“Failure to Protect”

24 minutes ago, Plankton said:

Correct. Open Class should be restructured to include members up to age 17, and heavily chaperoned. World Class is then designated as ADULTS only, ages 18-22.

I agree with your idea... but know a bunch of people who were not adults at ages 18-22. Myself included.  :laughing: 

Heck... some of those folks are now at or near my age (60) and are still not adults. LOL

"More mature young people" perhaps?  :innocent:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with your idea... but know a bunch of people who were not adults at ages 18-22. Myself included.  :laughing: 

Heck... some of those folks are now at or near my age (60) and are still not adults. LOL

"More mature young people" perhaps?  :innocent:

Legal definition of adults is what I am speaking of. Just looking to solve problems.

It was mentioned on Facebook that once housing sites and show sponsors start pulling away from the activity, en masse; things are going to be in severe state. The drum corps activity could very much be headed towards a severe state...and it's pretty much there, already. Why would sponsors and alumni want to donate to a sinking ship? 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, karuna said:

Ludicrous indeed.  You keep repeating your nonsense about not understanding corporate structure.  You're just painting yourself as DCI whitewasher.

As leader and chief executive of the organization,  Acheson gets to take all the credit and all the blame.  If he knew and did nothing,  he's culpable morally and ethically.   Hiding behind corporate structure may or may not cover his ### legally.  It does nothing to shield him from his duty to the marching members.  

It really doesn't matter if he was hamstrung by the board (a supposition for which there is currently no evidence).  What matters is knowing about sexual abuse and doing nothing.  Your defense of his inaction amounts to:

"Sorry guys.  I know you're being raped and sexually abused.  But my job responsibilities don' t include taking action to prevent it.  Sorry. But hey --  now that the scandalous behavior is out in the open,  we're making all kinds of positive changes.  So let's forget I was in charge before hand and just move on from that.  Yeah that's the ticket.  Let's keep looking forward".

Tricia nailed it with the title of this article:  failure to protect indeed.

Just re-reading one of your posts (emphasis mine).

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And what is the overarching message of this article?  Seriously?

The piece headlines with "Elite youth drum corps have become a haven for instructors with sexual misconduct in their past"... but fails to present even ONE such example who is currently in the drum corps activity.  Nothing but people from the past, now gone from drum corps.  So is it a haven?  Or it used to be a haven, but not anymore?

To me, it feels like a lot of investigative effort that failed to uncover any present-day findings like the Hopkins story did.  Rather than let all that effort go unpublished, she put out an article anyway... one that makes me think of the word "overreaching" rather than "overarching".

Details do matter.  That is one of the many lessons drum corps teaches.

Really?  This is your takeaway, that all the perpetrators are gone, everything's in the past, and we're good to go?  Really?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Plankton said:

Legal definition of adults is what I am speaking of. Just looking to solve problems.

No problem... I agree with what you've proposed here. A good start!!!