TOC - Chester 2019

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I just had a chance to read this thread.  The term "intervals of rest" is interesting. 

Could DCI, or would it have to be voted in by the corps, propose a rule that states the maximum shows corps could do each season would be 25 or some other number below 25?

18 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Could DCI, or would it have to be voted in by the corps, propose a rule that states the maximum shows corps could do each season would be 25 or some other number below 25?

To me,its not just the number of shows.

I'd like to see ,among other things, rules governing the maximum hours of rehearsal time per day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

As the Buccaneers call it.... "The Maryland Magical Mystery Tour." :laughing:

Great payday for those corps who take part.

And the mystery began when you got off the bus 

4 hours ago, dans said:

Smart person! I work in a town near Chester. I would avoid walking through Chester at night.

My husband designed the security for the Chester power substation. He had to go out there to walk the site.  He was told by local contractors to not stop the car for anything.   He said it was REALLY bad.  

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

To me,its not just the number of shows.  I'd like to see ,among other things, rules governing the maximum hours of rehearsal time per day.

Good luck with this thought.  Who from DCI is going to travel with each corps to monitor this?  Or does DCI try to find a mm/instructor/volunteer to be snitch?  Maybe each mm has to have an implant of some gizmo to monitor there movements.

Edited by Ghost

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure where the stadium is in Chester. But Chester is listed as one of the worst areas of PA for crime and unemployment. 

As for Rochester one year took a left out of the stadium and drove thru town. Next day couple of people freaked that I did that. Notice I said drove and not walked

It’s right off 95/322 under the Commodore Barry Bridge

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

To me,its not just the number of shows.

I'd like to see ,among other things, rules governing the maximum hours of rehearsal time per day.

Why? Just wondering what makes you consider this.  Top corps have very specific daily rehearsal regimen.  There is much time off.  You can see this on corps sites as they post their day fo all to see.  They have a high level of efficiency because of a high level of talent.  And it isn't necessarily only rehearsal.  Corps do long periods of stretching or yoga and plenty of time for eating and chilling during the day.  ST is certainly more intense but all they are doing at ST IS show rehearsing as they learn the program.  I have seen kids finish their day at ST then go back to the filed on their own to work on their show performance details.  Sometimes with the whole section.  It paid off.  You want to see top level corps perform at the top level, that is what it takes.  Lots of rehearsal.  What is the Malcolm Gladwell premise?  To get really good at something you must do it at least 10,000 times.

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Why? Just wondering what makes you consider this.  Top corps have very specific daily rehearsal regimen.  There is much time off.  You can see this on corps sites as they post their day fo all to see.  They have a high level of efficiency because of a high level of talent.  And it isn't necessarily only rehearsal.  Corps do long periods of stretching or yoga and plenty of time for eating and chilling during the day.  ST is certainly more intense but all they are doing at ST IS show rehearsing as they learn the program.  I have seen kids finish their day at ST then go back to the filed on their own to work on their show performance details.  Sometimes with the whole section.  It paid off.  You want to see top level corps perform at the top level, that is what it takes.  Lots of rehearsal.  What is the Malcolm Gladwell premise?  To get really good at something you must do it at least 10,000 times.

I think part of it is Corps on early at shows have to start the day earlier and often don’t leave show sites right away 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure where the stadium is in Chester. But Chester is listed as one of the worst areas of PA for crime and unemployment. 

As for Rochester one year took a left out of the stadium and drove thru town. Next day couple of people freaked that I did that. Notice I said drove and not walked

The stadium is located in a place where I really wouldn't want to be walking away from the surrounding parking lot areas alone. I like the actual venue. Even driving off the I-95 exit and driving through Chester itself to the venue, I had to be cautious, Philly area drivers can be a bit unpredictable and crazy.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

What I want is to see are top level corps perform safely at a top level.

If I recall,a few years ago there were concerns raised about one corps director not allowing sufficient water breaks.

Again,this comes down to DCI governing the activity.

I believe there should be hard and fast rules governing maximum hours of rehearsal,including stretching ,running ,etc. for  all corps.

I also believe there should be specific restrictions on rehearsals, based on temperature and humidity.

I would also like to see each corps have to have menus prepared by a nutritionist.

As far as members going out "after hours" ,on their own,sometimes you have to put the welfare of the MM ,whether they want to see it or not,over 0.1 points in your score.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Thanks 1