Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

26 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Agreed. In ‘13 and ‘15, ATL marked a noticeable sea change for Crown fortunes. Now I’d be imprudent to stretch the comparison too far, as BAC and Bloo are fielding very strong programs in ‘22. SCV still within striking distance as well.

2015 yes, but 2013 no. Crown was in the drivers seat (with BD) for the entire season in 2013. I went to the Stanford show in 2013. The first show of the season (for BD, 2nd for Crown) was the night before and Crown beat BD. BD beat them at Stanford, and Crown beat them the next night. Crown was SENSATIONAL from the word go in 2013. Crown and BD were close all season and traded victories. I think the Cadets beat Crown once in 2013. But, Crown was never out of it. In fact, at Stanford I thought they were going to win it all because they had one of those special shows that don't come along every year.

2015 was a whole different story. IMO their show was so boring for a lot of the season, but they just kept hitting home run after home run with the additions, layering and changes that by seasons end that show was nothing short of spectacular. It was another special show. I don't know if I will really ever get completely over them losing in 2015. But, it was really fun to watch that show progress.

As I'm sure you are aware, I do not feel the same about 2022. To me, it just isn't special like 2013 and 2015 were. I think their music and guard are sensational, but I don't think that is going to be enough to help them climb out of 3rd. I also think we can't discount Bluecoats. They have a great show and could possibly overtake Crown. Vanguard also has a fantastic show musically and I wouldn't count them out, although I will be surprised if they climb out of 5th. For me, I think Boston is the one that has that special show this year, and if there is a big surprise coming it's going to be Boston winning it all, although I think it may just be too late for them to over take BD. 

Nonetheless, it's been an enjoyable season. I really like 4 of the top 5 shows (Crown, Boston, Vanguard and Bluecoats) plus the Cadets, Blue Stars, Mandarins, Regiment and Colts. It's been a long time since I've liked a majority of the shows currently in the top 12. I do know I'll be struggling to get Crown's closer out of my head for a long time. It's been nonstop going through my head for days, especially the part when they hit the Crown set - so great.

Edited by henry7184

Re sea change for Crown 2013 in ATL, it was with respect to their winning streak.

They came in 2nd to BD @ NightBEAT on Sat. night, but pulled ahead the following evening in ATL.

If memory serves, Crown would not lose again in ‘13.

Crown started their tour on the west coast that year, so they faced BD early and often.

Edited by nsxanax

5 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Crown started their tour on the west coast that year, so they faced BD early and often.

Yep. It was a smart move. Honestly, if I was one of the top eastern corps I would just start out west every season. You immediately know where you stand. I remember in 2017 and 2018 Bluecoats fans thought they were in the lead, but as soon as they faced Vanguard and BD they immediately realized they were in 3rd. Same with Crown in 2022, albeit 2nd.

I don't know if there was ever a time I was as blown away so early in the season as I was by Crown in 2013. I brought two friends who had never seen a show a show before and Crown blew them away. I knew at Stanford the title was theirs to lose. I actually loved BD's show that year - great take on Stravinsky, but Crown had that special show.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

Anyone interested in an informal DCP get-together before NightBeat?  Always fun to put faces to the screen name!  I'll be getting into W-S hopefully before 1pm (although with practices closed that may be a silly thing to do ?) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, karuna said:

Anyone interested in an informal DCP get-together before NightBeat?  Always fun to put faces to the screen name!  I'll be getting into W-S hopefully before 1pm (although with practices closed that may be a silly thing to do ?) 

I had been all about that, but with a closed practice and inclement wx likely, travel plans/arrival time are in flux. Four CrownCLUB tickets are hanging in the balance, so I’m calling in every marker I’ve got with the weather deities️.

Geeze, we remaining CrownFAITHFUL are getting slow on the draw!

Better late than never:  It’s a show day…Go Crown 👑!!!!

• Like 1