Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

now the cdc is saying there’s zero evidence that masks actually help

I totally agree with you that experts' understanding and guidance has shifted, but on this particular point, whatever they may be saying about evidence, the CDC is certainly recommending masks at this time:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

That page was last updated on August 6.

It was back in the late winter and early spring when mask wearing was not being actively recommended by the CDC and other authorities. That was due to an understandable fear that there would be a run on N-95 masks (desperately needed by hospitals), but to the discredit of those authorities, they didn't say that explicitly and instead indicated that masks were ineffective for the general public. Many people criticized those agencies for those statements, pointing to the heavy use of masks in Asia, among other things. At some point in March, I linked from here to a study showing that even homemade cloth masks could offer some protection.

The CDC started advising mask wearing on April 3.

Anyway, it's interesting to learn how and why some protocols exist. Here's some new information on distancing:

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Semantics. The disease is still out there right? 

Yes, the polio virus still exists in nature. The only one eradicated is smallpox, although there are lab samples extant. There is also a closely related virus in monkeys that is still out there as well.  

• Like 1

"It looks like the virus is not as deadly as the mainstream media first made it out to be."

That is an actual statement put out today on the Twitter account of a famous person...

...who DIED of the coronavirus a few weeks ago.

So even if drum corps become drum corpses, it may not be that bad!

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"It looks like the virus is not as deadly as the mainstream media first made it out to be."

That is an actual statement put out today on the Twitter account of a famous person...

...who DIED of the coronavirus a few weeks ago.

So even if drum corps become drum corpses, it may not be that bad!

is it shown that he died OF covid or WITH covid?

It was announced this morning that something like 90% of the covid deaths had comorbidity.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

is it shown that he died OF covid or WITH covid?

It was announced this morning that something like 90% of the covid deaths had comorbidity.

Yes, that report is, as it happens, the very claim that the DEAD person is citing.

As if to say: "I'm dead but I didn't really die OF covid! Instead I died WITH covid."

Edited by N.E. Brigand

On 8/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, E3D said:

In Texas , Florida, and Arizona - I don't think they sent anyone positive into a nursing home. 

I don't know whether they did or didn't. I do know that these are the ten states (districts, territories, etc.) with the highest per capita deaths due to Covid-19 in nursing homes:

1. Massachusetts

2. New Jersey

3. Connecticut

4. Rhode Island

5. District of Columbia

6. Mississippi

7. Pennsylvania

8. Maryland

9. Arizona

10. Delaware

source: https://data.cms.gov/Special-Programs-Initiatives-COVID-19-Nursing-Home/Resident-Average-Deaths-per-1-000-Residents/ps29-t4uv

Texas and Florida are down in the middle of the pack.

For unknown reasons, four states are under investigation by the Dept. of Justice regarding how nursing homes in their states handled Covid-19: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, though two of them don't even make the top ten. I wonder what those states did wrong that Arizona and Mississippi, for example, supposedly did right.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't know whether they did or didn't. I do know that these are the ten states (districts, territories, etc.) with the highest per capita deaths due to Covid-19 in nursing homes:

1. Massachusetts

2. New Jersey

3. Connecticut

4. Rhode Island

5. District of Columbia

6. Mississippi

7. Pennsylvania

8. Maryland

9. Arizona

10. Delaware

source: https://data.cms.gov/Special-Programs-Initiatives-COVID-19-Nursing-Home/Resident-Average-Deaths-per-1-000-Residents/ps29-t4uv

Texas and Florida are down in the middle of the pack.

For unknown reasons, four states are under investigation by the Dept. of Justice regarding how nursing homes in their states handled Covid-19: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, though two of them don't even make the top ten. I wonder what those states did wrong that Arizona and Mississippi, for example, supposedly did right.

What was the total number of deaths in nursing homes for each state? 

Funny you use this type of statistic when you want it to benefit you. 

What about overall deaths in each state per 1 million people. Why not post that up? Because it looks terrible in fact a couple of states have more than some countries. 

If a person is asymptomatic steps out in front of a car - that is a covid death correct? Exactly why some people look skeptically at the "numbers". 

Look I totally realize you are disappointed that the "rolling wave" did not get worse in the sunbelt. You don't have to get all upset and start digging for cherry picked statistics , you could just sit at home and listen to podcasts Drum Corps AF created by the guys with their heads up their own #####. :lol:

New info from our local winter circuit (covering groups in 4 Southern states) as to the 2021 season:  
(Season runs January - March with some groups competing in WGI as well.)

In these uncertain and changing times we are working to move forward with a season that will serve our students, Instructors and Designers. There's a lot of details to work out but I want to share with you where we are today. 

• We have a list of host schools ready to move forward.
  • We will develop and customize each events to follow State and Local guidelines. 
  • Our goal is to offer our students the opportunity to perform and experience the Winter season within the Pageantry Arts.
  • Membership Registration, Payment deadlines and Contest Registration timelines are also being reviewed.
  • Due to out of state travel restrictions by some school districts, there will be State Championships held in 3 locations. (Combining 2 states unaffected by restriction)

This is just the beginning of what will be a different but successful 2021 season. I'll have more to share at the fall meeting and beyond.

The fall meeting is being held via zoom in a couple of weeks.  This may actually be a "smidgen" of good news? :drool:  

Of course, this could all change tomorrow...

Added Info:  

Winter 2021; Winter Circuit competition starts in January & runs through the end of March.  Some of these groups compete in WGI as well.  
Winter Guard & Percussion Percussion shows are being designed & most groups will hold auditions over the next couple of months.  
Posted in reference to the "No WGI..." 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, E3D said:

[1] What was the total number of deaths in nursing homes for each state?  Funny you use this type of statistic when you want it to benefit you.  What about overall deaths in each state per 1 million people. Why not post that up? Because it looks terrible in fact a couple of states have more than some countries. 

[2] If a person is asymptomatic steps out in front of a car - that is a covid death correct? Exactly why some people look skeptically at the "numbers". 

[3] Look I totally realize you are disappointed that the "rolling wave" did not get worse in the sunbelt. You don't have to get all upset and start digging for cherry picked statistics , you could just sit at home and listen to podcasts Drum Corps AF created by the guys with their heads up their own #####. :lol:

[1] I was responding to your post about nursing home deaths with a link to a U.S. government page that breaks those down per capita by state. Now you indicate that you want different numbers. Well, by all means feel free to provide them.

[2] No, that's not a Covid-19 death. There have probably been some incorrectly recorded deaths here and there, but overwhelmingly you'll find that deaths in car accidents are not counted as Covid-19 deaths.

[3] I'm certainly not disappointed that the number of deaths is "only" 183,000. I'm certainly not disappointed that we're "only" averaging the number of deaths from 9/11 every three days.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

New info from our local circuit (covering groups in 4 Southern states) as to the 2021 season:

[...]

The fall meeting is being held via zoom in a couple of weeks.  This may actually be a "smidgen" of good news? :drool:  

Of course, this could all change tomorrow...

This is fall 2021? I'm certainly expecting normalcy by then, though as you say...