2019 Predictions!

43 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

I am not sure I can agree here. 

BD and SCV are still 1-2. As I see it, a corps like BD is not going anywhere. They have had 3 shows and now they had 4 days to rehearse. Look out for Friday.

Bluecoats, Crown, Boston and Cavaliers are going to be trading places all year. One night, someone will make a decision or two and the cream will rise to the top.

And yes, when we get to 7-8-9-10 and even below, there are quite a few in line here.  BK is not out until Friday, and the Mandarins and all of the West Coast have had a few days to "Come Together" , like the Beatles. 😉

Keep an eye on Spirit and Phantom. 

BD doesn't perform again till Saturday. While the rest of the corps here in Cali perform Friday night in Vista CA, BD will be putting on a System Blue camp and rehearsal. It's been this way for several years now. 

But you make alot of good points. 

9 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Most of the ceiling/floors are due to little head to head competition among east/west.  Are the Cavaliers really in 3rd or 6th now? Are the Bluecoats in 1st or 4th?

good point.  lets look at and compare apples to apples for now until San Antonio. nothing new here just stating the obvious (with some range opinions).

WEST

1. SVC   (range is 1-2 in west)

2. BD (range is 1-2 in west)

3. Cavies (range is 3 in west)  (I might feel differently after seeing more of them, and I hope I do!)

EAST

1. Bloo (range is 1-3 in east)

2. Crown (range is 1-3 in east)

3. Boston (range is 1-3 in east)

So as of now, without comparing east vs. west, you can see that the Cavies are already 3rd, so they would need to beat the rest of the east to medal.  Same for Boston, needing to beat all the west to medal if they stay in third.  Both scenarios are low percentage. Is Bloo really #1 overall ahead of all corps in the west or maybe they are #4 right now with the big 3 out west ahead of them? No one knows until SA how it will come together which keeps it exciting for several more weeks!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

good point.  lets look at and compare apples to apples for now until San Antonio. nothing new here just stating the obvious (with some range opinions).

WEST

1. SVC   (range is 1-2 in west)

2. BD (range is 1-2 in west)

3. Cavies (range is 3 in west)  (I might feel differently after seeing more of them, and I hope I do!)

EAST

1. Bloo (range is 1-3 in east)

2. Crown (range is 1-3 in east)

3. Boston (range is 1-3 in east)

So as of now, without comparing east vs. west, you can see that the Cavies are already 3rd, so they would need to beat the rest of the east to medal.  Same for Boston, needing to beat all the west to medal if they stay in third.  Both scenarios are low percentage. Is Bloo really #1 overall ahead of all corps in the west or maybe they are #4 right now with the big 3 out west ahead of them? No one knows until SA how it will come together which keeps it exciting for several more weeks!

While SA is the first time we get everyone at one site, we will get a hint on July 6th at Whitewater.

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I only watched them in passing but I just watched their run from Clovis at lunch and my general takeaway is I cant get into anything they are doing ( Drill, music, etc..,) ... Some performance issues and some design issues.

Everyone is a mess and dirty now, but the choices that they made with the music this year make them feel chaotic and unsettled throughout much of their program. A feeling that I think the designers are going for, but even when they clean up the articulations and try to get clarity and space between notes, The general feeling of the program feels unfocused.. So many notes, aggressive articulation section followed by aggressive articulation section, with few a common thread between. Something that I feel has been a common for this design team the last couple of years, (Spend one phrase on a musical thought and move on to the next thought) Outside of the Ballad it is hard to grasp onto a melodic line.. The Drill is a lot of Curva-linear shapes which were hard to read from the Clovis vantage point so it is hard to gauge whats going on.

The design in general feels a little dated, We've seen this from Cavaliers before, the straight scaffolding type prop gives them Levels but this prop has been around since the 80's so it feels unoriginal. 

So given all of this, they have more issues than the groups above to the point that they feel like a design tier below the groups above. I think once everyone comes together in San Antonio they will be 5th or 6th depending on if any of the groups around them are struggling to clean up. But going forward because of the design choices made the other groups will clear them.. 

Everyone has different taste, Some judges might enjoy the heavy articulations shows but for me especially given the recent trends of having more accessible melodic content this feels like a departure from the others around them.. 

