And the floodgates are opening

13 hours ago, Poppycock said:

If the job was mine Phantom would be the first corps to sit the 2022 season out, along with a few with others. 

The entire activity should be sitting the season out. and houses need to be cleaned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have bluestream fiber down here.  It kicks ###. I had that Comcast cable crap up in Aurora. 

Got a new router that I hope is lot faster along with more powerful. Should make Box5 (edit: not Flo as I had planned) more interesting. Installer was a hoot “you’ll be able to stream from the roof” (I have small ranch house). Thank goodness my mask hid my face as laughed every time I saw the installers face. He looked like a foot shorter version of WWEs Undertaker. 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Got a new router that I hope is lot faster along with more powerful. Should make Box5 more interesting. Installer was a hoot “you’ll be able to stream from the roof” (I have small ranch house). Thank goodness my mask hid my face as laughed every time I saw the installers face. He looked iow a foot shorter version of WWEs Undertaker. 😳

You need a great router nowadays with so many things using wireless.  We built  a smart house down here and everything is wireless.

sorry OT.  Carry on.

Edited by Terri Schehr

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was going to subscribe to flo this summer but I won’t be doing that this year.  

Yeah, I usually subscribe to Flo.  Try to get to at least one show.  Buy more t-shirts than I probably need. And make a few donations to corps each year.   

I'm done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Am I? To clarify…I was referring to the posters here who are calling for the demise of DCI. 

And I sympathize, to a degree.  I would prefer we at least stop at "burn down DCI and the 20 besmirched corps", rather than "burn it ALL down".

That said... 

As for marching members, these are young college age men and women. They are old enough to know and walk away from inappropriate/ inexcusable behavior from staff (stranger danger). If they feel they aren’t being treated properly…leave the situation immediately and seek assistance, legal, if need warrants. But to ride out the season and then months afterward go public…..that’s where I question the accuser. To repeat, I don’t condone the alleged behavior but I do question the reaction here without knowing all the facts…from all sides of the story.

Your posts are usually very well thought out and articulated.  Maybe this one requires a rethink.

First, the Spirit situation now has a lot of detail and a lot of corroboration, including admissions by the corps and DCI.  So there is some factual basis for reactions at this point.

Second (and more importantly) - you must be aware that drum corps tour is not something you can easily "walk away" from.  You have committed your entire summer, every ounce of energy you have, and all your personal freedom (and often, your life savings) to march drum corps.  Once you are on tour, it is essentially a hostage situation.  You may be over a thousand miles from home, often with no contact with the outside world.  The pay phones you had in your day are gone.  Some areas do not have wireless 911 service.  Some areas do not even have network coverage.  Neither of those help if your abuser(s) take or break your cell phone (assuming you had one to begin with).  Even if you have the courage to report an abusive situation, you may get further abuse from the rest of the now-hostile corps (and possibly staff) instead of the expected investigative/disciplinary response.  So precisely how does someone "walk away" from that?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You need a great router nowadays with so many things using wireless.  We built  a smart house down here and everything is wireless.

sorry OT.  Carry on.

Lol new router meant new network ID and password. I had to reset 8 items: 2 laptops, new iPad, ancient tablet, printer, scanner (dead printer), smart tv and… of course the cell phone. 🤪 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Your posts are usually very well thought out and articulated.  Maybe this one requires a rethink.

First, the Spirit situation now has a lot of detail and a lot of corroboration, including admissions by the corps and DCI.  So there is some factual basis for reactions at this point.

Second (and more importantly) - you must be aware that drum corps tour is not something you can easily "walk away" from.  You have committed your entire summer, every ounce of energy you have, and all your personal freedom (and often, your life savings) to march drum corps.  Once you are on tour, it is essentially a hostage situation.  You may be over a thousand miles from home, often with no contact with the outside world.  The pay phones you had in your day are gone.  Some areas do not have wireless 911 service.  Some areas do not even have network coverage.  Neither of those help if your abuser(s) take or break your cell phone (assuming you had one to begin with).  Even if you have the courage to report an abusive situation, you may get further abuse from the rest of the now-hostile corps (and possibly staff) instead of the expected investigative/disciplinary response.  So precisely how does someone "walk away" from that?

Not to mention many victims are in shock and/or ashamed what happened. Some want to talk to someone they trust (family, minister, etc) before they decide what to do. If on tour that ain’t gonna happen immediately. To put it bluntly some need time to process what has happened and HEAL enough to be able to go forward so the case can be properly investigated. Not the first time someone here has ignored that part of the psychological toll of abuse.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2