Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

5 hours ago, Flguardman said:

Like I said I wasn't offended, others might have been but I wasn't I saw them and went about my time couldn't have cared less. 

If you wanted context you could have asked me point blank what I meant and I would have told you what I meant and if want to know,  I'd didn't think bloo's guard achv was over Crowns I agreed  with Boston and BD being ever Crown in guard to be frank. So my comment had Absolutely 0 to do with BD over Crown for anything. Could I have said that yes did I feel like writing a whole thesis at the time Nope! Several people make judgmental comments as if they're judges that need more context but me personally I scroll right on past them. That's their opinion not mine.

That is fair enough. I could have asked you point blank. But my experience here is people making off the cuff comments without backing them up, myself included. As I said, no one is required to explain themselves or write a thesis, but anyone reading what we write is also entitled to draw conclusions based on what we write. I think we are on the same page. I am glad I did not offend you.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Oh sorry my comment wasn’t necessarily directed at you; I was more just agreeing with you/building off of what you said. 

Coming from someone who has very strong opinions and unapologetically expresses them, I encourage you to keep doing what you’re doing. Everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion, and for their opinion to be laughed at. If people cannot handle a little emoji, then the internet may not be the place for them

I have strong opinions too - I just do a poor job of stating them on here without sounding the way I sound. LOL.

1 hour ago, nsxanax said:

Elvis Costello sang/said it best with (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding. Happy to read the mea culpa’s and open, honest communications.

I’ve mentioned this in an earlier post regarding the brouhaha this past weekend, but having been a fairly heavy contributor to this thread of late, my thoughts are that many Crown folks had put put a lot of their chips on the table for SA.

Given how the season had been trending, it was an especially disappointing finish: big spreads and  leap frogged by BAC. Couple that with some previously perceived slights. And, well, it proved a bit too much for some of the faithful.

Those of us that remain are clear eyed about the rest of ‘22. While there’s always some tiny flame for a miracle finish, we’re pragmatic enough to adjust our expectations and put more focus on our love of RHRN and less on the accolades it may garner on the last Sat. night of the season. 

And as always, GO 👑 !!!!

That’s understandable. That’s why I always say until you beat BD head-to-head you ain’t in the lead, because I have been burned on that too many times in the past, and mostly with Crown. I really became a huge Crown fan in 2006. I never see people talk about that show, but I loved it. Although they placed 8th, I really felt that it was a big step forward for them and they were setting themselves up well for the future. Then 2008 came along and absolutely blew me away. They became my new favorite corps. If I was on here in 2009, 2012 and 2015 I would have been in the anti-BD/Crown should have won chorus. Certainly. I was devastated at finals in 2015. But, since then I have come to see that BD did deserve their wins those years. 

The great thing about 2018 for me, is that I was rooting for Vanguard since the second they finished their show in Stanford. They beat BD that night. That night, they were the leader and I knew if they got out of California in front of BD it was over and they had a clear path to the finish line. To win, you have to have two things:

1. You have to have a show that is better designed than BD’s. You have to have the show that is designed the best. Since 2007, in all years (except 2015) the corps with the better design than BD and best design won - 2008, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2018.

2. You have to be beating BD. As you all know, BD has finished in the top 2 since 2007. Therefore, if you beat BD you win because no one else will beat them. That’s remarkable.

Knowing these two things has saved me. I have had SO many disappointments over the years ‘84, ‘85, ‘86, ‘87 (Vanguard), ‘92 and ‘93 (Star), ‘95 (Madison), ‘97 and ‘98 (Vanguard), 2006 (Regiment), 2009-2012; 2015 (Crown), 2017 (Vanguard) and 2019 (Bluecoats) that I’m really numb to it. It doesn’t bother me anymore when the corps I want to win doesn’t. I have to remind myself that not everyone is in a similar position.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jaylogan said:

I still say welcome back. The introspection seems legitimate to me.

Thank you, it was. People are entitled to their own opinions and to be skeptical with what I said. My intentions were not always malicious. The only time I will say I was outright being malicious is with what I said to Incognito. Like others, I just have strong opinions and often times I go way over board in expressing those opinions and shoot off with my mouth before I think, “is that really want I want to say and how I want to say it.” 

