“Failure to Protect”

19 hours ago, MikeD said:

I agree, there have been instances where school staffs, not remotely limited to music, were permitted to resign and move on. Here in NJ it was actually very common when parents refused to cooperate and press charges. Admins forced the staff to resign as there was nothing else they were able to do legally. 

Those staff members were considered to have resigned in good standing. If a subsequent district contacted them, all they were able to say was that person Z was employed from A to B and resigned. They were not permitted to allude to any actions that were not part of the official record, otherwise the original district was opened to be sued by the employee. That was referred to here in NJ as "passing the trash".

Happy to say, in NJ they just put a law in place this year called "Don't Pass the Trash" where anyone filling out a job application at a school district must sign an agreement that the new district can contact the old district(s), going back 20 years, and those older districts MUST be open about why the person resigned. I just filled out two of them this fall, as I am substitute teaching in two districts.

Big business has gone further than that. At certain levels of employment they are asking for passwords to your social media accounts. No legal obligation to do so but a no puts you down the list of potential hires. Right or wrong, we gave away our privacy a long time ago so we can share funny cat videos on line. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

Just now, Bluzes said:

Big business has gone further than that. At certain levels of employment they are asking for passwords to your social media accounts. No legal obligation to do so but a no puts you down the list of potential hires. Right or wrong, we gave away our privacy a long time age so we can share funny cat videos on line. 

Employees of companies in "big business" (or even small business) are often considered "at will" employees. They can be let go for just about any reason. Education employees like teachers are normally covered by collective bargaining contracts and state tenure laws that offer far more protection than to employees in the private sector.

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

I can't believe you two are arguing of this. Should this guy even have been allowed to be in contact with and a member of The Kilties? That is the question that needs to be asked.

Should DCI and DCA work in concert to help protect members by sharing information regarding known threats or known criminals should the be identified by either organization or their member corps?

You arguing about yearbooks and printed materials is useless and dumb. I'm sure most everyone here agrees.

Offering proof when being told I’m wrong is what I do.

ive said enough on Larson. There’s no defending the inaction 

• Like 1

Where is the voice of reason (Drum Man TX) when we need his simplicity and generally kind and thoughtful approach (from a youngster) !  IMHO DCI's forthcoming meeting next month will be hopefully a barn burner, might even have an announcement of a retirement in the headlights.  350 + registrants and a pretty impressive agenda covering all the critical topics being discussed presently.  Are any of the OP's participating in this forth coming meeting as subject matter experts/presenters?  Are position papers or petitions being developed for presentation?   Who knows!  What I am hearing/reading amounts to SSDD.  You can't have the past back it's a done deal!!!  You can only move forward to insure that what has become near and dear to each one of you will get a fair chance at overcoming the current adverse climate. Like a kid once asked me "Sir will you play tennis with me"?  I said "no not now"!  He said "think about it".  I watched him alone dejectedly hitting the ball against the back stop.  Yep I went back and he cleaned my clock, well close enough!  One of the best things I had done in a long while.  Think about it!   

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ok, so you're saying that, because Kilties performed in a DCI show, Dan A was expected to ask the Kilties if they still have Larson on their performance roles and, if hearing "yes" he should have prevented the Kilties from performing in that show, right?

I 100% agree with that and find it reprehensible that Kilites were allowed to perform in a DCI show with Larson in their roles.

Now, Spatzzz has evidence that all I want is evidence and not hearsay.

I’ve yet to lie on big matters yet and those that emailed him have stated it publicly here before. You’ll believe what you want

46 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, can’t you produce the email (as well as proof Dan read it) and post it here, Jeff?  Otherwise it didn’t happen. 

/s

I’ve asked for it

26 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Because we are talking about drum corps here, and discussing the news articles. Dragging in irrelevant activities just muddies the waters

Schools in general, at least here in NJ, are doing a far better job than they used to on this topic. Will it ever be perfect? No...bad people will be bad people and find a way to engage in terrible behavior no matter what rule and policies are in place. How they are ferreted out and eliminated is the key.

Here in NJ, school staffs go through much training on this topic...teachers, admins, aides, bus drivers, volunteers, etc. I just sat through a session today as part of my substitute application process.   

How is limiting the discussion helping drum corps? The Failure To Protect hit piece the subject at hand in this thread clearly paints the picture of the student being groomed in the schools and it  flowed into dci. I am not blaming you I am sure you are a fine teacher in NJ. I went to school in NJ had wonderful teachers I am referring to the less than 1% that are causing all this heartache. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The only thing I am defending right now is the concept of getting your facts straight.  (And that needs a lot of defending today.)

I have no idea why you are digging your heels in so deep on the fallacy that Kilties had some kind of "membership" in DCI.  Why does that matter?  Are you only interested in keeping predators out of member corps?  I think all DCI participating groups should be predator-free.

Anyway, there is no membership in DCI for all-age groups.  That has never been an option for the senior Kilties.  That was the famous sticking point that kept the DCM/DCI merger from happening circa 2003, ultimately driving the Midwestern all-age corps to join DCA.  All the DCI bylaws, policies and procedures are posted on DCI.org, so you can see for yourself.  Policy for participation of all-age corps in DCI events is defined in the Policies and Procedures Manual, Appendix 116 (the 37th page of the online version). 

Now can we lay that argument to rest, and get back to the larger issue - keeping predators out of drum corps?

Speaking of which, if you want to keep Morgan Larson out of DCI, you need either a DCI policy or a state/federal law that prevents predators of his ilk from getting in.  It pains me to say this (and I am only the messenger here - try not to shoot the messenger again), but it is not categorically illegal, and DCI did not have a policy to prevent it.  Even now, written policy is too vague to spell out an absolute, lifetime ban for someone who did what Morgan Larson did.  That needs to change, by next month.

When it comes to convicted felony-level sexual predators, to "deny or limit" participation is not good enough.  They should be banned for life.  Not running a corps; not on staff; not judging; not marching; not sneaking in the side door with an exhibition ensemble; not being granted backstage access of any kind; even wearing one of those VIP fan passes.

It’s all cool. They knew a registered sex offender performed st their shows and they were ok with it. Props for their open mindedness (insert eyeroll)

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Can we agree he was in the Kilties?   At least in 2011 and 2012.  It was in the article and the director admitted it to Tricia. 

Absolutely.  (There is video evidence on YouTube, in case anyone requires further corroboration.)

Regarding 2013, though, I have a question.  Hoping to find smoking-gun proof Larson marched in a DCI event, I found two different 2013 Kilties performances chronicled on YouTube.  One is from a DCI event in Whitewater on July 5; the other is a Racine performance at halftime of a local football game.  In that halftime show, around 1:50-2:10, there are two soprano soloists featured (I do not know who either one is).  At Whitewater, neither of those soloists are there.  Is it possible that he did not march in any DCI-sanctioned event in 2013, specifically?