If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

3 minutes ago, Continental said:

One of the things that will affect this is complacency.

An attitude of "predictions were wrong so we can go back to normal."  I hope this does not occur. 

Well to show how scary travel even within a state can be. Few days ago PA peaked (hope it’s the peak) with 1900+ new cases, then 1700+ and last 24 hours 1600+. But if you look at the county map it’s like NYC with most cases clustered in Philly, Pittsburgh and Allentown areas. Some rural counties barely have 10 cases. Have a feeling there might be an explosion in these areas as people start unsheltering and moving around. Sisters county went from 2 dozen to over 200 in a few days with sheltering. 
You think people in areas not hit too bad would be welcoming of outsides from hot spots (keeping on topic)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Some of us want to hear both good and bad news to get the whole picture. Concern I have is there will still be pockets of the virus out there and people who were not infected before could get it as we begin to unshelter and start another round of what we are going thru now.

A couple of weeks ago I stated on here that a friend in Japan had posted that he felt some things were getting back to normal.

Guess how that ended up.

Lockdown again. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Continental said:

One of the things that will affect this is complacency.

An attitude of "predictions were wrong so we can go back to normal."  I hope this does not occur. 

Agreed - that would be another conclusion that independent facts fail to support.

(But just as I was typing this... )

7 minutes ago, Continental said:

Some on here feel the need to call out every differing opinion.

An exhaustive effort.  

:doh:

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Agreed - that would be another conclusion that independent facts fail to support.

(But just as I was typing this... )

:doh:

I’d say complacency is a human issue and hard to quantify into a fact 😜

Other than the fact that we (humankind) can be our own worst enemies at time. (Thinking of my latest store trip and all the unmasked people around me. And the ones with a mask that doesn’t cover the nose. 🙄)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’d say complacency is a human issue and hard to quantify into a fact 😜

Other than the fact that we (humankind) can be our own worst enemies at time. (Thinking of my latest store trip and all the unmasked people around me. And the ones with a mask that doesn’t cover the nose. 🙄)

One of my latest trips to the grocery store had people waiting in a huge line which was longer than usual because people were leaving at least 20 feet between them and the person in front of them. 

Imagine a drum corps show with that kind of attitude.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

It sure was nice here the past 12 days, not having to hear any splat-istics like this one.

The crime rate in NYC was lower in previous years.  Maybe the additional deaths you claim are related to that.

I would not worry about the COVID-19 death rate being under-reported.  One of the panel of experts assured us all that anyone who dies "with COVID-19" will be counted, not just those who die "from COVID-19".  In other words, if I test positive, and while heading home to self-isolate, I get hit by a bus, I would count as a COVID-19 death.

I probably have more contact with funeral directors than the average person and can speak a bit about this issue. I have had to conduct a number of services at cemeteries over the past few weeks. For record purposes they are making a distinction between those who have tested positive for Covid-19 and those who die from Covid-19 symptoms. The distinction is important for getting a better understanding so your mishap with the bus could be recorded as a Covid related. However, if your DOA, they may not test you, so it would not be known.

When it comes to under reporting, something that can confuse people is a death certificate. In many cases, the disease a person dies  from  such as cancer, AIDS, or the like is not listed. Congestive heart failure, pneumonia, cardiac arrest would be listed as the cause of death. The disease weakens a person and makes the person more susceptible to the cause of death,  but it it is not considered the actual cause of death. So numbers a hospital reports could differ from municipality numbers. 

• Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

One of my latest trips to the grocery store had people waiting in a huge line which was longer than usual because people were leaving at least 20 feet between them and the person in front of them. 

I better explain my laughing face response... I was think of a field show with at least 20 feet between members

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Continental said:

Our lines would have more uniform intervals.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

When it comes to under reporting, something that can confuse people is a death certificate. In many cases, the disease a person dies  from  such as cancer, AIDS, or the like is not listed. Congestive heart failure, pneumonia, cardiac arrest would be listed as the cause of death. The disease weakens a person and makes the person more susceptible to the cause of death,  but it it is not considered the actual cause of death. So numbers a hospital reports could differ from municipality numbers. 

Thanks Tim. Even if a full autopsy is performed (had some experience with the report over the last few years)  what you say is true for cause of death. Expect mostly pneumonia for coronavirus victims. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1