If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gave away my copy of The Great Influenza by John Berry so can’t answer your detailed questions about 1918.

For today I’m thinking there are many people doing the “flatten the curve” bit like myself and have never been exposed. Unless those people only go to places that are virus free they can pick it up somewhere. Don’t think the virus is going to think “hey this guys from Philly and I’ve already hit there so not going back”.

Seriously the scariest part is no one knows why 1918 didn’t bounce around more. IIRC it might have been because it already mutated. But the mutation that killed was the first mutation, not the original Kansas(?) virus

and the Philly war bond drive. Local board of health directed bond drive to be held over objections of other medical people. Reason was support the war and keep up peoples spirits. Then the stuff really hit the fan.

I think for one thing back in 1917-18 there was no travel like we have now. And btw the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain. They called it that because Spain was neutral in WW1 and their press reported this influenza that was killing people during WW1 and in the US. They think this came from Kansas and soldiers brought it there when they went to Europe. And some medical journals have said the Spanish Flu was a strain of H1N1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Pneumonia is also what ended up killing many if not most victims in 1918 pandemic - Influenza led to bacterial pneumonia, & because antibiotics hadn't been invented yet it was this that actually killed them.  

My father's sister died from an ear infection at the age of 6  - back then there were no antibiotics readily available and something like that was often deadly.  That happened in the 30's.

19 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I just read a poll conducted about people willing to go to baseball games if it's possible and 72 percent said they would not go to one until there is a vaccine for Covid-19.

Did the poll say what percentage already were not attending baseball games last year?

5 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think for one thing back in 1917-18 there was no travel like we have now. And btw the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain. They called it that because Spain was neutral in WW1 and their press reported this influenza that was killing people during WW1 and in the US. They think this came from Kansas and soldiers brought it there when they went to Europe. And some medical journals have said the Spanish Flu was a strain of H1N1.

I was thinking more travel today also. 

Spain reported it but US and German authorities kept it quiet while the war was on. Troops coming back and/or sailors on ships that had been to Europe (forget details) brought it back (in mutated form?) to the US and things really hit the fan here. Think Boston and Philly got hit hard first because of ships in the ports. (Man I gotta get another copy of that book).

And somewhere there is frozen tissue of 1918 flu victims. Years back a group went to place near Arctic circle where ground never thawed. With permission they dig up some victims and took samples.

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Completely off-topic, but it mist have been an absolute hoot to play in the orchestra making a Warners Bros. cartoon soundtrack.

I picked up this CD years ago:

51+HAxOseYL._SX450_.jpg

• Like 1

Learned a new term today: NPI. It stands for "non-pharmaceutical intervention", e.g., closing schools and other social distancing measures.

I guess that means DCI's decision was an NPI. Here's more on the term from the CDC.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Pneumonia is also what ended up killing many if not most victims in 1918 pandemic - Influenza led to bacterial pneumonia, & because antibiotics hadn't been invented yet it was this that actually killed them.  

Yes that's exactly what happened. From history books about this Influenza people died a horrible death. Reports were people were bleeding thru their eyes and nose and ears. That indicates major suffocation. Of course they didn't have oxygen tanks or breathing ventilators.

Edited by DFA1970

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Maybe all brass instruments will require a bell mask.....

Unable to copy/paste a photo of a newspaper story of Boston competing at the Pittsfield Boys Club standstill.  The contra's had on white bell covers with a red Waldo.  They were only used in inside standstills and parades. Only used in 65 I believe.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Completely off-topic, but it mist have been an absolute hoot to play in the orchestra making a Warners Bros. cartoon soundtrack.

Symphonies have performed concerts of looney toons music, with a large screen showing the cartoons the music corresponds to.  I saw one in Phoenix, and it was great.  

• Like 2