The 1988 Thread

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's very interesting that you say that.

In that regard, I have to see that DCI's 1988 and 1989 videos are terrible, because they foreground the story way too much. One thing that really blew away friends in 1988 was how SCV semeed to make the whole corps vanish at the end. But on the videos for that year and the next, waaaay to much attention is focused on the individual characters --in at least one of those videos, the disappearing corps effect doesn't come across at all-- which makes it seem like the corps is working hard to "literally tell the story", as you say.

If you want to see really bad DCI videos, check out '83 and '84. 

Pit players during those years were the stars of the show.  So many great visual moments not shown because of focusing on the pit. 

'88 and '89 are an absolute dream compared to those two earlier years. 

A few other interesting stats from 1988:

• As was often the case in the 80s, there were no shows in 1988 where all the top corps met at one time until Semi-Finals and Finals
  • Trying to keep track of scores was difficult. I am not sure 1-800-can-drum was even active yet, and you often could not get a hold of DCW magazine unless you got to a show where it was being sold. Even then it was usually 1 to 2 weeks old.
  • Despite BD's dominance over much of the season, the last time they met up with SCV was July 30. After that BD and SCV would not meet until Semi-Finals and Finals. Because of this it was tough to gauge SCV's progress to see if, and by how much, they had caught-up to BD
  • BD won their August shows leading up to Finals by an average of 1.55, but that was over Garfield 2x, Star 1x, and Cavaliers 4x. Cavaliers in that span had 2 shows in which they only lost by 1 point, and their last encounter with BD by .4 (only 5 days from Semi-Finals)
  • BD hit a regular-season high score of 95.2 on August 10 and then seemingly peaked out and scores would go down over the last week until Semis
  • SCV toured mostly with Madison and VK (and others) during the August period leading up to Finals
  • They won their avg show by 1.13 points, with the Madison Scouts coming within .4 only four days in front of Semi-Finals
  • As many may be aware, no scores were announced during or after semi-finals. Usually scores are announced throughout the day at both Quarters and Semis. It was decided to not announce scores and to not let the corps know what they scored from Semis. Not really sure of the reason for this.
  • Also, based on where you placed the corps drew straws to determine performance order for Finals. This is why Blue Devils appear first on the PBS telecast.
  • I believe this was the first year that the "defending champ" did not go on last, but it may have been 1987 (anyone know this for sure?)
  • Madison Scouts drew the straw for the final spot (of course, little did anyone know that Madison had won Semi-Finals)
  • Well, maybe Steve Rondinaro and the PBS telecast crew knew Semi scores. Steve hinted that there was a "dark horse" in Madison, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I had to revisit the shows somewhat to remind myself of what I liked about that season. Top to bottom 1988 was quality entertainment. I think my favorite shows were:

1. SCV - simply stunning GE and program design
  2. Phantom Regiment - Romeo and Juliet is incredible
  3. Madison Scouts - the Scouts were complex and masterful in the opener (with incredible demand in the brass), and then you had the explosion of Malagena in the closer. A fantastic show with big music GE in the 2nd half
  4. Cavaliers - they were symphonic and beautiful with Firebird.
  5. Velvet Knights - while not as popular as 1992 I really enjoyed this show and the quality of VK in 88 should go without saying. 8th place
  6. Blue Devils - fun music, great solos, overall beautiful show - top notch performers all the way around, if the question was who performs the best (taking out GE and visual design) then BD wins hands down (as they often do because of their ability to perform)
  7. Bluecoats - A definite step-up from 1987 with incredible solos, fun percussion solo, better visual design
  8. Spirit of Atlanta - they actually tied VK in semis I think
  9. and pretty much everyone else - I don't recall not liking anyone

31 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

• Also, based on where you placed the corps drew straws to determine performance order for Finals. This is why Blue Devils appear first on the PBS telecast.
  • I believe this was the first year that the "defending champ" did not go on last, but it may have been 1987 (anyone know this for sure?)
  • Madison Scouts drew the straw for the final spot (of course, little did anyone know that Madison had won Semi-Finals

Cadets went on last didn't they? They obviously we defending champ but don't if that was why they went last or they just drew the spot

20 minutes ago, Moz said:

Cadets went on last didn't they? They obviously we defending champ but don't if that was why they went last or they just drew the spot

You know what, I think you are correct. For some reason I thought it was Madison, but now that you mention that it was Cadets. They were defending champs, but like you said it was due to the position they drew. 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Continental said:

If you want to see really bad DCI videos, check out '83 and '84. 

