Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

7 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think they manage to understand a lot of DCI issues faster and more clearly than the folks on here.

Mike

Something about “being in the trenches” instead being removed from them eh?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think they manage to understand a lot of DCI issues faster and more clearly than the folks on here.

Mike

Not to mention their downvote/upvote system tends to help identify particularly stupid or malicious comments. Yes, it does get abused and can lead to a mob mentality sometimes, but on more serious topics such as sexual assault, I find the conversations on Reddit are significantly more productive and mature than the stuff I see on DCP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

An app to do what, exactly?  Please explain your theory of what this app would actually do.

Good morning. The "app" is nothing more than a private internet lock box where messages are stored. The app is a gatekeeper of sorts that through bots sends notifications to the proper parties that a message has been sent. What the app does next is determined in the apps software that is predetermined by the dci safety committee. The app could send it's first alert to the Corps safety officer. The app waits a predetermined amount of time for the OP to get a response (nothing more than I hear you and am working on a resolution). If the app does not get a first response in a predetermined time frame the second notification may go to the Corps director, third if nothing comes back could go to the dci safety officer all the way up the chain to the CEO if necessary. The purpose of the app is for it to be the first choice in reporting these types of issues taking the focus away from Reddit. The effectiveness is measured by a decrease or an elimination of Reddit traffic concerning dci safety.

The app separates those who actually have safety concerns and didn't know where to turn from those who may have another agenda's and is trying to hurt dci maliciously. The Corps and dci would have every right to seek out MMs that still use Reddit for these madders. dci may already have the expertise to uncover the true identity of those posting on Reddit or could hire someone. 

My fear is that Reddit is trolled by want-to-be reporters that could latch onto dci-Reddit make stuff up just to get copy on their editors desk. 

Edited by Bluzes
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Jeff this is not directed at you. You are doing your best to stay objective and is much appreciated by many. 

That's the problem in any solution. Being not in the know but knowing when all this started one may assume we are not still scratching our heads about all this? It's like popping into practice the last week of the season and the corps is still learning the off-the-line. In Drum Corps Time this is over a year old what's the hold up?

Partnering with dci is so much fun. Flo had to charge us for the season before any schedule was posted. Was told at the time that dci was too busy fixing this there was no time for scheduling. So how do the MM report this upstream? Or do we need a MMs parent to come on here and ask the question or raise the question directly to the Corps and dci? That could be arranged. 

The who man's it part is the internet robots programmed into the app. It's not maned at all, all the app does is send alerts.Through various methods such as text, emails, tweets whatever has several hierarchy 's. No response moves to a secondary all the way up to the CEO. It also has a hierarchy that is time sensitive waiting for a resolution back to the OP.. Moves up the chain for responses and replies. If the first responder does not act then they become part of the problem. A true measure that supports the verbiage from the safety section stored on-line.

i am asking because to create a problem, you need a solution. you propose a problem to be solved, but no solution. 

mycable company charges me monthly yet channels come and go all the time, plus sports blackouts can happen hours before an event. 

interent robots/algoryhtyms have been shown to fail miserably the last few years when you look at social media. just yesterday a story came out that an 11 year old hacked the election system in florida. so relying solely on robots is a recipe for disaster

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Isn't it reasonable that this posting will stop when, instead of encouraging the flame-throwers, we educated the Reddit posters of the actual FACTS of what's been done?

Are these Reddit posters who, supposedly are active MMs, identifying their corps in their posts?  

If these MMs are not being made aware of what their corps, and other corps, are doing there is no one to blame except their own corps staff and management.  Do these Reddit posters want DCI's office harassment policies imputed on their orgs?  Do they even understand what they're saying.

I don't do Reddit or any of the other social media - I always thought the most-rational posters are here.  I would encourage those who do Reddit to actually help the situation by questioning if these MMs' staffs have had these discussions with them.  After all, who is on the road with the kids, their corps' staffs and Boards or Dan A and his staff of show promoters?

Reddit will calm down when calm heads insert facts.

Nobody is resting on anything, Bluzes.  I hope I've made that clear.

here's the crux of my argument back to you several posts ago.....kids aren't seeing and hearing it.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, you can always call DCI and ask for the CEO.  But why would you want to report to the DCI hierarchy if you are already uncomfortable with going through your own corps?

Every corps is now required to have a whistleblower policy in place.  Every corps had to submit that policy in writing to DCI by June 1 as part of their annual paperwork requirements.  If there is ever a situation where internal reporting may be a problem, the whistleblower policy identifies an external resource that may be contacted as an alternative.

Additionally, for reporting sexual misconduct, there is a list of external resources on page 14 of the DCI Community Code of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines.

well, back in January, i think several women would have felt more comfortable calling Dan since they knew the results going to their own corps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

amen

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

here's the crux of my argument back to you several posts ago.....kids aren't seeing and hearing it.

And here's the crux of my answer:  The kids are looking for solutions in the wrong place and I suspect a bunch of adults (Reddit posters and otherwise) are encouraging them incorrectly.

And, if they're not willing to name their corps, how can one verify their membership and address the failings of their corps staff in not reflecting their actions to their kids or, worse, not having followed the June 1 requirements from DCI?

Yelling at DCI to do more is not effective for reasons I've already outlined.  That reality needs to be said back to the MMs posting on Reddit.

Edited by garfield

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

internet robots/algoryhtyms have been shown to fail miserably the last few years when you look at social media. just yesterday a story came out that an 11 year old hacked the election system in florida. so relying solely on robots is a recipe for disaster

I seen that about the Florida kid and the voting district of 2000 registered voters and over 6000 votes. It's the world we live in. I retired from Verizon, Time Warner & AT&T stayed just long enough to be vested. These companies and a ton of others relay on similar apps controlled by the HR departments that work just fine. Robots are not a disaster and are used effetely everyday for all kinds of things. 

In the world we live in today true communication between individuals is dead.  Eye contact, facial expressions or body language that tells 60% of the story is satisficed through these apps. Now uncomfortable verbal communication (phone calls) is being replaced by text messages as a cowardly way to break up with someone for instance.

One could play devils advocate on any solution. I am good at that but do not do it unless I have a better solution at hand. I am not feeling the love for the app solution but aren't finding any other applicable solutions or alternatives that fits into the world our wonderful MMs live. In any other scenario that requires a disgruntled MM to have facial contact with a superior to report these issues is shortsighted and implies that the entity does not really want to deal with these issues head-on.

Please bring to the table alternative solutions that will make one sleep at night, this is my best shot at providing a comfort level that has any ability to stop posting on Reddit.