Mandarins - Here We Go Again

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

"I can still hear this man telling me that it was my fault that the Mandarins didn't make finals in 2017 because I couldn't bring everybody's horns up at the same time."

(By the way, can someone explain this to me?  I do not recall the 2017 Mandarins show ever having the drum major bring horns up.)

I think what really held them back was that huge picture of a sheep in lingerie.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

I marched drum corps from 64-72. I also taught HS bands at varying positions from 1971 through 2017. People like Jackson do not belong teaching students who are basically 14-18 years old, IMO. As a band director, if I had somehow had him on my staff I would have read him the riot act about his behavior with my band, just based on the video. If he did not adjust his approach he would have been gone.

However....

A lot of the reaction here is because we have read about his behavior in Reddit and Instagram, and this is one small component, not to mention a video of him at Ayala that was removed from Instagram. If you just saw the video in this thread, you might say the guy is rude and boorish, but that is about it. Look at this video as the tip of a huge iceberg. There is no way this guy should be working with young people in any way, shape or form reviewing the entirety of what has been posted. That includes band, drum corps and winter percussion. 

I based my opinion on the video I saw.  I have family in Chino, CA and a niece that went to Ayala, so I know of him.  I didn't know he was accused of any abusive behavior in Drum Corps, but if that short video is somehow supposed to be evidence of guilt........I think it's utterly ridiculous, and thus my "soft" comment. 

School districts in California have been litigated to death and have strict no-bully policies that apply to all school staff too.  If he's as bad as Reddit and Instagram have judged him to be I find it hard to believe he'd still be employed in the Chino Valley School District as it's not worth it to them. 

19 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I based my opinion on the video I saw.  I have family in Chino, CA and a niece that went to Ayala, so I know of him.  I didn't know he was accused of any abusive behavior in Drum Corps, but if that short video is somehow supposed to be evidence of guilt........I think it's utterly ridiculous, and thus my "soft" comment. 

School districts in California have been litigated to death and have strict no-bully policies that apply to all school staff too.  If he's as bad as Reddit and Instagram have judged him to be I find it hard to believe he'd still be employed in the Chino Valley School District as it's not worth it to them. 

Somehow I have the feeling he knows what he can get away with different groups and acts accordingly....

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I thought the same thing with respect to the video that is posted here. There was another video mentioned where he is making references to peanut butter. That is inappropriate behavior for an adult. I don't know this for sure but that peanut butter video felt like a joke. If it was just students saying that then it would be different and I would know for sure it was some teenagers who saw a movie where this is referenced "road trip"? and were having a laugh with rude and crude comments.  Maybe that is what Ike was doing also, but he is the adult and that is not how I want an adult talking to kids. 

Some will pile on things now that the accusations and investigation have started. If I knew a few of the complaints on this reddit I would not want my teenager around him. 

With all that - Your Soft assessment is true for many of the comments made here. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't use facts, they arent old school enough

........................Here's another "old school" fact:  There are parents outside of the Ayala High School boundaries that falsely report their home address.  They use addresses of family or friends within the Ayala boundaries just so their kids can be a part of their music programs, including drum line. 

Maybe people don't vote with their feet anymore?

If Ike Jackson needs to be investigated for "abuse" and "predatory behavior" then do it.  But this notion of social media as judge, jury, and executioner is troubling, at least to me.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Thank you.  I hope one day you will be secure in your own opinion.  

You could have replied with the seemingly acceptable post – “thoughts and prayers” or “Amen brother” then gotten glad handed.

Social media including message boards tend to pile on regardless of topic. I do know that for one person / member, that has replied here on the topic this is personal and she has every right to voice her opinions , concerns and anger. I totally understand and respect it.