Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hate to bring this up but if the season is cancelled, can DCI survive the blow financially? 

Good point.

It’s a good point but a lot of this...future is out of DCI hands. Stadiums, schools, communities depending on this outbreak will ban large public events. It’s anyone’s guess how long this can last. I’m not confident this will some how go away. At least in 2020. I think Dayton is being proactive and it could be Atlanta next and Indy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roos_Wayne said:

Yeah #### me for wanting to march my rookie/age out year when it would be entirely possible to accommodate it

Yeah, and I wanted to be an airline pilot, too.  But then, big life decisions.  Drum corps teaches those.

Life lesson?  Don't wait until your rook-out year in either drum corps or life.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hate to bring this up but if the season is cancelled, can DCI survive the blow financially? 

Also wondered that if finals for DCI or DCA was nailed for any reason. Also what about the corps and their bills.

• Like 1

I feel bad for members who wont have the chance to march this year, but life isn't a guaranteed bowl of cherries. It isn't all balloons, puppies and rainbows. Things happen that are out of everyone's control and decisions are made for the greater good of society. Just imagine how the young Men who had to postpone their lives to go to fight in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc. Perspective is needed here. Sure, everyone wishes that the Chinese government would have acknowledged Covid 19 earlier and contained it, but they didn't for reasons that I cant mention due to board rules. This too shall pass and we will be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I think his comments are just directed to the one option and the way he believes it might be best for affected members to view the situation for their own best interests.

Of course.

50 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Sure didn’t sound like it. 

Sorry.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

Ah what? Not understanding what you mean. 

If DCA or DCI have to cancel their Finals week (DCI) or weekend (DCA) could they survive financially was first part. That’s assuming season went on OK

Second part is could the individual corps survive financially if the season is cancelled. That’s assuming no events for the season

15 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It’s a good point but a lot of this...future is out of DCI hands. Stadiums, schools, communities depending on this outbreak will ban large public events. It’s anyone’s guess how long this can last. I’m not confident this will some how go away. At least in 2020. I think Dayton is being proactive and it could be Atlanta next and Indy. 

From a very practical standpoint, a significant risk is the "cooling off" period of schools canceling drum corps shows.  It's unfortunate but, generally, our activity is easy to forget and ignore.  The momentum and reminder of annual shows in H.S. stadiums is about staying "top of mind".  Because of a lack of simple staffing, DCI risks being forgotten and allows others to reserve needed facilities.  Indy TEP's who are more band parents than show producers are at most risk, I would think.