What happened to Madison?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

True. And most scholastic organizations govern and prevent transfer for personal or team athletic gain. Football is not an academic class but a youth competitive environment.

..that is part and parcel of the scholastic sports environment. Parents and their kids move from town A to B all the time, and the kids participate in scholastic activities where they live, be it band, sports, drama, model UN, etc.....  

31 minutes ago, MikeD said:

How do you equate Little League baseball with scholastic football? 

Watch a Rutgers game and you'll know.  :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don't think big government style oversight is needed. 

Maybe it's time for Madison and Rosemont to open up to female membership. I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians. 

Seriously??

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Seriously??

Imagine having written that post and believing it as you typed it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, geluf said:

Imagine having written that post and believing it as you typed it.

Don't get your panties in a twist. It's a fact drill is not nearly as difficult as it was 15 years ago. 

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

..that is part and parcel of the scholastic sports environment. Parents and their kids move from town A to B all the time, and the kids participate in scholastic activities where they live, be it band, sports, drama, model UN, etc.....  

However...... HS Athletes who's families just happen to move and transfer from school X district to a nationally top ranked athletic school A are scrutinized to the nth degree. And they should be!!!!

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

Unnecessarily inflicting suffering on youth is not the kind of suffering I want youth experiencing.  I want youth to chose their own path.  Mandating that they cannot march where they want seems to be exactly that.

They are marching where they want. Nobody forced them to try out for that corps. It was of their own Free Will. However, the nature of fairness withn competition, social cohesivness, and respect for others, mandates that rules of transfer  and competition must be established. There are consiquences for your Free Will choices. Free Will does demand responsibility and consequence of action. So if you made the wrong choice, consequence, even suffering, teaches that respect for others.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

How is that?

Not being snarky here... just an honest, uninformed question.  LOL.

A clarification here. There is nothing wrong with self promotion. BD, for example, should promote themselves. Come see us at the rehearsal site this afternoon, come to the show and see us perform in the stadium, come talk to us after the show. All are wonderfully fine!

But come see us warm up in the lot while the competition is going on in the stadium, and don't bother with the early on corps because We are the real show. That behavior is what goes against the DCI mission. Again, clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Laugh all you want. But the best wisdom is garnered through failure and subsequent consiquences than success. And to truely appreciate succes you must first learn to accept failure with grace.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 7:47 PM, oldbandguy said:

I guess DCI could vote in a rule that accomplished this, but WHO is going to propose it and WHO is going to vote for it...certainly not any top 12 corps I'm guessing.  I would also point out the huge difference between a NCAA player, getting full tuition, room and board, and major league sports where millions are paid vs DCI where THE MEMBERS PAY TO PLAY.

Absolutely. You'd also diminish the talent pool. There would even be more of the "If I can't get into the corps I want and I go elsewhere then have to sit out a year to get where I want, the heck with it." At 5k USD a year or more to pay to play...