George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Absolutely we beat each other over the head about every little word we write making sure there are no secret agendas in our posts. However, in the end, we all want the same thing. Dci is the elephant in the room, shrouded in secrecy. What conclusion is left to make? He's one that whatever is lurking in the past is so bad that the only way to fix it is to follow The Cadets lead and clean house. Thank You for posting that positive article on The Cadets it put the whole situation into perspective.  

I’m too old to care if I’m popular with the “important” people.  I believe these young people deserve a safe place to march.  Plain and simple, no agenda.  If someone doesn’t like me for it, I couldn’t give a ####. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Call me whatever you want, but the way I personally see it......it's not my place to forgive him. I'm not one of the victims of his alleged conduct. 

If everything is true (I have my opinions but my opinion means precisely back and ####) then he destroyed PEOPLE. They are the only ones who could truly forgive anything. 

A random person, no matter how good their intentions, shouldn't expect for anyone to forgive IMHO. 

WE as the drum corps community can only expect for the corps and DCI / DCA to make the needed changes to ensure that the activity protects all those involved. Forgiveness doesn't enter into it. Just my opinion.

I saw this on Reddit.  I like “survivor”.

“First, I will say that I use the term "survivor" instead of "victim" in talking about this subject to avoid revictimization for those who've undergone a traumatic event. While each individual varies, the language of "survivor" tends to empower rather than "victim" which tends to shame. I do not correct people who use the term "victim," but I do recommend the former. Secondly, RAINN is the largest anti-sexual violence network in the nation. Linked is a handy guide with tips on how to talk personally with those affected, because odds are, you know someone who has been. Also, UMichigan goes more in depth with ways to talk to survivors.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m too old to care if I’m popular with the “important” people.  I believe these young people deserve a safe place to march.  Plain and simple, no agenda.  If someone doesn’t like me for it, I couldn’t give a ####. 

We have known each other for a long time and think alike. No one has accused either of us from holding back and we're not about to change. The change needs to come from dci popularity on DCP one way or another is not going to fix anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

“First, I will say that I use the term "survivor" instead of "victim" in talking about this subject to avoid revictimization for those who've undergone a traumatic event. While each individual varies, the language of "survivor" tends to empower rather than "victim" which tends to shame. I do not correct people who use the term "victim," but I do recommend the former. Secondly, RAINN is the largest anti-sexual violence network in the nation. Linked is a handy guide with tips on how to talk personally with those affected, because odds are, you know someone who has been. Also, UMichigan goes more in depth with ways to talk to survivors.”

That makes perfect sense actually. I think because of the business that I am in and having to deal with some of these types of things in real time (some people wouldn't believe what can happen in call centers with 5,000 people in them...yes....5,000) I tend to use the term "victim" because the thought is always on the present tense as the situation is almost always something that happened within hours to days. 

That being said, I will absolutely start using survivors instead in these cases as I believe it applies better. Thanks for keeping me honest Terri. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Talking to her would be a good start. 

Exactly.

The years I was in the news business... I never once tried to "get" (for lack of a better term) or completely dismiss anyone who would not answer our phone calls/questions/inquiries... but honestly, I never felt the need to go out of my way to help them, either. LOL.

People who are subjects of a news story might be surprised at how much a reporter is willing to work with them if those folks are willing to cooperate, even a little.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that, in these days of the 24/7 news cycle and low-rent, uncalled-for "gotcha" reporting... but in general, one really can catch more flies with a bit of honey.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I like “survivor”.

Great advise the last thing we need to do is add fuel to the fire. Another learning opportunity here on DCP, thanks, Terri. 

36 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wearing your Jeff Ream hat today?

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wearing your Jeff Ream hat today?

I didn't get the hat how many posts do you need to qualify or will I ever get one?

Edited by Bluzes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I didn't get the hat how many posts do you need to qualify or will I ever get one?

Lol Bluzes. You should know that the stock answer is going to be "One more than whatever your number currently is." 

• Haha 1