Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

interent robots/algoryhtyms have been shown to fail miserably the last few years when you look at social media. just yesterday a story came out that an 11 year old hacked the election system in florida. 

Not "the" election system... rather, a mock version of the election system, missing some of the safeguards of the real thing.

27 minutes ago, garfield said:

And here's the crux of my answer:  The kids are looking for solutions in the wrong place and I suspect a bunch of adults (Reddit posters and otherwise) are encouraging them incorrectly.

And, if they're not willing to name their corps, how can one verify their membership and address the failings of their corps staff in not reflecting their actions to their kids or, worse, not having followed the June 1 requirements from DCI?

Yelling at DCI to do more is not effective for reasons I've already outlined.  That reality needs to be said back to the MMs posting on Reddit.

I'm not saying everything does, but usually when these serious topics pop up on the Drum Corps subreddit, the moderators of the subreddit verify the identities of the posters. Especially when serious accusations are being made 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

To the people saying Reddit is a superior means of discussion to DCP, I would ask why are you discussing this important topic here and not Reddit?

Because the quantity of discussion is more here. 

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

And, if they're not willing to name their corps, how can one verify their membership

How did the fifth grader fix the election? There are ways to unmask the posters on any site and deal with them individually, if one hired the right fifth grader. It's in the best interest of anyone who loves this activity for dci to have that expertise. Spoofing the internet from a single smart device is difficult for one to do when they are away from their home base as our MMs are. dci may find the poster on Reddit was no where near a show stop and expose them for what they are. They may find posters of different handles emanate from the same MAC Address (Machine). 

This is serious stuff but not difficult to control. I have all the faith in the world that dci will find a way to expose Reddit for what it is, While providing a method for the MMs to communicate these issues w/o the emotions of face to face communication that will only force them onto Reddit. Let me loose on dci Reddit and I would expose them for what they are or be able to decipher fact from fiction, if you can't beat them join them. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well if you don’t feel comfortable dealing with your corps and DCI both then you are just ######. The idea is to have trust in DCI even if you don’t have it with the people you personally deal with in your corps. Edit thinking about it not having to contact DCI might be a good think.

And whistleblowing is not the same as reporting sexual harassment or abuse. Actually it puts down the seriousness or sexual harassment/abuse by lumping it with other problems. And members need to be told exactly what they can do to protect themselves without having to assume what is meant. 

Anyone with a link to those latest procedures? Edit found the link BigW gave. Go to an outside agency which hopefully they are letting DCI be aware of any problems.

ps if your contact DCI CEO was meant to be sarcasm you should be ashamed of yourself 

In order:

I think it is "whistleblowing" if the corps does not have a satisfactory avenue to report harassment.  But I am no expert on the topic.

The latest ethics guidelines are among several DCI manuals available online at https://www.dci.org/static/about-drum-corps-international.

Regarding DCI CEO - Dan Acheson is the DCI Executive Director and CEO.  If someone needs to contact DCI with an issue of the nature we are discussing here, I believe he would be the person to address it.  DCI is not big enough to have its own internal HR department or anything like that.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Nobody is resting on anything, Bluzes.  I hope I've made that clear.

Yes you did and I agreed already that steps have been taken. You don't need to make anything clear to me if I haven't shown you I too have the best interests of this activity in my heart go ahead and hate me. Please do not think belittling me will solve any of the issues at hand. Same question remains how do the MMs communicate their concerns upstream. Spend some time thinking about that and less time thinking about me or feeling sorry for yourself over what I point out.  

34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

In order:

I think it is "whistleblowing" if the corps does not have a satisfactory avenue to report harassment.  But I am no expert on the topic.

Different set of skills needed for whistleblowing (usually fraud or security isuues at my job) and dealing with sexual abuse/harassment. At least I’ve never seen call the whistle blower hotline to report SA/SH.

Now if someone wants to report corps is not following SA/SH policy then that would be whistleblowing.

I checked DCI policy and guessing links to outside agencies is because DCI does not have the resources so good call to go outside

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, CD23 said:

Cadets DM getting the leadership award (we all knew why, but it wasn't explicitly said)

Knowing the people that are on this committee and the person in charge of it personally. I can tell you that your inference had nothing to do with their decision.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

A designated person in each organization who presents such an unbiased and non-agenda'd position in the corps that every member of the org can consider him/her (preferably her, IMO) their trusted confidant and best friend. One who can immediately provide protection and take appropriate action on the spot and in the chain of command.

I see what the intent is there... but since the individual is someone within the corps structure... I get this "who will watch the Watchmen" feeling, and it bothers me.

I remember watching a "Clash of the Corps" excerpt and one of the individuals interviewed intimated they were effectively that person for the color guard, but there was a personal entanglement there that would have made that pretty difficult. I also wonder who that group at that time would have designated as that person seeing as they organization was swarming with enough yes-folks that one of them would have been picked by the then-director for sure.

do assume that this individual will act, even if it blows up the corps because they have a deep seated sense of integrity and ethics if anything happens. They're legally bound to in most states by now.... but to some people who engage in cover-ups, that means nothing.