“Failure to Protect”

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You should have been in Central PA when Sandusky came to light. When the reporter starts getting threats we’ll know how low it has sunk. And the excuses are deja vu all over again as per Yogi Berra

there's already been a back channel smear campaign against Tricia to try and discredit her. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's already been a back channel smear campaign against Tricia to try and discredit her. 

Wonder if by member of corps staff or “fans” of DCI. That would tell a lot about how far a clean up effort really would go.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Just re-reading one of your posts (emphasis mine).

There's really not much of an IF about it.  But sure you can consider the IF as possible but IMO only possible through willful ignorance (which is equally or  possible even more damning).  

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

There should no illusions about her motivations in pursuing this story.  She's not any sort of altruistic advocate for the activity.  (In fact I don't think it would upset her in the least to bring the entire thing crashing down;  fireworks like that just would just be gravy from her point-of-view.)

That said her work so far has been careful and accurate.  No reason to discredit her.  Painful as it may be,  drum corps was in desperate need of some very bright sunshine in all the dark corners.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sure... but I am way, WAY more interested in stopping current transgressions, and averting future ones.

I agree with this. Ferreting out any remaining existing issues, and making the current/future  drum corps world transparent and safe needs to be the primary focus. Going back in time, even recent time, is valuable to show how these things happen, even with good people running the various corps. It may also provide an impetus on changes needed in DCI moving forward. But IMO the focus needs to be on cleaning the current environment and making sure the future is safe and secure, as much as is humanly possible. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, karuna said:

There should no illusions about her motivations in pursuing this story.  She's not any sort of altruistic advocate for the activity.  (In fact I don't think it would upset her in the least to bring the entire thing crashing down;  fireworks like that just would just be gravy from her point-of-view.)

That said her work so far has been careful and accurate.  No reason to discredit her.  Painful as it may be,  drum corps was in desperate need of some very bright sunshine in all the dark corners.  

Not sure why a reporter would or should be an advocate for anything they report about. Will let Fran explain motivation but I remember Penn State came about because the reporter had a tip about something that was unknown to the general public. She dug and presented what she found without editorializing. Chips (crap) fell on their own account 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sure... but I am way, WAY more interested in stopping current transgressions, and averting future ones.

they are tied together. Otherwise, how can you have trust going forward?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But some of the people involved as enablers in the past are still there now. Future would be safer without them