Don't get me going....missing 83 BD's one-handed snare accel in Paradox and 84 Garfield's company front were bad enough.  Not correcting those shot selections when they were remastered for the DVDs is a travesty. 

And would it have KILLED DCI to let the applause run a bit on those DVDs??  Show ends, we get 2 seconds of crowd reaction and that's it??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

•  

In 1974 defending champ SCV elected not to go on last, allowing Madison (who won prelims) to go on last (no one wanted to go on after Madison).  Strategy worked.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
clarity
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

• As was often the case in the 80s, there were no shows in 1988 where all the top corps met at one time until Semi-Finals and Finals
  • Trying to keep track of scores was difficult. I am not sure 1-800-can-drum was even active yet, and you often could not get a hold of DCW magazine unless you got to a show where it was being sold. Even then it was usually 1 to 2 weeks old.
  • Despite BD's dominance over much of the season, the last time they met up with SCV was July 30. After that BD and SCV would not meet until Semi-Finals and Finals. Because of this it was tough to gauge SCV's progress to see if, and by how much, they had caught-up to BD
  • BD won their August shows leading up to Finals by an average of 1.55, but that was over Garfield 2x, Star 1x, and Cavaliers 4x. Cavaliers in that span had 2 shows in which they only lost by 1 point, and their last encounter with BD by .4 (only 5 days from Semi-Finals)
  • BD hit a regular-season high score of 95.2 on August 10 and then seemingly peaked out and scores would go down over the last week until Semis
  • SCV toured mostly with Madison and VK (and others) during the August period leading up to Finals
  • They won their avg show by 1.13 points, with the Madison Scouts coming within .4 only four days in front of Semi-Finals
  • As many may be aware, no scores were announced during or after semi-finals. Usually scores are announced throughout the day at both Quarters and Semis. It was decided to not announce scores and to not let the corps know what they scored from Semis. Not really sure of the reason for this.
  • Madison Scouts drew the straw for the final spot (of course, little did anyone know that Madison had won Semi-Finals)
  • Well, maybe Steve Rondinaro and the PBS telecast crew knew Semi scores. Steve hinted that there was a "dark horse" in Madison, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I had to revisit the shows somewhat to remind myself of what I liked about that season. Top to bottom 1988 was quality entertainment. I think my favorite shows were:

3. Madison Scouts - the Scouts were complex and masterful in the opener (with incredible demand in the brass), and then you had the explosion of Malagena in the closer. A fantastic show with big music GE in the 2nd half
  5. Velvet Knights - while not as popular as 1992 I really enjoyed this show and the quality of VK in 88 should go without saying. 8th place
  6. Blue Devils - fun music, great solos, overall beautiful show - top notch performers all the way around, if the question was who performs the best (taking out GE and visual design) then BD wins hands down (as they often do because of their ability to perform)
  7. Bluecoats - A definite step-up from 1987 with incredible solos, fun percussion solo, better visual design

it was -1900-CAN DRUM. it wasn't free, you paid for it. and sometimes they got you several times as it could be updated very late

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

BD went on last in 87, as they were defending champions.....which caused an outcry in some circles when Cadets got a perfect percussion score when there was still one corps to perform.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Continental said:

So many great visual moments not shown because of focusing on the pit. 

Don't get me started.  Next to props pits are second least return on investment.

Wouldn't mind them so much but there are so MANY of them!  Why?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Don't get me started.  Next to props pits are second least return on investment.

Wouldn't mind them so much but there are so MANY of them!  Why?

At least in the past few days someone posted '84 Vanguard high-cam. 

Note - it's not finals. The color of the pants changed for finals. 

https://youtu.be/ryqwkogBOHs

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2