BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

I was wondering what the reasons are why the Blue Devils selected Laramie Wyo. for pre season move ins.  Anybody want to chime in as to why  Laramie, Wyo.  ? I looked up the temps out there this time of year and.... brrrrrrr.... its cold !. For example, temps next week are expected to be in the 40's and 50's during the day, and for evening practice on the field under the lights after dinner,  in the 30's. It apparently will " warm up", later in the week to the daytime low 60's for the high, and under the stadium lights in the evening to the low 40's according to AccuWeather.  its cold out in Laramie, Wyo this time of year. Not until late June do temps during the day historically make into the low 70's on average. I'm just not getting why the Blue Devils moved out of much warmer venues and selected Laramie, Wyo as their move in site. Any info that can help me understand why Laramie, Wyo is appreciated... thanx.

It was a very last minute development. The venue they have traditionally used in CA was unable to host them. They found this out in March, I believe. They then had to scramble a bit to find a place that had necessary facilities (practice fields/rooms, places to stay, food.) U Wyoming has all they needed AND was willing to host. The dorms are warm, there is an indoor practice facility and a very nice music building. No complaints from my daughter anyway. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And in CA, the corps has to find their own housing, which can be quite pricey in the Concord area. At U Wyo, the corps fees covered the whole cost of training without needing to pay anything additional for the dorm housing. So it was more cost effective overall for the members. 

• Like 4

Ca and Covid are hyperbolic issues. My guess is Wyoming is easier for housing...

1 hour ago, lyndakay27 said:

It was a very last minute development. The venue they have traditionally used in CA was unable to host them. They found this out in March, I believe. They then had to scramble a bit to find a place that had necessary facilities (practice fields/rooms, places to stay, food.) U Wyoming has all they needed AND was willing to host. The dorms are warm, there is an indoor practice facility and a very nice music building. No complaints from my daughter anyway. 

It sounds like no corps is without their challenges, BD included. Happy they found a place to rehearse on short notice.  

When I marched we only had a huge parking lot available and no other facilities. We were basically a vagabond corps. Ten or so of us even had to pick up a car or two and move them out of the way in the lot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

Thanks for explaining the reason . March was such an unfortunate late date for BD to find that their traditional move in facilities for 2022 was unavailable to them . Makes sense now . Corps are used to having to change plans quickly and it appears BD have successfully done so ( except for maybe the weather which can always be unpredictable for just about all the corps  ) . 
 Much success to your daughter this summer !  Hope she enjoy it . I’m sure she will ! 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

And in CA, the corps has to find their own housing, which can be quite pricey in the Concord area. At U Wyo, the corps fees covered the whole cost of training without needing to pay anything additional for the dorm housing. So it was more cost effective overall for the members. 

Got it . Makes sense .

12 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

But my daughter did just text me to say, “I wish I had brought another sweater.” 😀

Laramie is my home town.  At 7,220 feet altitude, it's critical to wear sunscreen.  It may not feel hot or sunny, but people sunburn quickly and severely because of the relatively thin atmosphere.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, troopers1 said:

Laramie is my home town.  At 7,220 feet altitude, it's critical to wear sunscreen.  It may not feel hot or sunny, but people sunburn quickly and severely because of the relatively thin atmosphere.  

I remember that from Denver.  I never had a darker tan in my life than when we were there for DCI.  

• Like 2