5. Cavies

6. Boston

7. BS

8. Mandarins

9. BK

10. Cadets

11.Crossmen

12. Phantom

Saw DCI West on Flo last night.  I really liked Mandarins' show and music especially.  I think putting them 8th right now might is right on.  It's exciting to see them grow!

52 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Gosh...sounds like rinse and repeat....just in another thread...but the same narrative...maybe you should go watch the Cavies Spin Cycle show again for more inspiration....

Watch Spin Cycle again? Great idea. That show is still mind blowing 16 years later.. no other visual program has even come close since.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know this prediction is useless and most likely one or more of these are off, but my thoughts on what happens after viewing all of the premier shows (minus BK):

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
  2. Carolina Crown
  3. Bluecoats
  4. Blue Devils
  5. Cavaliers
  6. Boston Crusaders
  7. Mandarins
  8. Blue Stars
  9. Blue Knights
  10. Cadets
  11. Crossmen
  12. Phantom
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

lol @ BD honks criticizing SCV for too much park and bark.

yBleXZx.gif

People have been doing it to BD for years, might as well give other corps a taste of their own medicine

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, craiga said:

Some folks seem really anxious to put Crown in medal contention while writing off Boston.  Interesting...you do know that BAC was only .85 behind them two nights ago, right?  While winning guard and visual??  (Over Bloo as well...)  Just say in'...

I’m not a prediction person, but I do have a wish for Boston.

1.  With the improvement in mm and each section, improve your finals score from last year by 1.5.

2. A Red Man Suit is to heavy, so rent one of those light weight super hero type suits that make the user larger with muscles.  For that part of the show, use the tallest mm and forget the stilts.  Even find a non current mm who fits the imagine.  Got to be some HS/College TE football player out there.

3.  As mentioned by another DCP poster, the Goliath character has to fall over (protected by the suit), use a rumble sound, and the mm within 50 feet have to jump up as Goliath does a face plant.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Unlikely.  How is any single judge able to have assessed everything else that is out there this season, until maybe Allentown? And anyway, a 2019 corps doing a faithful revival of Anycorps '74 would be "original" compared to every other 2019 corps. These days, G bugles and color presentations would be "creative" -- when compared only to other programs on the 2019 circuit.

Excellent post. If a corps did do a show like that, the judges would be unlikely to put them first in terms of originality and creativity, even though they would be.

(Mind you, I'm not sure that orginality and creativity are inherently good qualities, but they are mentioned on the sheets.)

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not sure that originality and creativity are inherently good qualities, but they are mentioned on the sheets.

Right: Who could be against originality and creativity? It seems self-evident that they should be a supreme measure.

But these values need a context in which to be applied. Originality and creativity for their own sake and without limits leads us to the day when DCI finals is a showdown between Cirque du Soleil vs. standup comedy vs. a chef vs. a soccer squad.

"[T]he largest wilderness looks larger seen through a window," G.K. Chesterton said. His paradoxical point is that the imagination is most potent when it is working against constraints, what he called frames or edges -- "the boundary-line that brings one thing sharply against another." A child playing rocketship in a cardboard box is experiencing an imaginative episode more powerful than an actual astronaut strapped into an actual space capsule on the launching pad. Without that boundary line of the box, imagination and creativity dissipate; they don't hold lasting power in our memory.

What are the boundaries for DCI adjudication? Are creativity and originality to be rewarded for their own sake, without the window frame to make the performance, like the forsest, look larger?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, johnpendell said:

Hey, might as well keep this thread going since this is what I predict as of now. Top 4 will be (alphabetically of course): Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, Carolina Crown, and Santa Clara Vanguard. Too soon to feel out what exact order they'll be. Of course there's the Devils.. I know it's naive of me to see them getting less than 3rd, but I really think the east coast is matching a certain west coast corps, and it's the Devils turn to go down the stairs for a minute. To add to that, Cavaliers have this train that will definitely cause casualties if they gain enough speed, they could easily pass the Devils IMO. Final thought, again too early to predict, but (for maybe the first time), maybe we'll see a finals with four different caption wins? Bluecoats GE, Boston guard, Crown brass, and Vanguard percussion... Imagine the craziness that would be.

BD finishing 5th or worse this YEAR?? Few things i can guarantee.........

1. I will never be a millionaire.

2. I will always have to depend on my lame boring personality to compensate for my lack of good looks.

3. DCP'er "Standing O" will always be a troll, never bringing anything meaningful to a conversation on this site.

4. BD is not finishing out of the medal spots this year. 

See you in August to review #4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BD finishing 5th or worse this YEAR?? Few things i can guarantee.........

1. I will never be a millionaire.

2. I will always have to depend on my lame boring personality to compensate for my lack of good looks.

3. DCP'er "Standing O" will always be a troll, never bringing anything meaningful to a conversation on this site.

4. BD is not finishing out of the medal spots this year. 

See you in August to review #4.

I could see Blue Devils dropping below 3rd. Not because BD is slipping (Blue Devils are very good this year). The other top corps have up'd their game. Vanguard, Bluecoats, Crown and Boston all have a shot at top 3, not to mention Cavaliers are looking scary good this year. Having so many good corps at the top is a great thing.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

I could see Blue Devils dropping below 3rd. Not because BD is slipping (Blue Devils are very good this year). The other top corps have up'd their game. Vanguard, Bluecoats, Crown and Boston all have a shot at top 3, not to mention Cavaliers are looking scary good this year. Having so many good corps at the top is a great thing.

Indeed.