“Failure to Protect”

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure why a reporter would or should be an advocate for anything they report about. Will let Fran explain motivation but remember Penn State came about because the reporter had a tip about something that was unknown to the general public. She dug and presented what she found without editorializing. Chips (crap) feel on their own account 

I'm just pointing out that while WE may see her actions so far in a positive light,  she has no such shared feelings.   Don't assume she's some sort of white knight coming to the rescue of drum corps.  She's hot on the trail of a good story -- and that's all.  Need to always exercise care in dealing with the media especially when it comes to motives.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, karuna said:

I'm just pointing out that while WE may see her actions so far in a positive light,  she has no such shared feelings.   Don't assume she's some sort of white knight coming to the rescue of drum corps.  She's hot on the trail of a good story -- and that's all.  Need to always exercise care in dealing with the media especially when it comes to motives.

Ok you were just telling people not to misread her intentions in doing the articles, I misunderstood. 

My local paper was the one who broke Sandusky and reporter and paper were really put under the microscope and flame grilled. They had to print the reasons for doing the stories so got a chance to get some inside reasoning about motive. 

PS - the number of cases and how wide spread it all was came as a shock to everyone. It all started as a few kids from a agency not connected to Penn State. Then the mushroom cloud slowly appeared. I keep that in mind reading this thread 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Which is why I keep saying that the ethics guidelines should spell out in writing who not to hire.  Improve the process.

DCI cannot tell corps who or who not to hire.  They can discipline compliance violations within accepted penalties, approved by the BOD.  And we are learning as more visibility to the issues are coming to light, that much strengthening of P&P for each corps is critically needed.  Having improved P&P in place before the season begins would be the smart sensible move.

Currently there is the mission statement that guides DCI as an organization and its operation; as it functions FOR member corps. Corps started DCI to create a "circuit" if you will, in answer to their issues with VFW and American Legion.  It gave corps the autonomy to function as "private" entities.  Which as it turned out to be a huge benefit when seeking sponsors or moving away from sponsors to be their own independent organization.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I thought I knew everything about the Morgan Larson saga.  I was wrong.  When I read about him molesting the developmentally disabled woman, my jaw dropped.  

I had a hard time sleeping last night with that revelation.  There’s a special place in hell for that.  

Is that what the article stated? Maybe you should re-read where it says he was "dating" ... yet again words twisted around so that people get their jollys off about what they "think" they know about Morgan....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SoundOfMusic99 said:

Is that what the article stated? Maybe you should re-read where it says he was "dating" ... yet again words twisted around so that people get their jollys off about what they "think" they know about Morgan....

Nice first post on dcp...

BTW article also states he violated his parole by being with said  35 year old with the mentality of a 15 year old

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, SoundOfMusic99 said:

Did you start an account just to say that?   There’s plenty to know about this creeper already. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Nice first post on dcp...

BTW article also states he violated his parole by being with said  35 year old with the mentality of a 15 year old

Just another enabler.  Probably proudly marched next to the sex offender in Kilties.

Edited by Terri Schehr

4 hours ago, Plankton said:

Correct. Open Class should be restructured to include members up to age 17, and heavily chaperoned. World Class is then designated as ADULTS only, ages 18-22.

It solves some of the problems, not necessarily all of them. Some of these abusers will still abuse/harass. It just makes the crime one of a different nature.