DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

New shady characters - this is true.  Each & every one of us is just one swing away from being an axe murderer.  Does this mean no one should ever hire us because we are a potential axe murderer?  No, of course not.  But if we observe someone about to murder someone with an axe we need to intervene to the best of our abilities, & get law enforcement involved immediately.  And make sure the person with the axe doesn't get another job in the activity EVER AGAIN.

That said, this is not a new problem.  The manager of the Muchachos in the mid 1970s had gone to prison for the killing of Garfield's drum major (crime was in late 50s or early 60s?).   The other DCI Corps directors were't too fond of him, but did they do anything about it?  No, other than enforce the 1975 DQ - and that directly hurt the members.  How much better would it have been if DCI told the Muchachos in 1972 that they were welcome, but 'The Boss' (DeLucia's term) was not?  I think this would have prevented considerable heartache (albeit with one less topic to argue over on DCP).

Well you upacked alot there. To address the 1st Agree....As I said corps need to do a better job with the hiring and homework sifting through all this. It also starts or continues with HS programs. People do alot just to be successful and will continue so it makes it hard although it shouldnt be.

Now the 60s was a very different time than it is now . AS far as Muchachos , there were many I I do mean many who felt Mac ( the corps director ) was actually covering for someone else in that matter, someone with alot more to lose. I 'm not going to get more into it than that BUT I do know that as fact. So at that time the view on all this was alot different than the story line of time.

You also are right though, it was a direct hit to the director. It was also well known that Don P. of DCI had no love for Mac, director.

Edited by GUARDLING

15 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes but DCI ( as a whole or the office )does not hire or fire staff for individual corps. Corps are quite aware of a staffs persons past before hiring. We all know that. We are a small activity and it's not hard.

It was my argument about a certain infamous director and who knew what when and those who stuck their heads in the sand when exposed, especially those who were close to this person for decades. Even those who helped expose the person but when they weren't of use to this person ( common  ) acted like they knew nothing for decades but spent years up their butt.

So YES, DCI is the corps ) which many people forget ( so we do agree )BUT it does start with the breakdown of an individual corps. We can actually take it further with what HS programs, with all the drum corps people leading those programs know of the shady character before hiring or vise versa.

I think we can weed out for sure but eliminate totally is not possible ever. There will always be the new shady character worming themselves in. Constant observation and not letting talent get in the way of  judgement is the best way IMO to stay on top of this.  

correct. but they made a big show after Hopghazi of having an organizational public response on how this to be handled...Pioneer anyone? Since then.....crickets, yet stories continue to emerge and big stories stay submerged. Then, after all of that, they partner up with Varsity, whose reputation actually makes DCI look good?

Yeah, sorry but not sorry. in a long line of stupid ####### decisions from Lombard and Indy, this one is speeding towards the top of the list

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

correct. but they made a big show after Hopghazi of having an organizational public response on how this to be handled...Pioneer anyone? Since then.....crickets, yet stories continue to emerge and big stories stay submerged. Then, after all of that, they partner up with Varsity, whose reputation actually makes DCI look good?

Yeah, sorry but not sorry. in a long line of stupid ####### decisions from Lombard and Indy, this one is speeding towards the top of the list

To be fair, the Soundsport thing barely dips their toe in the partnership pool.  But that said... what if DCI now breaks said partnership in an act of prioritizing member safety?

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I agree yet it still comes down to the individual BEFORE the issue becomes an issue. Collectively, alot can be done BUT if it's not going to be enforced from the start then this will always come up. Actually it will always come up because unfortunately there will always be the shady character lurking around. I do think DCI ( the whole ) needs to react with a firm hand when these things do come up but also not in the court of public opinion but actual facts. It is  a tough position to be in for sure sifting through all of it and I can give examples 1st had when I had to deal with  bad behavior of a staff member BUT as well  that same behavior out of a member toward another member or a staff member. Finding the victim on face value is one thing but there have been many cases where the victim ended up being quite the opposite of what was thought of initially.

HS programs could be saying the same about drum corps theses days  as you say about Varsity  and if HS programs collectively brush the drum corps activity with a broad brush and eliminate DCI or drum corps with all that has happened , our activity will not survive. One can say ,well if that happens HS programs will suffer, well I would say, which one do you think would actually survive? Easy call I think.

It is DCI's responsibility to firmly and consistently react wisely to all of this but the individual must work harder at controlling  this from the beginning BEFORE it gets to the collective body.

Unfortunately, we both know momentary success clouds judgement and we also know plenty of people who would sell their soul for that success ( and have )

So again, I think we do agree

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To be fair, the Soundsport thing barely dips their toe in the partnership pool.  But that said... what if DCI now breaks said partnership in an act of prioritizing member safety?

and Varsity owning a major DCI partner in Stanbury...and the band stuff...i am sure i am missing some activity related tentacle.

Varsitys intentions have been known since they explored buying YEA after the Cadets broke off. 

21 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I agree yet it still comes down to the individual BEFORE the issue becomes an issue. Collectively, alot can be done BUT if it's not going to be enforced from the start then this will always come up. Actually it will always come up because unfortunately there will always be the shady character lurking around. I do think DCI ( the whole ) needs to react with a firm hand when these things do come up but also not in the court of public opinion but actual facts. It is  a tough position to be in for sure sifting through all of it and I can give examples 1st had when I had to deal with  bad behavior of a staff member BUT as well  that same behavior out of a member toward another member or a staff member. Finding the victim on face value is one thing but there have been many cases where the victim ended up being quite the opposite of what was thought of initially.

HS programs could be saying the same about drum corps theses days  as you say about Varsity  and if HS programs collectively brush the drum corps activity with a broad brush and eliminate DCI or drum corps with all that has happened , our activity will not survive. One can say ,well if that happens HS programs will suffer, well I would say, which one do you think would actually survive? Easy call I think.

It is DCI's responsibility to firmly and consistently react wisely to all of this but the individual must work harder at controlling  this from the beginning BEFORE it gets to the collective body.

Unfortunately, we both know momentary success clouds judgement and we also know plenty of people who would sell their soul for that success ( and have )

So again, I think we do agree

HS programs are....hence the housing issues that popped up in PA, and continue to happen elsewhere.

but DCI continues to for the most part as an organization and as individual groups kick the can down the road and now partner up with a company with a worse reputation.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

HS programs are....hence the housing issues that popped up in PA, and continue to happen elsewhere.

but DCI continues to for the most part as an organization and as individual groups kick the can down the road and now partner up with a company with a worse reputation.

I agree but HSs can say the same of the rep. of DCI of late. I think it's a problem that many face in this country. Where progress can be made is everyone on the same page , right from the beginning. We both know as I said those who will take the chance on a person or situation just for success and have. It will be an ongoing battle moving forward for sure.

HS programs for sure will survive...we agree and the housing issue will not get better for drum corps. A self inflicted wound for some.

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think they're planning to make a plan to plan an announcement about a planned announcement down the road.  (I probably could have written that a little better, but I'm under the influence of sinus medicine.) No COVID test yet; I can still taste my food.   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

The partnership pool is the division of each year's profits to finance the DCI office and the world class corps. Open class corps ,Soundsport and Drum Line Battle see very little of this money.

• Like 1