If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of seeing dead people, it appears that in New York City, the COVID19 death count is being vastly underreported.

In the week of March 23-29, the thirteenth week of 2020, the official death count from COVID in NYC was 680.

But there were about 4,500 total deaths in NYC that week -- as compared to an average of 3,000 deaths in the thirteenth week in previous years.

So in that location, at any rate, it seems more than twice as many people are dying from the coronavirus than are being reported as doing so.

It sure was nice here the past 12 days, not having to hear any splat-istics like this one.

The crime rate in NYC was lower in previous years.  Maybe the additional deaths you claim are related to that.

I would not worry about the COVID-19 death rate being under-reported.  One of the panel of experts assured us all that anyone who dies "with COVID-19" will be counted, not just those who die "from COVID-19".  In other words, if I test positive, and while heading home to self-isolate, I get hit by a bus, I would count as a COVID-19 death.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

It sure was nice here the past 12 days, not having to hear any splat-istics like this one.

I note what N.E. Brigand posts and see if it integrates with whatever I am hearing on the news - from more than one source and more than one network.  

He's been attacked often on here and all he does is report what he sees.   We have the choice to pay attention or ignore him. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Continental said:

I note what N.E. Brigand posts and see if it integrates with whatever I am hearing on the news - from more than one source and more than one network.  

Have a couple sources I follow too. Both ends and then some down the middle lol. Also helps to remember “estimates” = “best guesses” and news sources have a choice of which estimates they want to use... for whatever reason...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Continental said:

He's been attacked often on here and all he does is report what he sees.   We have the choice to pay attention or ignore him. 

He does quite a bit more than that. And that’s why he’s been criticized. He puts a very obvious spin on it, like the - it’s underreported we need more deaths claim. Paint it in the worst possible light for political gain. 

Here’s an actual piece of information. In October 2018 there were 200,000 influenza deaths, in a country 1/3 the population of today. Can you imagine 600,000 deaths?  In one month?  So - from the initial dire prediction of up to 2.2 million deaths from Covid down to 60,000 now is nothing short of miraculous good news. Yes 60,000 is very sad. But at the same time we have mitigated this thing by our good actions. But good news is the opposite of what some seem to want. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

He does quite a bit more than that. And that’s why he’s been criticized. He puts a very obvious spin on it, like the - it’s underreported we need more deaths claim. Paint it in the worst possible light for political gain. 

Here’s an actual piece of information. In October 2018 there were 200,000 influenza deaths, in a country 1/3 the population of today. Can you imagine 600,000 deaths?  In one month?  So - from the initial dire prediction of up to 2.2 million deaths from Covid down to 60,000 now is nothing short of miraculous good news. Yes 60,000 is very sad. But at the same time we have mitigated this thing by our good actions. But good news is the opposite of what some seem to want. 

There is a function on here available to all users. 

It is called "ignored users."

I could post so much more about political spin.  I'll leave that to the moderators to control. 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Continental said:

LIke our avatars - to each, their own.

Which networks, or how many sources, are not the first things I note.  I consider whether an idea makes sense.  That goes for both forum posts and general "news" reports.  

He's been attacked often on here and all he does is report what he sees.   

Not sure either half of that sentence is accurate.

Certainly, when a conclusion is drawn from two unrelated statistics such as "it seems more than twice as many people are dying from the coronavirus than are being reported as doing so", that goes beyond merely reporting what you see (unless the conclusion was fed to you, and you are only repeating it).

As for the rest, I have no idea what you are inferring.  A conclusion was drawn by someone.  I disagree with it.  Is that an "attack"?  And even if so, an attack on whom?

We have the choice to pay attention or ignore him. 

Yes.  I have that choice too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Some of us want to hear both good and bad news to get the whole picture. Concern I have is there will still be pockets of the virus out there and people who were not infected before could get it as we begin to unshelter and start another round of what we are going thru now.

Which actually relates to the thread as the long term affects of possible multiple rounds will hit people wanting to go out or on tour. 1918 flu had at least 1 mutation and lasted almost 3 years before it finally went away. And no one is sure why it went away. Going to be a lot of fear determining fate of DC

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Some of us want to hear both good and bad news to get the whole picture. Concern I have is there will still be pockets of the virus out there and people who were not infected before could get it as we start unsheltering and start another round of what we are going thru now.

One of the things that will affect this is complacency.

An attitude of "predictions were wrong so we can go back to normal."  I hope this does not occur. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

LIke our avatars - to each, their own.

Which networks, or how many sources, are not the first things I note.  I consider whether an idea makes sense.  That goes for both forum posts and general "news" reports.  

Not sure either half of that sentence is accurate.

Certainly, when a conclusion is drawn from two unrelated statistics such as "it seems more than twice as many people are dying from the coronavirus than are being reported as doing so", that goes beyond merely reporting what you see (unless the conclusion was fed to you, and you are only repeating it).

As for the rest, I have no idea what you are inferring.  A conclusion was drawn by someone.  I disagree with it.  Is that an "attack"?  And even if so, an attack on whom?

Yes.  I have that choice too.

Some on here feel the need to call out every differing opinion.

An exhaustive effort.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1