A year ago today

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

I figured as much. The other thing... and I forgot this... When you give up and concede things, you usually will never get them back. That has to weigh on a lot of minds.

The correct approach will give the corps a safety net, a “Put Option” where they can say, under certain circumstances, “This isn’t working..we want it back.”

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Confused by use of “excuse” and “reason”. Around my area have seen couple of reasons why school board members do not want “outsiders” to use “taxpayers” facilities. If not wanting to allow a group that has been involved in a sex scandal access gets added to the mix is that an “excuse” or “reason”. 

Reason: the potential host really wants to house the corps, but something valid and specific (to that particular corps or school) came up.

Excuse: someone really wants to find a way to say no and uses something, even an issue completely unrelated to the specific corps or school, to justify the rejection.

Edited by Stu

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Reason: the potential host really wants to house the corps, but something valid and specific (to that particular corps or school) came up.

Excuse: someone really wants to find a way to say no and uses something, even an issue completely unrelated to the specific corps or school, to justify the rejection.

Understand but don’t forget that crap being done by one corps or person makes it harder for the entire activity. The school contact (thinking band director) might be savvy enough to know which corps are clean but the school board who decides how resources are used probably don’t know or care. Or more to the point school board doesn’t want to go there as it might cost them votes in the next election. “Drum Corps have predators in them. And my opponent let them use OUR schools”

At least in my area the #1 qualification for being on school board is get more votes than the other person

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

• I think it's been a mixed bag.
  • There was a big reaction due to years of handling things, in-house/ behind the scenes.
  • Then some common sense policies were put in place kind of awkwardly.
  • Followed by people being over cautious and overly apologetic over the conversations and things we used to think of as harmless.

Cons- I've seen people on tour known for being the life of the party year after year,( guaranteed to put a smile on your face.) Totally shut down because someone overheard an off-color comment. The mixed company he was talking to was totally entertained by his jokes. The passerby was offended.

- I see people preface everything with a disclaimer

Pros- I like that the new rules put the idiots on notice and those people with impulse control issues, 1 strike you're out! I'm very happy young men and women feel they can safely report indiscretions when they occur.  

• Like 1

I will just observe: The tone and respectful discussion so far this thread has been exemplary. It’s nice when people don’t get in each other’s grill.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understand but don’t forget that crap being done by one corps or person makes it harder for the entire activity. The school contact (thinking band director) might be savvy enough to know which corps are clean but the school board who decides how resources are used probably don’t know or care. Or more to the point school board doesn’t want to go there as it might cost them votes in the next election. “Drum Corps have predators in them. And my opponent let them use OUR schools”

At least in my area the #1 qualification for being on school board is get more votes than the other person

Ya sorta just supported my contention that, most times, school administrators and boards who do not want to house corps actually seek out excuses instead of having valid reasons. The truth takes a side step in the name of expediency for desired outcome; which is having the corps become someone elses housing problem.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

My guess, yep guess, is that there was not a huge spike in housing drops across the 2018 season compared to 2017. But the news did add yet another excuse the ever increasing multitude of reasons on the list where housing has become more of a problem year by year by year.

nationwide no. in the region where the issue still gets high profile press...yeah

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree that a number of corps organizations have taken steps to be proactive.

I don't feel the same about DCI.

I see them as having hunkered down, and weathered the storm.

Despite all the outrage expressed on places like DCP ,there haven't been any changes to their organizational structure,most most notably the Board of Directors.

There also haven't been any changes "at the top".

Unless I missed it,Dan is still there.

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

Just my $0.02

DCI IS THE CORPS.

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Yup! Perhaps they will return 

at a major expense. everything is being sold

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I believe changes were demanded in the BoD composition and they flatly refused. That simple. The lynchpin was touched on above, the clear violation of one of the big ones in the Code. To be honest, I think things would have ended up being muddled through and the corps would still be in DCI if not for the threats made if anyone reported but that's my personal thoughts.

and to be honest, DCI made the same demands of YEA about the board and director almost a year ago