Audition Advice

I am a high school junior and I was invited to audition for phantom regiment color guard this winter. I have been dancing for 14 years and have a pretty wide vocabulary on flag and rifle however I do not have sabre experience. I was just wondering what skills I should work on before auditions. I know I most likely will not make it and if I do I would almost definatley be an alternate. Any audition tips or specific things I should learn would be appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!

• Like 1

Believe in yourself. Do your best. Learn some things. Meet new people. Have fun.

Don't assume you won't make it or that you don't have the skills needed. Go in with a positive attitude, work hard and see what happens. You never know.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I was told last year that corps now look for dancers before they look for equipment people.  Reasoning is that it is much more difficult to teach equipment favored mm’s to dance at a high level than to teach dancers equipment skills.  I don’t know how valid that is seeing what top guards do with all the equipment they use these days.

if you Dance well and are sufficiently good with equipment you’ll get good enough on Sabre.  But you have a leg up with dance talent and ability. Pun intended.

• Like 1

Make it very clear to anybody watching you at auditions that you have been a dancer for 14 years. Do what you do well, and do it often.

Any chance you get to accentuate your dance technique do it.

When it comes time for across the Floor, plant yourself on one of the front lines where the staff can clearly see you.

Dancers are commonly the featured performers in shows so be confident and proud in your dance technique and as scary as it might be trust in your technique to get you through.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rachel Kibler said:

however I do not have sabre experience. 

I know I most likely will not make it and if I do I would almost definatley be an alternate.  

1.  Borrow a sabre and start practicing.

2.  Start thinking positively.

• Like 1

You'll do fine. The advice given here is the best advice for anyone auditioning for any section. Attitude creates your altitude. Be positive, work hard, be coachable and have fun.