What would you think if...

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But if all that work in ensemble doesn’t do the trick on the field.... we got blend experts for that.... IOW ensemble rehearsal in one thing but trying to duplicate that on an open field is another

Again.  The sound design is not 'fixing' performance inadequacy.  It is either spotlighting performance mastery or it is adding elements that are otherwise impossible to have.

This idea that electronics are making crappy groups sound good is based on absolutely no examples or even a shread of sound engineering theory.

When these groups play their extra encore material... Do they suddenly sound like junk?  Nope.  Indeed they do not.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

My opinions aren't really opinions, more objective observations based on my extensive and continued work with live sound reinforcement, music technology, electroacoustic composition and acoustics/psychoacoustics/sound propagation (and several advanced degrees in these fields). 

This why when people say things like "easy button" and "balance was better in the 70s!" it's a bit triggering...because it's scientifically, demonstrably, objectively, false. 

:laughing:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

The assertion is that it makes corps sound better when they otherwise couldn't hack it competitively.  That's what this is about.  I have twisted nothing.

What does amplification do for an ensemble that doesn't play as well as another?

Well you can auto tune and play "reinforced" recordings to cover all that poor performance up right? 

Just now, Eleran said:

Indeed they do not.  

They sound better.

Then we have nothing to talk about on this topic.  You just gave up the 'farm'!

I'm glad that you don't believe that Crown is made better by their use of electronics.

Just now, E3D said:

Well you can auto tune and play "reinforced" recordings to cover all that poor performance up right? 

No.  You can't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

This why when people say things like "easy button" and "balance was better in the 70s!" it's a bit triggering...because it's scientifically, demonstrably, objectively, false. 

Just to clarify I never compared balances from 70s to today. And easy button was not meant to be triggering. It was a smart aleck response to the posts saying how much electronics was needed for the best blend. To me the more put on electronics means the less the humans are being relied on

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Again.  The sound design is not 'fixing' performance inadequacy.  It is either spotlighting performance mastery or it is adding elements that are otherwise impossible to have.

This idea that electronics are making crappy groups sound good is based on absolutely no examples or even a shread of sound engineering theory.

When these groups play their extra encore material... Do they suddenly sound like junk?  Nope.  Indeed they do not.

Agree. People just don't seem to understand this. They don't have the experience of working with mics, amps, electronic instruments, etc. A bad horn line is still going to sound bad. Bad blend is still bad blend. Many old timers, and some younger folks as well, seem to think that with the new technologies that somehow DCI and the Corps have made it easy for the kids to play well. Just smack the button..."that was easy." It doesn't work like that. And what the Bluecoats are doing is PHENOMENAL, not cheating. Same with BD and the others. 

And as for cleaning the brass book by watering down the parts with weaker players and using your best players to play the more technical stuff...that sort of thing has been going on since the beginning of competitive corps and band. 

• Like 1