What would you think if...

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is not DCI using amped miles for soloists so they “can be heard”. IMO that’s using electronics to get the soloist vs rest of corps sound balanced better. 

What is “it” in the ensemble? Not sure what you mean.

Yes they are using mic's on soloists but not merely so that they can be heard.  They can play and be heard without... They are using the mic's so that they can play the horns like the masters that they are and so that THAT performance can be heard.  The mic's on solos mean that the solo can be beautifully done (period)... Rather that beautifully done (in spite of over projection and the consequential lack of dynamic/timbral contrast that comes from playing without the mic).

Some are positing complex schemes on here where individuals and sections are artificially reinforced as an ensemble to improve the perception of ability.

Edited by cfirwin3

18 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Nobody has 'secrets'.  Not in the interest of 'electronic competition'.  They are borrowing and learning from all over the place.  They are sharing and trading best practices constantly.

I highly doubt that after that Meeting that Bluecoats openly gave up any more than they had to..

Bluecoats have a specific sound Map for LOS. They have sound maps for all Regional Venues... They have small Venue Maps, Large Venue maps... They are learning from every single show they perform at.

They modify Volumes, EQ Settings(Add Highs, Drop Mids, Pump up lows) , Speaker facings etc...

Their goal is to make sure that they sound good in whatever Venue they perform at.

One their information is specific to their setup but the general things that they have learned, ( such as the right EQ mix to produce the best clarity at LOS) That information is worth more than any piece of equipment.. And I highly doubt they are giving that up to anyone... This is their competitive advantage and something that I doubt they are releasing to anyone.. 

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes they are using mic's on soloists but not merely so that they can be heard.  They can play and be heard without... They are using the mic's so that they can play the horns like the masters that they are and so that THAT performance can be heard.  The mic's on solos mean that the solo can be beautifully done (period)... Rather that beautifully done (in spite of over projection and the consequential lack of dynamic/timbral contrast that comes from playing without the mic).

Ok and what is the “it” in ensemble that no one is listening for?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, Glenn426 said:

I highly doubt that after that Meeting that Bluecoats openly gave up any more than they had to..

Bluecoats have a specific sound Map for LOS. They have sound maps for all Regional Venues... They have small Venue Maps, Large Venue maps... They are learning from every single show they perform at.

They modify Volumes, EQ Settings(Add Highs, Drop Mids, Pump up lows) , Speaker facings etc...

Their goal is to make sure that they sound good in whatever Venue they perform at.

One their information is specific to their setup but the general things that they have learned, ( such as the right EQ mix to produce the best clarity at LOS) That information is worth more than any piece of equipment.. And I highly doubt they are giving that up to anyone... This is their competitive advantage and something that I doubt they are releasing to anyone.. 

But anyone can do this.  It's not a secret.

It's not a secret, who is teaching brass at SCV... who is teaching drums at Cavaliers.  That doesn't mean that other groups can use those people... but what is being done, who is doing it, and how is not a secret.

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok and what is the “it” in ensemble that no one is listening for?

Oh, I'm sorry...

Balance, Blend and Intonation can't be perceived and adjusted by marching members during the show.

What is heard on the field is a mess of isolation and overbearing sound at alternating intervals.  They learn their balance and blend limits during music rehearsals and they learn to play in the center of a mechanically tuned instrument.  It's nothing like a stage ensemble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Then you are aligned with essentially nobody (by my quick estimation) in this thread with respect to your cause for disliking amplification.

And, therefor, he's an outcast with an invalid opinion because he's the only one with that opinion (so you say)?

I must have missed that rule in the DCP Rule Book of proper posting etiquette. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Shame on the other corps who use electronics and have not done the same thing.  Every NASCAR team has a "book" on how their cars are set up for every track they race on no matter what weather they have for qualifying and race day.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

That's not true.  The venues are getting bigger and more frequent.

The Akron shoe the other night was triple the size from where it was a couple of years ago.  The seating rivaled finals audience sizes from decades ago.

People aren't dropping out of drumcorp en masse.  Fans are being made and the activity is thriving.  15th place drumcorps are on fire with their content and execution.

You and Ed Sullivan.

"... a really big shoe tonight!"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Oh, I'm sorry...

Balance, Blend and Intonation can't be perceived and adjusted by marching members during the show.

What is heard on the field is a mess of isolation and overbearing sound at alternating intervals.  They learn their balance and blend limits during music rehearsals and they learn to play in the center of a mechanically tuned instrument.  It's nothing like a stage ensemble.

Ok understand better. Best we got in the 70s on the field was being told when to turn up/turn down the volume and that was what I was thinking of by blend. ie: “baris you’re closer to the stands and drowning out the sops behind you, crank it down”. Or “where the #### are the 2nds... can’t hear you”. (It was a Sr Corps)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1