George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

9 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Any idea as to the reason?

could be the courts, could be either side, could be a variety of reasons

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, garfield said:

Most likely the defense asking for a continuation to rack up attorney fees for another couple of weeks before it's settled out of court.

It’s a criminal case.  He could plea bargain but there’s no settlement out of court.  That could happen in the lawsuit however.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Any idea as to the reason?

Tricia N. notes in a response: "I was told the judge is not going to be in that day."

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

Um, this is tomorrow...

PA judges lol. Seriously could be anything from family matter to currently on something that is going longer than expected. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

PA judges lol. Seriously could be anything from family matter to currently on something that is going longer than expected. 

yup. life happens

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

could be the courts, could be either side, could be a variety of reasons

An individual I know was charged with a similar-level offence.  There were many delays - the judge, prosecutor, & defense counsel were all trying to balance things on each of their complicated schedules. 

I suspect this is what is happening here - although it is the case that we as a Drum Corps community are interested in (as is likely GH himself), it is but one item on the plates of three different entities that have to align.  There are no doubt other cases (just as important to those involved) that have been waiting longer that will also take priority.  

Regarding the individual I know, it took over two years to resolve, with him eventually taking a plea deal.

This is gonna take some time.  I predict we will know the 2019 (& quite possibility the 2020) DCI champions before the GH criminal case is resolved.  And only then will the civil cases proceed (unless the plaintiffs choose to drop them).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

An individual I know was charged with a similar-level offence.  There were many delays - the judge, prosecutor, & defense counsel were all trying to balance things on each of their complicated schedules. 

I suspect this is what is happening here - although it is the case that we as a Drum Corps community are interested in (as is likely GH himself), it is but one item on the plates of three different entities that have to align.  There are no doubt other cases (just as important to those involved) that have been waiting longer that will also take priority.  

Regarding the individual I know, it took over two years to resolve, with him eventually taking a plea deal.

This is gonna take some time.  I predict we will know the 2019 (& quite possibility the 2020) DCI champions before the GH criminal case is resolved.  And only then will the civil cases proceed (unless the plaintiffs choose to drop them).

Yep knew someone who got caught up in a sting operation. All accused had to be in court together even if just one person was making an appeal. Constant reschedule and delay, only thing always running was lawyers meter *ka ching*. Finally the state made a plea deal with the small fry before they went broke. Things went quicker with less accused and two big guns got jail time iirc.

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep knew someone who got caught up in a sting operation. All accused had to be in court together even if just one person was making an appeal. Constant reschedule and delay, only thing always running was lawyers meter *ka ching*. Finally the state made a plea deal with the small fry before they went broke. Things went quicker with less accused and two big guns got jail time iirc.

Although one can argue how much they should get paid, I don't have problems with the basic concept.  Lawyers have bills to pay too, as well as needing to put groceries on the table. And if the accused is destitute, the State will pick up the tab.

If an accused individual doesn't want to pay counsel (vs is unable to pay), then they do have the right to represent themselves (although it usually doesn't end well).