Recommended Posts

Hopefully their off season of preparations and discussions has already started.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a suggestion I have been thinking about:  Bring back the Capital Sound (or call them something else) as an Open Class feeder Corps as part of the reorg.  Here are some reasons why:

1.  It could help build local talent - there are 5 Corps (Phantom, Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Colts) within a 500 mile radius of Madison who are currently outscoring the Scouts, and thus diminishing the talent pool available to Madison.  Growing some talent from within could help raise the overall talent level.

2.  It could bring more local brand recognition to the organization.  They could primarily perform locally, say within a day or 2 radius from Madison, with maybe a short 7 day tour to Indy at end of season.  Also parades and other events like standstills.  Maybe impose a requirement that all members must cone from within a 2-3 hr drive of Madison.

3.  It would not need to be a full 154 member Corps with the ensuing logistical trail.  50-70 members is fine.  The Scouts organization probably has enough equipment laying around.

4.  It could serve younger members, and teach them the skills needed to succeed in Open class auditions.  I would suggest a strict upper age limit of 17 - lack of mixed legal adult / minor membership could allow setting up an 'ex loco parentis' system to minimize the potential of shenanigans within the ranks that have been observed at other Corps as of late.

5.  Instructors could be sourced from recent Madison age-outs, or even current membership when schedules allow (the latter primarily during off season) - giving experience to a new crop of instructors as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Hopefully their off season of preparations and discussions has already started.

I’m sure it has

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Here is a suggestion I have been thinking about:  Bring back the Capital Sound (or call them something else) as an Open Class feeder Corps as part of the reorg.  Here are some reasons why:

1.  It could help build local talent - there are 5 Corps (Phantom, Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Colts) within a 500 mile radius of Madison who are currently outscoring the Scouts, and thus diminishing the talent pool available to Madison.  Growing some talent from within could help raise the overall talent level.

2.  It could bring more local brand recognition to the organization.  They could primarily perform locally, say within a day or 2 radius from Madison, with maybe a short 7 day tour to Indy at end of season.  Also parades and other events like standstills.  Maybe impose a requirement that all members must cone from within a 2-3 hr drive of Madison.

3.  It would not need to be a full 154 member Corps with the ensuing logistical trail.  50-70 members is fine.  The Scouts organization probably has enough equipment laying around.

4.  It could serve younger members, and teach them the skills needed to succeed in Open class auditions.  I would suggest a strict upper age limit of 17 - lack of mixed legal adult / minor membership could allow setting up an 'ex loco parentis' system to minimize the potential of shenanigans within the ranks that have been observed at other Corps as of late.

5.  Instructors could be sourced from recent Madison age-outs, or even current membership when schedules allow (the latter primarily during off season) - giving experience to a new crop of instructors as well.

 

 

I don’t think so called feeder corps really works in today’s drum corps. Maybe BDC is a feeder corps for the B corp but BDB is not a feeder for the A. B members still have to audition for the A just like anyone else. Plus the expense of another Corp is a added cost strain. Hence the cut back on both BD and SCV tours for their other corps for a local tour in Ca. And both are probably the two financially stable corps out there, 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

I don’t think so called feeder corps really works in today’s drum corps. Maybe BDC is a feeder corps for the B corp but BDB is not a feeder for the A. B members still have to audition for the A just like anyone else. Plus the expense of another Corp is a added cost strain. Hence the cut back on both BD and SCV tours for their other corps for a local tour in Ca. And both and probably the two financially stable corps out there, 

Good points. I’m surprised at the assumptions these days that geography matters much. The kids are coming from all over. (And of course, I’m generalizing a bit.) It just isn’t the problem it used to be that there are several competitive corps around Madison.

That said, not at all bad for some different thinking, as in something more developmental. Has to make economic sense, however.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel that if this is well planned with the making of the corps going coed it can work for the better of the organization, similar to when the Garfield Cadets went coed decades ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lots of angst forthcoming

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

2.  It could bring more local brand recognition to the organization.  They could primarily perform locally, say within a day or 2 radius from Madison, with maybe a short 7 day tour to Indy at end of season.  Also parades and other events like standstills.  Maybe impose a requirement that all members must cone from within a 2-3 hr drive of Madison.

Perhaps Madison Scouts could once again hold rehearsals in, oh I dunno... Madison rather than 5 hours away in Indy?

Edited by LyricalCoder
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, LyricalCoder said:

Perhaps Madison Scouts could once again hold rehearsals in, oh I dunno... Madison rather than 5 hours away in Indy?

Coats have been in Indiana in May/June for at least two years now. Cavies in Michigan. Troopers in Idaho this past year. Some weekend camps for some Midwest corps have been in Texas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.