more about the strength of Cavies' brass.  It's not as if BD brass was beaten by the Couchmen!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, coming into finals. Things appeared to have settled down on Thursday night, and with Crown winning Thursday and Friday, it looked like they were going to win on finals. When is the last time the quarters and semis winner didn't win? 2008?

I think so. That was also the other best competitive year somewhat recently (2015 and 2008) maybe this year will be just as good and we will have to all keep on our toes.