BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Dunno who here follows WGI, but BD’s color guard has been announcing their new roster on Instagram over the last couple of weeks, and it looks like they have mopped up a BUNCH of people from AMP color guard, out of NJ — if you watched finals this year, they were the guard that did that wonderfully fun, very very charismatic Joker show. Unless I’m mistaken, BD even got the guy who played Joker!! Who was easily the MVP of Wgi this year.  

Relatedly, seeing the number of new-to-DCI mm’s has really driven home what a green, interesting season this is going to be … 

some AMP/BD connections over the last few years

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I meant the whole activity, but seeing the years of experience listed for BD’s colorguard members on Instagram is what brought it to mind. Like, on BD’s colorguard posts, at most I saw a few people who’d marched 2019 at BD or elsewhere (saw a few former ‘Coats in there!), but for the most part it seems like a very young guard with little DCI experience, and a good number of MM’s out of high school who’ve not even done WGI. It’s like everyone is building from the ground up, which should make things verrrry interesting, especially for BD, because so much of what they do isn’t traditional. 

Feels like it’ll make the season very unpredictable, which I love.

I also figured, but I could be wrong, that corps anticipated this. I assumed this was one reason why it was so helpful to put shows on the field last season, even if it was only a partial, non-competitive season: It just helps to have members who’ve gotten a taste of how each corps does things. And BD did their “BD Experience” last year too — I wonder if that helped. 

BD is generally an older corps...its a destination for kids that work elsewhere to get the skills to go to BD. So with no 20 or 21, i can imagine not a lot of returning vets

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

BD is generally an older corps...its a destination for kids that work elsewhere to get the skills to go to BD. So with no 20 or 21, i can imagine not a lot of returning vets

Am I misremembering or wasn’t 2015 a relatively young year, after 2014 age-outs? (The point being: didn’t seem to hurt!) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have heard around a dozen vets; no returning vets at all in the drum line. Can anyone confirm?

44 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Am I misremembering or wasn’t 2015 a relatively young year, after 2014 age-outs? (The point being: didn’t seem to hurt!) 

I can't confirm but I recall alot of talk about 2015 BD being a young corps (Minus Clara lol.

Speaking of Clara, shouldn't she be with the A Corps by now? Of course that is if she is still with the BD Organization. 

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I can't confirm but I recall alot of talk about 2015 BD being a young corps (Minus Clara lol.

Speaking of Clara, shouldn't she be with the A Corps by now? Of course that is if she is still with the BD Organization. 

She’s the president of DCI now

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

She’s the president of DCI now

Nice dress, Dan. 

Honestly BD could field an all rookie corps averaging at about 19 years old and still be the one to beat.  it's not just the talent they attract as a destination corps, its about how they develop that talent and teach well designed shows.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2022 at 1:48 PM, saxfreq1128 said:

Dunno who here follows WGI, but BD’s color guard has been announcing their new roster on Instagram over the last couple of weeks, and it looks like they have mopped up a BUNCH of people from AMP color guard, out of NJ — if you watched finals this year, they were the guard that did that wonderfully fun, very very charismatic Joker show. Unless I’m mistaken, BD even got the guy who played Joker!! Who was easily the MVP of Wgi this year.  

Relatedly, seeing the number of new-to-DCI mm’s has really driven home what a green, interesting season this is going to be … 

He was in BD in 2019 and will now be the captain. I also noticed a lot of seemingly very green members, at least compared to their recent past, and not a ton moving up from other top 12 corps (which was actually refreshing). However, I feel their training program is the best of the best, so I'm sure they will achieve their usual excellence by the end of the season. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in all corps, with trying to make up for the multi-year gap and some of the widely-reported socialization challenges that a lot of teens/college kids have been having as a byproduct of pandemic isolation. A rougher start to the season than many are accustomed to seeing will probably be the norm, activity-wide. But I'm sure most will rise to the occasion/opportunity as the weeks progress.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, Chief Guns said:

Holy crap! Cappy is back!

The DCI season can now officially begin. 

Been quite busy with residency and got a little tired arguing about mask use every other topic, so I decided to take a little break! Hoping with scores coming back, it’ll be a bit more lively in here 🙂 

• Like 3