Edited by henry7184

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

That’s understandable. That’s why I always say until you beat BD head-to-head you ain’t in the lead, because I have been burned on that too many times in the past, and mostly with Crown. I really became a huge Crown fan in 2006. I never see people talk about that show, but I loved it. Although they placed 8th, I really felt that it was a big step forward for them and they were setting themselves up well for the future. Then 2008 came along and absolutely blew me away. They became my new favorite corps. If I was on here in 2009, 2012 and 2015 I would have been in the anti-BD/Crown should have won chorus. Certainly. I was devastated at finals in 2015. But, since then I have come to see that BD did deserve their wins those years. 

The great thing about 2018 for me, is that I was rooting for Vanguard since the second they finished their show in Stanford. They beat BD that night. That night, they were the leader and I knew if they got out of California in front of BD it was over and they had a clear path to the finish line. To win, you have to have two things:

1. You have to have a show that is better designed than BD’s. You have to have the show that is designed the best. Since 2007, in all years (except 2015) the corps with the better design than BD and best design won - 2008, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2018.

2. You have to be beating BD. As you all know, BD has finished in the top 2 since 2007. Therefore, if you beat BD you win because no one else will beat them. That’s remarkable.

Knowing these two things has saved me. I have had SO many disappointments over the years ‘84, ‘85, ‘86, ‘87 (Vanguard), ‘92 and ‘93 (Star), ‘95 (Madison), ‘97 and ‘98 (Vanguard), 2006 (Regiment), 2009-2012; 2015 (Crown), 2017 (Vanguard) and 2019 (Bluecoats) that I’m really numb to it. It doesn’t bother me anymore when the corps I want to win doesn’t. I have to remind myself that not everyone is in a similar position.

I too love Crown’s 2006 In.trance.it show. First year I really followed drum corps and Crown because a few kids from my HS marched. I rewatched it not too long ago, that drill is insane - those kids were booking it the entire show. Music is very catchy, especially that opener/closer!

Edited by palmettomello

38 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

I too love Crown’s 2006 In.trance.it show. First year I really followed drum corps and Crown because a few kids from my HS marched. I rewatched it not too long ago, that drill is insane - those kids were booking it the entire show. Music is very catchy, especially that opener/closer!

Yes and the music, drill and uniforms were so great. We took my 14 year old nephew. After Crown finished he yelled, "Wow! That was top 3." I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't, but it was like '89 Star - you just knew something was brewing. I think I would probably still say 2009 is my favorite Crown show. I remember tweeting them saying, "You make me miss Star less."

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:57 AM, MusicManNJ said:

Can't be happy with a .7 spread in percussion between 1st and 2nd place. This is not a good sign. Not sure what they are down so much as I have not followed closely so you may be right about the book. 

I don’t know how much of the gap is front ensemble and how much is battery.  The battery book is not as difficult as others above them but their drill is the hardest of them all.  Arguably, they have the toughest combination of book and drill but it seems the drill isn’t factoring as heavily into the percussion content score as the book.  I don’t know if it should factor more or not, just an observation.  If not, that’s a design “flaw” with respect to judging to put such high demand on the drill when maybe the book should have been highlighted / strengthened more.  And the tough drill is also impacting cleanliness.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nsxanax said:

And, well, it proved a bit too much for some of the faithful.

Those of us that remain are clear eyed about the rest of ‘22.

Still here — just on vacation!  Looking forward to NightBeat on Sunday.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I am optimistic for Crown. I was checking the schedule and realized that they have nine performances left. That's a lot of time. Plus, Crown started to catch fire in Allentown in 2019 and began their climb toward knocking on SCV's door. They know what they have to do. Looking forward to a great remaining 2+ weeks of the season.

Agreed. In ‘13 and ‘15, ATL marked a noticeable sea change for Crown fortunes. Now I’d be imprudent to stretch the comparison too far, as BAC and Bloo are fielding very strong programs in ‘22. SCV still within striking distance as well.

But if history is a guide, long shots do occasionally come in. While some might take exception with my characterization of Crown as a “long shot,” I do so out of respect for the strength of the other elite corps fighting it out to medal this year.