“Failure to Protect”

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, we agree that it has been a haven (past tense).  Saying that drum corps "have become a haven", however, suggests both past and present tense.  (And that could still be true, too, regardless of whether this article provides smoking-gun proof of it or not.)

You're right about the tense... it's a hair-splitting thing to me.  I certainly hope it turns out this whole mess is in our rearview mirror. I'm skeptical that it is. Like you say... we'll find out. 

And yes, the headline "Failure to Protect" would have worked for me without that sentence added on.

When I worked on the Money desk at USATODAY.com, in the days when Internet news sites were popping up at a record pace... some sticking around for more than a few weeks... LOL... we wrote a lot of headlines, and were careful to try to make them catchy, without editorializing. That sometimes is a very fine line.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Trust?  I prefer to replace "trust" with "vigilance" in this instance.

you still have to have accountability for past willful ignorance. You have corps who still have board members who allowed these hires to be made and oh my, only now it's an issue. yeah i get it board members don't grow on trees, but these people enabled the problem festering for years......and still have power. Would you trust them to all of a sudden see the light?

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

DCI cannot tell corps who or who not to hire.  They can discipline compliance violations within accepted penalties, approved by the BOD.  And we are learning as more visibility to the issues are coming to light, that much strengthening of P&P for each corps is critically needed.  Having improved P&P in place before the season begins would be the smart sensible move.

Currently there is the mission statement that guides DCI as an organization and its operation; as it functions FOR member corps. Corps started DCI to create a "circuit" if you will, in answer to their issues with VFW and American Legion.  It gave corps the autonomy to function as "private" entities.  Which as it turned out to be a huge benefit when seeking sponsors or moving away from sponsors to be their own independent organization.

DCI basically told the Cadets in April the director and Board needed to be gone. With more coming out, and knowing several people are still in place, they've done nothing of the likes with Crossmen, genesis and others.  Just Cadets and Pioneer.

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Corps have to agree to it...

Right now they do.

To me,this further emphasizes the need for Drum Corps to have a true,independent governing body,with the authority to enact and enforce policies.

That independent governing body would of course need to be created with sufficient  "checks and balances"  to prevent them  from going rogue.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Nice first post on dcp...

BTW article also states he violated his parole by being with said  35 year old with the mentality of a 15 year old

#### facts

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, we agree that it has been a haven (past tense).  Saying that drum corps "have become a haven", however, suggests both past and present tense.  (And that could still be true, too, regardless of whether this article provides smoking-gun proof of it or not.)

as we saw there were still issues in the season that ended 4 months ago. Do you think it's pristine now, or that there are surprises yet to come?

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI basically told the Cadets in April the director and Board needed to be gone. With more coming out, and knowing several people are still in place, they've done nothing of the likes with Crossmen, genesis and others.  Just Cadets and Pioneer.

They've also done nothing about the Morgan Larson situation and the Cavaliers soundsport group. I wrote to DCI twice on it, and they said that the Cavaliers handled it, which is still not ok. They should face sanctions as well for having a convicted felon part of their organization this past summer.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well shooting .500 with your last sentence 

54 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

To clarify, are you saying that DCI cannot put a sentence in their ethics guidelines to the effect "corps shall not hire people with felony convictions of a sexual nature on their record"?

Not without all corps first agreeing it belongs in guidelines as you suggest,  and voting it in to enable DCI as their facilitating org to enforce it.  DCI can enforce what the corpsxallow and enable them to.  This means corps will be giving up some amount of their autonomy in their  operations.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And this is, IMHO, the key to all of this. There are many who will continuously state that DA is responsible due to a moral / ethical obligation. And though in my heart of hearts I agree with that statement, I can also understand the probability that legally he and DCI as a body could be clear. Howling at the moon will not fix the issue. DCI needs to get off of their collective a**** and make a firm stand and we as fans, former and current MM's and parents need to push them in any way legal to do so. The people who enabled those who abuse (past, present or future,) should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law just after a mob of us beats them to within an inch of their lives (we can use Ludwig drums. They're heavy and sound too s***** to use for anything else anyways.) The corps who have allowed this to happen and, in some cases, circled the wagons to protect themselves should also be punished. Their main job was to protect these kids. THEY were the first layer of defense...not DCI as a body. If something didn't come back on a background check and they heard rumors, then do another #### check. It's not that hard. I don't want to see DCI burned to the ground. And those who do seem to be throwing the baby out with the bath water from what I have read. Maybe that's not the intention but it's the perception. 

This 100%