“Failure to Protect”

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

The problem is whether DCI as on organization has the power to do this without altering it's charter.  In fact it may require the dissolution of DCI and a new organization with the power to do some of the things everyone is talking about.  You know even the United States first government had to be re-done.  and yes Barack Obama was NOT the first Black President of the United States.  Change by necessity is usually a positive thing.

This "change" you speak of really pretty simple.

The DCI BoD can make this happen when they want to.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm curious:  What are the feelings here about the Boards of Directors of these named corps who directors, purportedly, were enablers to the monsters they let in.  If the BoD of non-profit is the final fiduciary guardian of the org...

Traveling today... :sigh: 

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

:blink:

You said what I couldn't.

Thanks.

Glad your travel was short.

56 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Really?  This is your takeaway, that all the perpetrators are gone, everything's in the past, and we're good to go?  Really?  

He was referring to the article.  I don't recall him putting forth his own takeaway on your point.

59 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Really?  This is your takeaway, that all the perpetrators are gone, everything's in the past, and we're good to go?  Really?  

That is not my belief.  But that article spends nearly all its time describing people who are no longer in the drum corps activity.  And for that matter, her lead story (and many of the others) centered on abuses that occurred in the marching band activity.  And further, the main reason these stories exist is not because of some drum corps specific problem, but a nationwide/society-wide phenomenon regarding how the accused/convicted have records expunged, suppressed or plea bargained away.

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is not my belief.  But that article spends nearly all its time describing people who are no longer in the drum corps activity.  And for that matter, her lead story (and many of the others) centered on abuses that occurred in the marching band activity.  And further, the main reason these stories exist is not because of some drum corps specific problem, but a nationwide/society-wide phenomenon regarding how the accused/convicted have records expunged, suppressed or plea bargained away.

And we also have Corps leaders who DID know but: he was a friend, he served his punishment, deserved another chance and he is a good family man. All excuses I’ve seen following this over the last few years 

And one was removed not because it was right but because “it was what society wanted us to do “. Have leaders who are clueless and need someone to make sure these idiots don’t do it again

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

And what is the overarching message of this article?  Seriously?

The piece headlines with "Elite youth drum corps have become a haven for instructors with sexual misconduct in their past"... but fails to present even ONE such example who is currently in the drum corps activity.  Nothing but people from the past, now gone from drum corps.  So is it a haven?  Or it used to be a haven, but not anymore?

To me, it feels like a lot of investigative effort that failed to uncover any present-day findings like the Hopkins story did.  Rather than let all that effort go unpublished, she put out an article anyway... one that makes me think of the word "overreaching" rather than "overarching".

Details do matter.  That is one of the many lessons drum corps teaches.

Since this particular reporter is working on series of articles, this one is just another one in the series... which has been about sexual predators in drum corps.

There is no rule anywhere that requires her to provide new information, or to clarify anything about the current state of drum corps... but in fact, she does, when she reports on the changes DCI has made in reaction to this entire mess, changes aimed at ending the "haven." I think that provides some perspective here.

You can read into this line... "Elite youth drum corps have become a haven for instructors with sexual misconduct in their past".... any way you choose.  But to me, it's a factual statement, based on the evidence presented so far about various people... GH, this OC guy, Larson, etc. 

For those of you cautioning us to not place blame where it doesn't belong... in this case, on the DCI front office which was just following the BOD's rules... perhaps you can also refrain from placing blame or throwing shade on this reporter, who certainly did not cause any of the problems she is now writing about.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I didn't think it was possible to excuse the inexcusable concerning this topic.  After reading the  posts, I guess I was wrong.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And we also have Corps leaders who DID know but: he was a friend, he served his punishment, deserved another chance and he is a good family man. All excuses I’ve seen following this over the last few years 

Yes.  And like I said yesterday, I favor improved processes that have zero tolerance, zero excuses.