Thanks. I've got a completely different and opposite read. This show is fresh and flows so well.  The music is beautiful. This is not a Gino hornline, where the goal is for the trumpets to be wearing, with articulations to match. This is more like a Harloff brassline. This is unlike anything the Cavaliers have done in at least 25 years if ever.... It honestly more like a Crown shoe.   This show can medal. Definitely above Boston and Maybe even Crown.  Already beating Blue Devil's in brass and music according to the judges.  We shall see.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

While SA is the first time we get everyone at one site, we will get a hint on July 6th at Whitewater.

yeah there's some cross over in Memphis on 7/13, but I didn't see the whitewater one on the 6th! good point.  I was looking only at Orlando that day. 

51 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Most of the ceiling/floors are due to little head to head competition among east/west.  Are the Cavaliers really in 3rd or 6th now? Are the Bluecoats in 1st or 4th?

Well, you can make assumptions. There was little head-to-head this time last year and I thought it was so obvious that the top 3 were going to be Vanguard, Blue Devils and Bluecoats, the next three Crown, Cavies, and BAC. Cadets alone in 7th. I knew Blue Stars could be top 8 because their design was better than those below them, even though Crossmen and Regiment were beating them at that time. I also knew Mandarins were going to be top 12 when I saw them at Stanford because the design was so good.

It's really not that hard to predict these things within reason. For Example.

• Both BD and SCV will be top 3, if not top 2. We know, with almost 100% certainty that neither BD or SCV is going to finish lower than 3rd. It's just almost impossible because they are probably the only two corps with a legit shot to sweep the captions at finals. Both obviously can't sweep the captions, but there just isn't really much likelihood that either of them are going to finish lower than 3rd in any sub-caption.
  • Crown, Cavies and Bluecoats all have a shot at 3rd, although I would predict 3. Crown, 4. Bloo, 5. Cavies. Although I could see this going any way.
  • Boston will be 6th. You all know I've said enough about them already, so I'll spare you.

These 6 are just so strong and that's a blessing and a curse. It's a curse because if you're 2 points behind SCV (the Cavies) SCV is just so #### good that it's unlikely you are ever going to catch them. It's a blessing because it's very unlikely that anyone below 6th is going to break in and knock someone down. It's also a blessing  and a curse if you're SCV and BD because although no one else might beat you, beating the other is such a tall order.

It gets harder as we go lower, because unlike the top corps, the lower tier corps are all over the place caption wise. With the lower corps, there is more movement because none of them are strong or consistent across the caption board. I would say.

• Cadets likely 7th, with Stars 8th, Mandarins and BK fighting for 9th (although with these four it could go any way).
  • 11th and 12th is likely to be a toss up between Spirit and Crossmen, although Academy could find their way in because their show is so well designed.
  • Regiment is likely out. Of the top 15 corps from last year, theirs is the weakest design by far. Probably will stay ahead of Colts, and may top Academy, but I don't see them higher than 13th.

Design just makes or breaks you today. Those that have it will do well and those that don't won't. It's been like that for years now.

Edited by queenanne_1536

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Thanks. I've got a completely different and opposite read. This show is fresh and flows so well.  The music is beautiful. This is unlike anything the Cavaliers have done in at least 25 years if ever....  This show can medal. Definitely above Boston and Maybe even Crown.  Already beating Blue Devil's in brass and music according to the judges.  We shall see.

Saying "Definitely above Boston and maybe even Crown" seems pretty confident when it's a huge unknown right now, and people said that last year. You could end up being right, but that's like cable news telling us things are facts when they are certainly opinions.  I love the cavies but I would temper the predictions a bit and using "definitely".  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Is Bloo really #1 overall ahead of all corps in the west or maybe they are #4 right now with the big 3 out west ahead of them? No one knows until SA how it will come together which keeps it exciting for several more weeks!

And if Bloo really is number 1, then how do you possibly fit four other corps (SCV, BD, Cavies and Crown) in between them and the 1.25 spread they have over Boston? You can't. 

Many people thought Bloo was No. 1 at this time in 2017 and 2018 and as soon as the big western boys came out, they were immediately dropped to 3rd.

If you haven't beaten SCV and BD head-to-head, then you're smart to assume you are behind them.

Edited by queenanne_1536

4 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Saying "Definitely above Boston and maybe even Crown" seems pretty confident when it's a huge unknown right now, and people said that last year. You could end up being right, but that's like cable news telling us things are facts when they are certainly opinions.  I love the cavies but I would temper the predictions a bit and using "definitely".  

I won't say definitely above Crown, but I will say definitely above Boston. Definitely.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Ok, the flow of the Cavaliers show is definitely above Boston's....

There, they're both in the conversation in my world.

Two of my favorite shows of the season!

• Like 1