Sign in to follow this  
greg_orangecounty

U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Yes, but we know VERY little about the opposing fan in question, what her attitude was. We may not be talking about something innocent. I think we give the guy a pass for now, especially because he was assaulted, and agree that a person who innocently breaks ranks doesn't deserve a beat-down.

 

My first thought was alcohol level of the person going thru the band and person who did the assaulting. And that “if you’re from another school you’re the enemy” crap gets way out of hand

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My first thought was alcohol level of the person going thru the band and person who did the assaulting. Or which school they were connected to as that crap gets way out of hand

It was a female Miami fan who walked into the ranks of the Florida band

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's 100% a military thing, and people pretending to be all military-like when they are nothing like the military cracks me up.

the things people choose to care about. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

It was a female Miami fan who walked into the ranks of the Florida band

Thanks I found the article and was changing my post as you posted.... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lance said:

it's 100% a military thing, and people pretending to be all military-like when they are nothing like the military cracks me up.

the things people choose to care about. 

Were you there? How do you know?

I'm confused whether people are responding to the general concept or the incident in question. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida vs Miami. Huge rivals dating back i believe 90 years. First meeting since 2013. College football playoff hopes for both teams especially Florida. Also keep in mind there is no talks of these teams playing each other for the next several years. Bragging rights for maybe the next 6-7 years.

I watched the entire game and Miami had their chances to win in the final seconds, but lost 24-20. No doubt Miami fans was crushed, upset, and p****d off.

Majority (if not all) of college football games don't serve alcohol. But that doesn't mean people don't drink BEFORE they arrive at the stadium.

Knowing all that..........fast forward to after the game. Florida band (victorious) walking back to the buses, female Miami fan (losing team and more than likely not alone) decides to cut through the Florida band ranks. Whether she did it on purpose or not, in your face trolling, nothing good is coming outta this situation. Best thing to do is let it go. It's possible it could have been a setup, her buddies telling her to walk through their ranks, see if someone says something, just to have a reason to start a conflict. Again who knows........but people today are crazy. Gotta be careful. I am just glad the Director wasn't seriously injured, and all the band members are safe. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Were you there? How do you know?

I'm confused whether people are responding to the general concept or the incident in question. 

 

 

Know I work for DoD so always on the lookout for scary suspicious #### but some stranger wants to walk thru the middle of my group instead of waiting or going around..... they should be stopped or questioned 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, as a high school director, I've had to deal with idiots far too many times trying to get after our students. The real issue is, that only one time was it students being a$$holes to our kids. The other times it was adults, who were upset about what happened in the game (which had nothing to do with the band members), and tried to take it out on the students. Stupid people do stupid things, and unfortunately the rest of us has to deal with the fallout. That being said, I understand the director's desire to try and quell the situation before it went to the WWE level.

Edited by ibexpercussion
misspelled quell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Know I work for DoD so always on the lookout for scary suspicious #### but some stranger wants to walk thru the middle of my group instead of waiting or going around..... they should be stopped or questioned 

the setting we're talking about has nothing to do with the DoD or military, even tangentially.  zero. 

not breaking ranks in the military is something that we all learn the first day of basic.  i was in the marine corps, and all of my relative were army.  same for them.  no idea if it's true for navy/af/cg.  

at any rate, nobody from a different platoon or company would dream of breaking ranks in the marines because we all knew better. if they did try, it was an obvious sign of disrespect. even though i think it's really idiotic for people in a marching band to get worked up about it, if it's something that all members of the marching community know about, then they're in in the same boat. 

but, if it was a civilian who has no clue what it even means to break ranks, we would politely ask them not to pass through our ranks if they tried. happened more than you would think, but we were a ceremonial unit who did a lot of interacting with civilians. 

absolutely no reason to make an issue of it.

i didn't read this article, but if the university marching band staff member was a jerk about it, then he's a moron.  if it was drunks who got belligerent after being asked to go around, then that's a different story, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lance said:

the setting we're talking about has nothing to do with the DoD or military, even tangentially.  zero. 

not breaking ranks in the military is something that we all learn the first day of basic.  i was in the marine corps, and all of my relative were army.  same for them.  no idea if it's true for navy/af/cg.  

at any rate, nobody from a different platoon or company would dream of breaking ranks in the marines because we all knew better. if they did try, it was an obvious sign of disrespect. even though i think it's really idiotic for people in a marching band to get worked up about it, if it's something that all members of the marching community know about, then they're in in the same boat. 

but, if it was a civilian who has no clue what it even means to break ranks, we would politely ask them not to pass through our ranks if they tried. happened more than you would think, but we were a ceremonial unit who did a lot of interacting with civilians. 

absolutely no reason to make an issue of it.

i didn't read this article, but if the university marching band staff member was a jerk about it, then he's a moron.  if it was drunks who got belligerent after being asked to go around, then that's a different story, of course. 

My point is you never know what is going to happen so you have to be careful no matter the situation. Same reason NYC and DC puts up signs over holidays saying “if you see something, report something”. That has nothing to do with the military either but common sense in this day and age

Also article states band director “tried to stop” without giving any details so we have no idea what was done or said or how polite is was said. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.