Phantom Regiment 2022

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'd say folks on DCP set some unrealistic expectations after the first show. I was reading "TOP SIX FINISH!!!" on here when that was just never in the cards.

I hope they prove you wrong.

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

If you get really excited about 1996 and 2008, you will know the answer. Yes! It’s fun when they medal. There’s no shame in admitting that. But you don’t medal without being compared, and you don’t stay world class either. I love comparing them. Getting to watch them Saturday night is based on their comparison to others. There’s no difference in this discussion and any other sport. And, there’s nothing wrong with that. 

That’s a fair point. 😀👍

• Like 1

Just now, RContra said:

That’s a fair point. 😀👍

And you’re nice for not getting in a war with someone that has a different opinion! Give RContra a beer and a giant pretzel. He wins nicest poster for Thursday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Hrothgar15 said:

Has there ever been a narration-driven show theme in drum corps that wasn’t trite and insipid like this?

NOPE!

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:07 PM, PRomoter said:

77.8 tonight. I may be wrong at the end of the season, but I believe we will see a 6th or 7th place finish.

Sorry, that's not going to happen, and I'm a homer! They want to play part of the 'game' but corps like Boston, Devils, Crown and even lower rung corps like Mandarins have gone 'all in.' Until Regiment does that, they will be the Pioneer of the top 12, that cute corps everyone likes but doesn't challenge for a top spot. That said, these are design issues, not member issues. 

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I hope they prove you wrong.

I hope so too. But realistically, 7th is their peak and that’s a very optimistic outlook

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Sorry, that's not going to happen, and I'm a homer! They want to play part of the 'game' but corps like Boston, Devils, Crown and even lower rung corps like Mandarins have gone 'all in.' Until Regiment does that, they will be the Pioneer of the top 12, that cute corps everyone likes but doesn't challenge for a top spot. That said, these are design issues, not member issues. 

I disagree - it seems that basics and fundamentals teaching are the limiting factors right now IMO - so the tech and instructional staff, not the members or even the design; in fact, I'd applaud them for sticking true to their corps identity in terms of design, even if "modernized" somewhat. Dismissing others' achievement as just "going all in" on "the game" dismisses some very good instruction and achievement by those members. I mean Mandarins, BD etc - are doing what they do VERY WELL with solid, consistent technique from the individual mm. 

40 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I hope so too. But realistically, 7th is their peak and that’s a very optimistic outlook

A five place jump from 2019 would be nice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Just my opinion, but I suspect that if Phantom went "all in" they would lose a key part of their identity that the crowd relates to.  They are quite far from the "Pioneer" of the top 12.  I won't go into pre-season predictions and current placement, but when they play there are a lot of audience members that fall in love with them.....again.  They have on multiple occasions brought back the love that the audience feels for them. 

I don't want them to adopt the current style of upper-echelon corps.  I want them to remain true to why I love them.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2