BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Tank! Is going to be a crowd favorite. The crowd is going to go crazy for it at the victory encore 

Hey, Cappy's back. Woot woot. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Tank! Is going to be a crowd favorite. The crowd is going to go crazy for it at the victory encore 

Holy crap! Cappy is back!

The DCI season can now officially begin. 

• Like 3

Dunno who here follows WGI, but BD’s color guard has been announcing their new roster on Instagram over the last couple of weeks, and it looks like they have mopped up a BUNCH of people from AMP color guard, out of NJ — if you watched finals this year, they were the guard that did that wonderfully fun, very very charismatic Joker show. Unless I’m mistaken, BD even got the guy who played Joker!! Who was easily the MVP of Wgi this year.  

Relatedly, seeing the number of new-to-DCI mm’s has really driven home what a green, interesting season this is going to be … 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

In Kenosha in 1973.

We had a show in Prairie du Chien, WI in I think '72 or '73 that was snowed out. This was in mid May. Ended up doing a standstill in a gym. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

We had a show in Prairie du Chien, WI in I think '72 or '73 that was snowed out. This was in mid May. Ended up doing a standstill in a gym. 

Way back in the 70's that makes sense because competitions started in mid-May.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Dunno who here follows WGI, but BD’s color guard has been announcing their new roster on Instagram over the last couple of weeks, and it looks like they have mopped up a BUNCH of people from AMP color guard, out of NJ — if you watched finals this year, they were the guard that did that wonderfully fun, very very charismatic Joker show. Unless I’m mistaken, BD even got the guy who played Joker!! Who was easily the MVP of Wgi this year.  

Relatedly, seeing the number of new-to-DCI mm’s has really driven home what a green, interesting season this is going to be … 

Do you mean new to BD mm’s?  I had heard a rumor (just a rumor) the BD had a very low number of returning vets. Or was this a general observation that this will be a “green” season,  meaning new DCI mm’s throughout?

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Way back in the 70's that makes sense because competitions started in mid-May.

Correct. In fact, I can't remember a marching year where we didn't start the season in May. Some years with the last 3 or so minutes of the drill incomplete. 

Us: "What do we do?"

Staff: "Just stand still and play out the show".

Us: "Oh great. Good idea. That'll boost GE". 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Do you mean new to BD mm’s?  I had heard a rumor (just a rumor) the BD had a very low number of returning vets. Or was this a general observation that this will be a “green” season,  meaning new DCI mm’s throughout?

I meant the whole activity, but seeing the years of experience listed for BD’s colorguard members on Instagram is what brought it to mind. Like, on BD’s colorguard posts, at most I saw a few people who’d marched 2019 at BD or elsewhere (saw a few former ‘Coats in there!), but for the most part it seems like a very young guard with little DCI experience, and a good number of MM’s out of high school who’ve not even done WGI. It’s like everyone is building from the ground up, which should make things verrrry interesting, especially for BD, because so much of what they do isn’t traditional. 

Feels like it’ll make the season very unpredictable, which I love.

I also figured, but I could be wrong, that corps anticipated this. I assumed this was one reason why it was so helpful to put shows on the field last season, even if it was only a partial, non-competitive season: It just helps to have members who’ve gotten a taste of how each corps does things. And BD did their “BD Experience” last year too — I wonder if that helped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1