TOC - Chester 2019

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Did they say the exact reasons or just roll with that more general statement?

If it's a downtime issue, all for it. Sometimes you have to get out of that crucible and breathe, staff and members included.

According to the press release which can be found on the Bristol July 4th website,

"Following some unfortunate problems for Drum Corps International in 2018, they have revamped their policies to focus on the safety of participants. Dan Acheson, Drum Corps International CEO stated "With a new focus on safety, heath, and wellness initiatives throughout 2019, we look forward to presenting this year's tour that incorporates intervals of rest for performers, staff, drivers, and volunteers at various times for each corps throughout the summer." 

These "intervals of rest" mean tour dates have been scheduled around the Fourth of July as follows:

June 29, 2019 Lawrence, MA

July 1, 2019 Lynn, MA

July 2, 2019 Clifton, NJ

July 6, 2019 Orlando, FL

Unfortunately Drum Corps International will not be visiting Rhode Island after more than 25 years! The Bristol Fourth  of July Committee is disappointed about this decision but we are hopeful for a return in 2020."

The list of date does not include the first Drum Corps An American Tradition on June 28th or CrownBEAT on July 5th. 

This decision will have a major impact on the Bristol parade. Some of the corps in Clifton will need to be in North Carolina for July 5th, others in Illinois. They won't be able to do a parade and get to their destinations. That being said, we in New England have been spoiled over the years. Three early season shows all within a short driving distance and plenty of choices to see corps in parades on July 4th. However, if one of the three NE shows had to give,  the Rhode Island show is not a huge surprise. I can remember hearing back as long as 2010 it would be the last year, attendance has appeared to be down (it is a larger venue but not a much larger venue and there are lots of spaces). Also East Coast Classic is hosted by BAC and Beanpot awards scholarships to participating corps, so I would be surprised to see either of these shows get pulled from the schedule by DCI.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

It's a decent lineup, but not as strong as previous years.  I've been trying to make Chester my new annual show in place of Allentown, but it's hard to justify it with the lineup as is.  I want to see as many corps live as possible.  

As of right now, six isn't cutting it - regardless of where they placed last year.

The only thing that would make me want to go to the Chester show given the current lineup is the sound of the corps in that stadium. Still, I may have to rethink it and just go to Allentown instead. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

The only thing that would make me want to go to the Chester show given the current lineup is the sound of the corps in that stadium. Still, I may have to rethink it and just go to Allentown instead. 

I'm mulling over it, though I need to look at prices to really decide yea, nay or where. Parking can be a bit odd at both venues for different reasons, and I did like Chester's stadium when I went a few years ago. My only issue were the rather stratospheric prices for the higher seats on the 50, which is why I was a bit lower down.

I've paid big money for VIP tickets at other venues, but included on those were free food vouchers, Souvie discounts, free raffle tickets, and premium parking which paid for the extra cost of the ticket.

5 hours ago, BigW said:

I'm mulling over it, though I need to look at prices to really decide yea, nay or where. Parking can be a bit odd at both venues for different reasons, and I did like Chester's stadium when I went a few years ago. My only issue were the rather stratospheric prices for the higher seats on the 50, which is why I was a bit lower down.

I've paid big money for VIP tickets at other venues, but included on those were free food vouchers, Souvie discounts, free raffle tickets, and premium parking which paid for the extra cost of the ticket.

Talen is NOT a cheap venue for YEA so prices there have alway been high.  TOC shows with 6 of the top 7 were a reliable big draw; these TOCs with 3 or 4 of the top 7 -- not so much.  Chester is a wonderful venue but without the blockbuster line up I will probably pass. 

55 minutes ago, karuna said:

Talen is NOT a cheap venue for YEA so prices there have alway been high.  TOC shows with 6 of the top 7 were a reliable big draw; these TOCs with 3 or 4 of the top 7 -- not so much.  Chester is a wonderful venue but without the blockbuster line up I will probably pass. 

It’s not even that large of a stadium, it will sell out fine imo 

11 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yeah.  The other consideration is the fact that it's a natural turf field which means no tarps allowed.  Not the end of the world usually, but missed out on a decent amount of effect from Regiment, Cavies, and Boston (especially) last year.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:42 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Weren’t Corps having problems getting Allentown sites last year for the big show?

yup. but locally, the story has been quieter, because the last article didn't have much from around here involved.

Honestly, the biggest issue more and more is cost for schools in terms of liability and staffing. Many schools in the region shut everything down Thursday night ( AC, you name it) and don't turn it back on til Monday to cut down on costs. 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:08 PM, BigW said:

Okies- so an hour plus run on the road isn't thought of as a big deal for scheduling and time? Just curious. 

before yes...after not as much. hit traffic going home, let the kids sleep later.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:34 PM, karuna said:

Having Cadets, Crossmen and Surf there are important to that show.  But a good portion of ticket buyers are people who can't / won't spend two nights in the stands at JB Crum and instead get a top 6-7 preview show head-to-head instead of split up.  And they were willing to pay a premium for that opportunity.  Hope they can sell out Talen but that is not a great line up for a Chester show.

this may surprise you, but SCV has some local ties, as does Cavies. That can help draw bodies. and for schools down there, it's easier to bus the kids up for this as opposed to both nights of JBC. 

On 12/29/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tim K said:

According to the press release which can be found on the Bristol July 4th website,

"Following some unfortunate problems for Drum Corps International in 2018, they have revamped their policies to focus on the safety of participants. Dan Acheson, Drum Corps International CEO stated "With a new focus on safety, heath, and wellness initiatives throughout 2019, we look forward to presenting this year's tour that incorporates intervals of rest for performers, staff, drivers, and volunteers at various times for each corps throughout the summer." 

These "intervals of rest" mean tour dates have been scheduled around the Fourth of July as follows:

June 29, 2019 Lawrence, MA

July 1, 2019 Lynn, MA

July 2, 2019 Clifton, NJ

July 6, 2019 Orlando, FL

Unfortunately Drum Corps International will not be visiting Rhode Island after more than 25 years! The Bristol Fourth  of July Committee is disappointed about this decision but we are hopeful for a return in 2020."

The list of date does not include the first Drum Corps An American Tradition on June 28th or CrownBEAT on July 5th. 

This decision will have a major impact on the Bristol parade. Some of the corps in Clifton will need to be in North Carolina for July 5th, others in Illinois. They won't be able to do a parade and get to their destinations. That being said, we in New England have been spoiled over the years. Three early season shows all within a short driving distance and plenty of choices to see corps in parades on July 4th. However, if one of the three NE shows had to give,  the Rhode Island show is not a huge surprise. I can remember hearing back as long as 2010 it would be the last year, attendance has appeared to be down (it is a larger venue but not a much larger venue and there are lots of spaces). Also East Coast Classic is hosted by BAC and Beanpot awards scholarships to participating corps, so I would be surprised to see either of these shows get pulled from the schedule by DCI.

they can hit the MD parades on the way to Florida....$$$$$$$