“Failure to Protect”

I apologize for saying 13, as I was told by Terri and others he was there. But he was in 11 and 12, it was no secret he was there or what his track record was. 

And i I do believe some heads need to roll to give credibility and accountability for years of willful ignorance 

51 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know why I think I can remember drum corps years when I have post it notes on my kitchen counter reminding what I have to do every day. 

I'm at the point where I write reminders, then forget where I put the reminders. :laughing:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, he’s the trumpet of the Lord.  Get it right or he’ll sue you or something. Lol

But... he's the world's loudest trumpet player and hits the highest notes ever!!!  :innocent:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

This is a video of JOBE playing at semi finals in 2015.  Larson plays in a trio and a solo/duet. 

OK he was in Indy at semis 15  ... DCI can hardly be expected to be responsible for that!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

They enabled / allowed / looked the other way / failed to detect the abuse in the first place. Students were affected some will have this with them for the rest of their lives, that matters in any discussion it can't be diminished or bullied away from this thread. Coming up with excuses why the schools let these individuals thrive then slip through the cracks. How new rules / laws were needed that may or may not put an end to this. Then holding dci's feet to the fire in isolation to the world we live in is unfair and counterproductive to success for both the schools and dci..

How can you claim the schools did their jobs properly when they didn't. They needed to add all these new rules to make up for their past ills. The same thing dci needs to do. So we can look into dci's past and but not the schools past. I get it your pro schools, I am to and want to see this get better for all students not just the few in drum corps. There is a bigger picture here that needs to be addressed so all students are safe and for a bright future for dci. I want both.

School systems have had plenty of issues, and in some cases still do. States have been adding new laws and enhancing the process to close holes that have existed for decades. Do you really think something as massive as public education is created 100% perfectly right from the beginning?  Or t,hat we can wave a magic wand and make it perfect all at once now? The world doesn't work that way. There are laws that govern the legal system, and rules that govern individual areas within professions, like teachers, lawyers, doctors, car repair service people, etc. 

Schools did not some of these people thrive and slip through the cracks. In the current articles, some of them actually had their teaching licenses revoked. If a drum corps hires that person, it is not in any way within the purview of the education system. 

Nobody is holding DCI's feet to the fire in a vacuum. Look at the recent furor about the Catholic church...it far outstrips the issues in drum corps, all around the world. The Boy Scouts are considering going bankrupt at lest in part due to the cost of sex abuse lawsuits. There are still far too many  stories of teacher taking advantage of students. Date rape on college campuses....the entire metoo movement....Hollywood abuse...TV executives....on set problems with films and TV...nobody is just looking at DCI. Based on the other items, DCI is hardly a blip on the radar.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

School systems have had plenty of issues, and in some cases still do. States have been adding new laws and enhancing the process to close holes that have existed for decades. Do you really think something as massive as public education is created 100% perfectly right from the beginning?  Or t,hat we can wave a magic wand and make it perfect all at once now? The world doesn't work that way. There are laws that govern the legal system, and rules that govern individual areas within professions, like teachers, lawyers, doctors, car repair service people, etc. 

Schools did not some of these people thrive and slip through the cracks. In the current articles, some of them actually had their teaching licenses revoked. If a drum corps hires that person, it is not in any way within the purview of the education system. 

Nobody is holding DCI's feet to the fire in a vacuum. Look at the recent furor about the Catholic church...it far outstrips the issues in drum corps, all around the world. The Boy Scouts are considering going bankrupt at lest in part due to the cost of sex abuse lawsuits. There are still far too many  stories of teacher taking advantage of students. Date rape on college campuses....the entire metoo movement....Hollywood abuse...TV executives....on set problems with films and TV...nobody is just looking at DCI. Based on the other items, DCI is hardly a blip on the radar.

It’s unfair to blame school systems for drum corps hiring practices.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s unfair to blame school systems for drum corps hiring practices.  

Of course it is.

• Thanks 1