Carolina Crown 2019

3 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

I soooo hope you’re correct with that comparison.

Personally, my buy-in to Crown’s ‘19 production is complete. As has been stated more eloquently elsewhere, continued cleaning & layering  will provide opportunities for improvement.

What concerns me most, however, are—accurately described previously by BWise—the “Broadway on Grass” shows fielded by other top corps. To that end, numbers crunchers seem to be favoring those designs, at least up to this point. 

But I’m with you In-Cog, and we’ll refrain from going all General Quarters on this season until SA.

In any event, best thing they’ve fielded since ‘16👑

I hope I am too. I'm just trying to convince myself that this isn't the time to worry, and history is on my side with this one. Lol.

My thing with the visual aspect is this:

Jeff has been known to have to re-write entire movements of shows. Cadets 2000 for example. If need be, I'm sure he could do the same thing, or at least re-write the guard drill to make them more effect. Perhaps that's already in the works, who knows at this point. 

The "Broadway on Grass" shows are being rewarded, and Crown just isn't that type of corps. Thing is, if they want to stay relevant they're going to have to figure out how to become one of those corps. Story telling seems to be all the rave again. We went through this exact same thing in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and now 10s. Seems to happen at the end of every decade too. Soon we will go back to concept shows as the majority, and then Crown will try to do the story route again. I see what they're trying to do, stand out doing something else while everyone is doing the same thing, but I don't think it's working anymore. 

This for sure is the best show that we have seen from Crown since 2016, without a doubt. I caught the show last night and I didn't think it was a second place show. Maybe the performance was lacking, I can't tell from a video, but I did hear from someone who was there and they said there was a collective "WHAT?!" when Crown was announced in second. A home show, but everyone I know who follows drum corps was saying the same thing. The only thing that I can think of that hurt them is the lack of shows, and the lack of shows with other top 6 candidates. Everyone else is stepping it up as well. One show doesn't show a need to sound the alarms, but it could be a cause for a rise in concern. I'm gonna wait until after tonight to figure out what needs to happen.

• Thanks 1

BAC earned that score last night. They’re #### good! I do think that Crown’s brass is about three tenths better, and percussion is a half point better or more. The guard score last night was accurate. In terms of visual execution, BAC kicked Crown’s collective rear ends last night. Why? IMHO:

1. The Uniforms help sell the visual for BAC

2. BACs body movement seemed more crisp

3. On an individual technique level, BAC was just a touch better. 

My only complaint about BAC last night was the over use of the sideline electronics, and the fact that the speakers were over blasting and made it hard to hear the corps at certain times. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

BAC earned that score last night. They’re #### good! I do think that Crown’s brass is about three tenths better, and percussion is a half point better or more. The guard score last night was accurate. In terms of visual execution, BAC kicked Crown’s collective rear ends last night. Why? IMHO:

1. The Uniforms help sell the visual for BAC

2. BACs body movement seemed more crisp

3. On an individual technique level, BAC was just a touch better. 

No one is saying that they didn't earn it. I'm not sure what everyone is seeing in it, because it just doesn't do it for me like most of the top 12, but nobody is saying they didn't earn it. It's a slim margin and can be more than made up for.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

No one is saying that they didn't earn it. I'm not sure what everyone is seeing in it, because it just doesn't do it for me like most of the top 12, but nobody is saying they didn't earn it. It's a slim margin and can be more than made up for.

Razor thin. It’s going to be interesting to see this battle develop. 

• Like 2

Back to the schedule issue.. I TOTALLY agree Crown is not competing enough and specifically not with the top 6 .. they are off 5 more days next week too. To a certain extent it’s not about beating others but the H2Hs really do psychologically increase performance. Just that final crispness mentioned above. IMO. Some disagree on this point but ... I mean crap. Three shows in two weeks? 

Very interesting comments on re-writing. I was curious how much this happens. 

BAC is pumped so .. watch out. !!! And I’m all Crown all the time!  

👑  ! GO CROWN !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWise said:

Back to the schedule issue.. I TOTALLY agree Crown is not competing enough and specifically not with the top 6 .. they are off 5 more days next week too. To a certain extent it’s not about beating others but the H2Hs really do psychologically increase performance. Just that final crispness mentioned above. IMO. Some disagree on this point but ... I mean crap. Three shows in two weeks? 

👑  ! GO CROWN !

I'm sure they're pumped, but I'm also sure they were pumped last year and look what happened. If Boston wants to beat Crown, I personally believe that they don't need to do it early in the season, but rather later. History always repeats itself. 

I'm sure re-writes are on the way, I have no doubt there.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how this turns out this evening. Crown Brass and Percussion are performing at a higher level than everyone they have seen to date. Visual has cleaned up a lot with more to go. The demand of this visual book is higher than anyone they have seen to date and the play and move better than anyone. We will have to as the show evolves if GE grows. Judges will have to decide if moving and playing has any value anymore. If not, we will see everyone on big stages props and no one moving and playing in the future if there is no longer a reward for it. I know this has been creeping into the activity over the past few years but this year seems to be a tipping point. I do think BAC is in a similar boat as they also have more moving and playing than most.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

It will be interesting to see how this turns out this evening. Crown Brass and Percussion are performing at a higher level than everyone they have seen to date. Visual has cleaned up a lot with more to go. The demand of this visual book is higher than anyone they have seen to date and the play and move better than anyone. We will have to as the show evolves if GE grows. Judges will have to decide if moving and playing has any value anymore. If not, we will see everyone on big stages props and no one moving and playing in the future if there is no longer a reward for it. I know this has been creeping into the activity over the past few years but this year seems to be a tipping point. I do think BAC is in a similar boat as they also have more moving and playing than most.

This. Raised to the 10th.

3 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

This. Raised to the 10th.

PREACH!!!

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

Odd that it isn't doing it for you since it's basically a crown show.

15 minutes ago, BWise said:

👑  ! GO CROWN !

BD competes in the least number of shows in the top 12 year after year and yet they seem to do just fine 

• Like 1