Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s what I have read from people posting as have not seen details from the state. Like NJ, PA does not give details on the decisions made and IMO making things harder on themselves. CV was apparently passed from the CV “wing” to non CV “wings” by staff. 
The last sentence is my take as number of staff cases were also horrible. 

Of course next unanswerable question is: where should the patients recovering from CV go if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength? 

several hospitals in Florida were putting those being tested and waiting on results in covid units. I saw this1st hand 3 times. If you went in the ER symptoms or not you were tested and put in a unit if you were admitted for any reason until results came back. sometimes hours somtimes a full day

Edited by GUARDLING

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Somewhere that is isolated from nursing home populations. 

This was supposed to be a hard question?

And where would that be? Or am I going to get another snotty response?

”questions are easy when people who are not responsible answer them” IOW love that Monday morning quarterbacking NOT

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

several hospitals in Florida were putting those being tested and waiting on results in covid units. I saw this1st hand 3 times

Heard second hand about one local hospital had a covid unit set up and prepping for a second one. The worry was what to do when that second one filled up. Think each unit only had 20 or so beds but not sure if that was beds with respirators or CV beds in general.

Another missing piece in this is CV patients went to nursing homes in the early stages of this when PA was getting nailed like NY and NJ. Huge fear was how much worse was this going to get and were there going to be enough bed space. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Heard second hand about one local hospital had a covid unit set up and prepping for a second one. The worry was what to do when that second one filled up. Think each unit only had 20 or so beds but not sure if that was beds with respirators or CV beds in general.

Another missing piece in this is CV patients went to nursing homes in the early stages of this when PA was getting nailed like NY and NJ. Huge fear was how much worse was this going to get and were there going to be enough bed space. 

back in April one hospital had a covid unit on one  floor ( part of it) last month an ID dr. told me there now was a unit on evey floor

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Found it... in a two week period during the worst of this, PA went from about 200 cases a day to over 2,000 (and no idea that this would be the peak). Hence the worry about bed space. The state actually had the count of available hospital beds (all beds not just CV) and respirators on their website to try to calm people down during that time. But man those available percentages kept dropping.

Now about 600 or so a day for new cases.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And where would that be? Or am I going to get another snotty response?

”questions are easy when people who are not responsible answer them” IOW love that Monday morning quarterbacking NOT

What do you mean, where would that be?  The choices are numerous, and your question was general.

Based on the only specific you gave in your post... "if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength", then they could go home.  If "home" is a nursing home, they can go there as long as vulnerable populations are adequately protected.  If the nursing home cannot adequately protect vulnerable populations by themselves, then the state might provide assistance to get them to that goal as part of state pandemic response.  If that is not possible, then the state should instead provide alternate facility space for that purpose as part of state pandemic response (much like they do when increasing available beds in a crisis).  There was a tremendous quantity of unused spaces available due to lockdowns already imposed by these same states.  Some of those spaces (i.e. motels) were already being commandeered by states for quarantining - they could have quarantined outpatients there as well until they were confirmed non-infectious.

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What do you mean, where would that be?  The choices are numerous, and your question was general.

Based on the only specific you gave in your post... "if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength", then they could go home.  If "home" is a nursing home, they can go there as long as vulnerable populations are adequately protected.  If the nursing home cannot adequately protect vulnerable populations by themselves, then the state might provide assistance to get them to that goal as part of state pandemic response.  If that is not possible, then the state should instead provide alternate facility space for that purpose as part of state pandemic response (much like they do when increasing available beds in a crisis).  There was a tremendous quantity of unused spaces available due to lockdowns already imposed by these same states.  Some of those spaces (i.e. motels) were already being commandeered by states for quarantining - they could have quarantined outpatients there as well until they were confirmed non-infectious.

By going home I meant their personal residence. Sorry for the confusion.

Also sorry but you miss the difference between needing nursing home care (which is not considered out patient as the patients reside there) and being healthy enough to care for yourself while needing a place to stay under quarantine. In nursing home care the patients still require medication, therapy and monitoring in any combination to make sure they are getting healthier. Not to mention feeding, cleaning, etc, etc all which is done by trained staff. This country has a shortage of medical personnel (especially nurses) so it is doubtful there would be enough to be able to go from hotel room to hotel room with the med carts, etc. 

My understanding is if you were healthy enough to take care of yourself but possibly had CV then you were supposed to quarantine at home or some place of your choosing.

CV or not if you were in a nursing home but now healthy enough to to take care of yourself, your butt would no longer be in a nursing home. And before you are released to go to your residence, nursing home staff checks your residence to make sure you would be safe. Covers their butt and also gives them a legal way to get your butt out of the nursing home or rehab center. It’s called a home check and have dealt with a few of them over the years (2 from a nursing home and 1 from a rehab center)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Somewhere that is isolated from nursing home populations. 

This was supposed to be a hard question?

Watch out now we don't want the mask debate to creep back in here. :lol:

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

By going home I meant their personal residence. Sorry for the confusion.

Also sorry but you miss the difference between needing nursing home care (which is not considered out patient as the patients reside there) and being healthy enough to care for yourself while needing a place to stay under quarantine. In nursing home care the patients still require medication, therapy and monitoring in any combination to make sure they are getting healthier. Not to mention feeding, cleaning, etc, etc all which is done by trained staff. This country has a shortage of medical personnel (especially nurses) as it is so doubt if they would be able to go from hotel room to hotel room with the med carts, etc. 

My understanding is if you were healthy enough to take care of yourself but possibly had CV then you were supposed to quarantine at home or some place of your choosing. 

You said "if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength".  But again, if they require nursing home care, then that is what they should get - without infecting other nursing home populations.  

Motels inadequate?  Plenty of other spaces were locked down.  Medical offices, outpatient surgery centers, physical therapy facilities, and other places with relevant equipment could have been put to use in a pinch.  Sports facilities at the pro, amateur, collegiate, K-12, and community levels were empty.  Schools, including colleges and their dormitories, were vacant.

Short on personnel?  Tap the military and reserves.  Bring retirees back temporarily.  Put students to work wherever appropriate for their level of education/training/supervision.  And remember all those medical offices, surgery centers, PT, etc. that were on lockdown?  That was another army of highly-trained people with sudden availability.

14 hours ago, Algernon said:

WGI will go virtual this season, mark my words

and we are prepared. better to have plans that are easy to change. We cancelled 7 more weeks of indoor in 72 hours, and when we realized the fall outlook got worse, we had a virtual plan in place in a week. When we are able to get to a schedule like the old days ( aka 2019), we'll probably forget how to actually do it